(Boston) Wilson Farms CSA

I wish you wouldn’t stop, I have been so enjoying seeing the photos every week. I think many of us aspire to do more with what we have and fall short. I am often guilty of overbuying at the farmers market because it all looks so good and I am unrealistic about what I will have the energy to cook when I get home from work.

3 Likes

Not offended at all. No worries.

I’ll keep posting, I just have to stop feeling guilty that I just can’t eat it all. Again, I have company this week, so this week we should be able to eat all of this week and left overs from last week. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

@Thimes. I agree. Please don’t stop posting, though you have confirmed for me that I can’t even manage a half share. I knew this, of course, but confirmation is great!

And I totally love the CSA concept. Money going to farms, with a guarantee that they have the money that they need to plant. And yet, every time that I have joined a CSA, with the exception of the Cape Ann Fish folks, I have felt that I am buying food that I have to toss or doesn’t suit our eating style.

I have been shopping at Wilson Farms since 1995 and that won’t stop. I shop at the Union Square market and that won’t stop. But, I have to go the farm with a fixed number of dollars, and an idea of how what I buy will turn into actual meals.

Has anyone mentioned that this marvelous time with local produce is far too short?

3 Likes

Far too short. But it is New England. And it does go on into October, when the states far to the south have seen the last of their summer crops months before.

2 Likes

Last week’s CSA (august 22nd)

3/4 lb. Baby Arugula
6 ears Corn
2 Peppers
1 Chinese Eggplant
1 lb. Zucchini
2 Cucumbers
1 hd. Boston Lettuce
1 bu. Beets
1.5 lb. Plum Tomatoes
1 lbs. Green Beans

I’m getting over the beets and zucchini at this point. I like them both but week after week is getting a little old.

I have the corn still left at this point only because we’ve eaten corn a few times this week while out and about, so wasn’t in the mood for it at home. Going to have turn it into a soup or something to get through it. I also have the arugula left right now.

1 Like

If you don’t wait too much longer, cut it off the cob and freeze. We do this every year so that we have baked corn for Thanksgiving.

Good idea. If we get more corn tomorrow it will go right in the freezer.

Week of aug 29th

Very happy there was no zucchini this week but those damn radishes creeped back in. Excited about both the tomatoes and the peaches. The corn is going in the freezer (love corn but have had a ton recently).

I have the beets and most of the arugula from last week. It was just a lot of arugula. I also have 1/2 the green beans left. They may have to be frozen too.

1 bskt. Sauce Tomatoes
1 bu. Garlic
2 lbs. Peaches
1 bu. Radishes
2 Cucumbers
1.5 lb. Baby Spinach
1 hd. Red Leaf Lettuce
6 Corn
1 bu. Baby Bok Choy

hmmm. Took a pic of everything but doesn’t seem to be on my phone … sorry.

1 Like

Week of Sept 5th

1 bu. Kale
1.5 lbs. Green Beans
2 lbs. Pickle Cucumbers
2 Green Peppers
1 Chinese Eggplant
1/2 pt. Artisan Tomatoes
1 bskt. MacIntosh Apples
1.5 lbs. Zucchini

I have so much ch left from last week - spinach, green beans, beets, radishes … I have no idea what happened.

The green beans will all be blanched and frozen - lots of pickles to be made - just don’t want the radishes …

1 Like

So many cucumbers! That is a lot of pickles.

It’s going to be SOooo many pickles. Ugh.

@Thimes. Will you be building an addition to your home? I have no idea where you are located, but some one on this board, with a screen name that starts with smtu does love radishes.

1 Like

If it helps you make a dent in those cucumbers, fresh pickling cukes work great sliced up in a Greek village salad with tomatoes, feta cheese, pitted kalamata olives, and skinny rings of raw red onion. (I consider the olives and onion to be optional.) We just ate a village salad with dinner tonight, in fact.

I’m a fan of those cukes in salads because the skin tends to be mild rather than having the bitter bite that other varieties with dark green skins can have.

2 Likes

I know this is getting old but I started and feel obligated to finish.

1 Turban Squash
1 bu. Chioggia Beets
1 lb. Baby Spinach
2 Thai Eggplants
1 bag Bartlett Pears
1.5 lbs. Romano Beans
1 bu. Tuscan Kale
1 bu. Radishes

Looking forward to the Romano beans and turban squash - both things I’ve never used. Not looking forward to the radish.

6 Likes

It’s really not getting old. Thanks for the updates.

1 Like

@Thimes. I am delighted that you haven’t given up on this thread. I am surprised that you are not more excited about the pears. It has been a good fruit season.

Ah I am excited about the pears! I forgot them and then my edit window closed. I’m already planning a pear tart for the weekend.

1 Like

I absolutely endorse this. It’s not getting old – I read every report and find each list interesting even if I don’t respond.

1 Like

Week of Sept 19th

1.5 lbs. Romano Beans
1 lb. Broccoli
6 ears Corn
1 Eggplant
1 Red Pepper
1 pt. Grape Tomatoes
1 bu. Chioggia Beets
2.5 lbs. Gala Apples

Aaah - i still have the Romano beans from last week. Thankfully I have time to freeze stuff this week. The corn and all the beans are going in the freezer.

Still sick of the beets. The pears were awesome from last week.

Unfortunately the flower share ended last week, so no flowers this week.

2 Likes

A yummy thing to do with Romano beans is to braise them Turkish-style (zeytinagli). I like Romanos better for that prep than regular green beans.

1 Like