Bertuccis, Hazlet NJ

So at ShopTite in Mtown I noticed they have ripped down the old optometrist’s building which is now according to the fence signage the future home of Moe’s.

What’s a Moe’s?

Moe’s Southwest Grill is a chain.

Well there you have it. It’s a chain. I haven’t heard of this place until @RGR mentioned it.

I wonder how this place will do against the long standing chili’s a mile away. Then there is chipotle down at the next light after chili’s.

Moe’s is more like Chipotle than like Chili’s (but better).

Well we all know how I feel about chains…

And here I was hoping it was a three stooges themed place. Now that would be cool.

Or maybe like Bubbakoos?

So Ceej the one chain I would like to see around here is a The Halal Guys:

https://thehalalguys.com/

There is one in East Brunswick, so we can hope.

Or maybe we should just open one?

I’ve been to the East Brunwick for take out several times, while it’s good the deal “breaker” for me is their “famous white sauce”. Call me spoiled by the close proximity of Greek Eats and The G spot, but I prefer both their gyro’s with tzatiki sauce vs. the Halal guys white sauce. Don’t let that stop any of you from trying them, not knocking the place at all just my preference.

1 Like

What’s wrong with it? Not enough garlic?

Some of the white sauces are tahini based, so not as garlicky

As I recall the beef gyros are pretty good.

Yes, it’s a bit too plain for me vs. a nice tzatiki sauce. I just really enjoy the Greek Spot’s gyro so I’ve become very spoiled. (don’t get me started on the G spots lamb shank…)

1 Like

Hey speaking of Greek food trucks have you ever tried Uncle Gussys?

https://unclegussys.com/

Uncle Gussy’s
345 Park Ave, New York, NY 10154
(929) 600-1111

https://goo.gl/maps/fmXeCxFi5tL2

They are awesome1

"What’s the charm? I guess I just don’t get it. Build your own pile of psuedo Mexican crap and roll it in a tortilla. Is it just me, or do these places really suck? "

I don’t think of it as a Mexican place–that would be Los Corrales or Lino’s. It’s basically a wrap with more interesting ingredients (e.g., green chili sauce). And the build-your-own means I can tell them to hold the rice and (indeed) get exactly what I want in it.

YMMV.

Yeah I’m not into Chipotle, Bubbakoos, apparently Moe’s, etc. My definition of food does not include slopping rice, beans and your choice of protein in a tortilla.

And I generally try to avoid chains at all costs, because they feature centrally prepped ingredients made in a regional kitchen and trucked in, because they crowd out local startups, and because imo they lead to ubiquitously mediocre food.

But if it’s your thing, by all means go for it.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve never understood the “draw of the burrito” but it’s real, just hang around any drunk college kids to find out. It has more or less taken over White Castle’s spot as the preferred drunken eats among millennial, which honestly is a travesty in my opinion.

Burrito, pita, moo shu, sandwich, spring roll–the idea of wrapping protein et al in a grain wrapper and eating it isn’t haute cuisine, but it is common.

2 Likes

I hear good things! Fingers crossed.

For now greek eats helps my tzaziki fix

1 Like

I think we need to change the title of this thread lol.

1 Like

I would kill for a Halal Guys. Its all about the white sauce, and their hot sauce is actually HOT.

First time I went there, I noticed a sign with a warning about their hot sauce. I was arrogant. I thought, “Yeah right. No way a chain would have a hot sauce that is actually hot. Someone probably burnt their mouth and threatened to sue.” So I asked for the sauce, the person put a little squirt on there. I said I wanted more. She asked if I was sure and then put another little squirt. So I said I wanted it covered with it and she gave me this evil grin as if to say, “You asked for it.” Man, was I humbled that night.

3 Likes

How about “Oh Moe, you don’t !”

Or, “Oh, a wise guy!”

Or “Nagh, Nagh, oueep oueepp, Dooinggh!”

giphy-downsized

Yes, but how about the next morning?

Did it burn twice?

giphy

That’s when you know it was hot enough.