(Boston) Wilson Farms CSA

I have to second this re. The Romano beans. Got some the past 2 weeks at Wilson’s and they have been fab.

Week of sept 26

2.5 lbs. Bosc/Bartlett Pears
1 lb. Romano Beans
1 bu. Swiss Chard
1 bu. Beets
1 Buttercup Squash
1 bu. Kohlrabi
1 Thai Eggplant
1 Cubanelle Pepper
1 bu. Baby Bok Choy

So don’t want the beets - they have been as hard as the radishes to get through. I still have the apples from last week but they should be okay in the fridge so not stressed about them. I have so many frozen Romano beans now that I’ll have to eat these. But I like all the colors in the basket this week.

Oh - but why ONE Thai eggplant. That is just dumb.

3 Likes

Agree re: Thai eggplant. If you need ideas for the kohlrabi, it is good raw as a crudité, you can make great slaw with it (Google Kohl Slaw for one recipe) and it makes awesome pickles using a standard dill pickle recipe but wedges of kohlrabi instead of cukes.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.

I made a vegetable risotto last night (even though it was too hot for risotto IMHO) to go through a lot of veggies. The kohlrabi, Romano beans, chard, and the pepper all went in. It was a great dish to use up a ton of veggies.

It’s a little ironic - my go to dishes to use up lots of veggies are “winter” dishes but all the veggies are in season in the summer.

• pot pies
    -risotto
    -soups/stews
    -as stuffing in roasts (those huge bags of spinach cook down to nothing and are a great base for a stuffing in a pork roast)

So I’ve broken down a few times this summer and done those just to use up veggies.

The pickles are a great idea - but the down side is it just results in veggie pile up. I have jars of pickles, pickle green beans, pickled radishes … they will last me all winter - though I didn’t fullly can them so may have to see how safe that is for fridge storage.

That risotto sounds awesome!! My own experience with fridge pickles is that they stay safe and tasty for a long time (often 3 or 4 months) but eventually become too vinegary to enjoy. I am so glad you kept posting about this CSA, thanks!

Week of October 3rd - I think this is the last week

1 lb. Shell Beans
2.5 lbs. Bartlett Pears
1 bu. Broccolini
1 hd. Green Leaf Lettuce
1 bu. Gold Beets
2 Green Peppers
1 Ambercup Squash
1 pt. Grape Tomatoes
1/4 pc. Green Cabbage

I really only have the pears left from last week. They are holding up, so focused on getting through everything’s else. And it got a little chilly outside, so a lot went into a couple soups.

So … would I recommend Wilson Farm’s CSA - absolutely. It was a great value each week, overall had a great variety and I never felt like I was getting anything other than great produce. And the fact that they delivered directly to the office was unbelievably convenient.

I did get sick of the radishes and beets in particular from week to week. But those are not part of my normal vegetable rotation - and including different things was part of why I wanted to do the CSA. So I’m not upset about it.

Would I do it again … I’m not sure. Even a half share was a lot for 2 people to get through each week - which speaks to the value. So if you go out for dinner a couple nights, you’re never getting through it all.

If I didn’t feel so guilty about not eating everything every week, this wouldn’t be an issue. And next year I would have a better strategy to freeze/preserve what could be frozen rather trying to consume it all now. I know this winter I’ll be so happy I have what I do in the freezer.

I did miss going to the markets to shop for produce. I think the only things I bought all summer were onions, garlic, parsley, and tomatoes a few times. But for someone else not having to shop could be a huge perk.

Right now I need a break but come spring I’ll probably do it again.

7 Likes

@Thimes, what a true-to-life account of a season as a CSA member! I expect that documenting your experience was a lot of effort (which is why I didn’t do the same :wink:). By the end of the season, I feel like I need a break too. The feeling lasts until the refrigerator is bare again.

Beets and kohlrabi are the two items we get that I’m not that wild about. We have a week or so more to go with the CSA we belong to (Bear Hill Farm in Tyngsboro, MA). The last couple of weeks are when they give out winter squash. Looking forward to having something to tide us over into the colder weather.

When the season ends, I especially miss having salad greens that actually taste like something. And I love when we get unusual varieties of veg, like red onions of Tropea or Sugarsnax carrots.

I really hope that you enjoyed your CSA season overall and will return for more.

4 Likes

Out of season I thoroughly enjoy the hydroponic lettuces from Corner Stalk Farm, which actually taste like lettuce. http://www.cornerstalk.com/ They last beautifully in the fridge (at least two weeks) if you give the roots a bit of water. I am downtown at least two Saturdays a month so I buy it at Boston Public Market and I have also seen it at Brothers Market in Wayland but you can also get it delivered.

@Thimes I am very happy you kept this report going, it provides a ton of valuable information!

4 Likes

Hey, Gretchen, how is Brothers Market? I read that they are opening one in the new building at the corner of Main and Moody in Waltham.

It is kind of interesting. I have just popped in a couple of times but have found quirky things there I have not found other places: grapeseed oil spray after I had struck out at 2 WF and 2 other markets (hate canola and coconut). Artisanal gochujang without all the corn syrup etc (haven’t tried it yet, might be crap). Nice produce and flowers. Have not tried the butcher counter but things in it look nice. Very small footprint and some space to eat in so to get everything in the shelves are crazy high. I think it has potential. I also think it is related to Roche Bros because the wifi was named Roche Bros. Anyway, I am 2 for 2 looking for off-beat stuff there I didn’t find somewhere else. Plus it is next to Dumpling Daughter which is why I tried it.

1 Like

Wow I hadn’t heard that. Brothers would be great for me in that location! Walkable!

It appears they are owned by Roche and have an opening date of Spring 2018 I. The new Merc building. Exciting stuff.

2 Likes