Beans, beans, beans....

Light, chocolate-y. We’ve made this many times. Buy good melting chocolate. We also add a touch of vanilla bean paste to the chocolate.

7 Likes

Doing some bean-specific recipe research, I came upon this free, pdf- pamphlet. The three recipes all sound delicious.

4 Likes

Thank you! Those sound delicious!

1 Like

I’ve been serving a lot of beans lately.

My quickest last minute bean recipes are :

Beans, BBQ Sauce , sugar and vinegar

Beans, Maple syrup, ketchup, Dijon, HP

Beans, curry powder, dried apricots, coconut milk

Adding a generous shake of curry powder to canned beans in tomato sauce, or canned baked beans

Most recently, I started adding minced ginger to baked beans

I started looking for miso beans, to have some slightly Asian flavourings to go with beans/lentils served as a side with mains that have more of an Asian flavour profile.

I’m going to try this recipe with miso.

6 Likes

Sounds good! What kind of beans are you using?

1 Like

I’ve been using navy beans or black turtle beans, mostly. Using dried beans or canned beans.

Probably canned navy beans for the miso butter brothy beans.

These Breton Beans were good.

3 Likes

Wow, some great recipe and product ideas here!

One that we like a lot that I haven’t seen is the Camellia brand green baby limas. I know their red beans get all the love, but these limas are great for butter beans and more veggie based bean dishes. I’m also a fan of the Camellia brand black eyed peas. You can get these on amazon for a good price if you are willing to get a six(ish) pack.

I welcome more ideas of simpler veggie bean dishes as one of my kids is now vegetarian (not vegan) and I am trying to make things that she likes so she can get protein and good for others in my family too so i don’t have to cook multiple dinners.

5 Likes

Yellow-eyed beans are one of my favorites, along with all of the other eyed beans that grow in my area (mid-Atlantic). Creamy, mild, great in lots of things. I tend to go with a bean salad and include some small red beans as well as steamed green beans plus herbs, celery, and a vinaigrette. Also, yellow-eyes are really good in soups as they hold their shape nicely after cooking. This NYT recipe is great although not terribly unique. If you access: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012467-rustic-rancho-gordo-yellow-eye-bean-soup

6 Likes

What are your thoughts on Cuban black beans? Should I add tomato paste or not? Some recipes call for it and some don’t.

2 Likes

The version our cuban friends taught us doesn’t have tomatoes, just onions and peppers in the sofrito.

I’ve made black beans with tomato paste too, and they taste good, but different than the version I learned from them.

2 Likes

Havana-style black beans don’t have tomato according to people there, but there are some Cuban black bean recipes that do call for them, and in other countries tomato in some form does get included.
What I like about no tomato is that it makes for really nice black color, along with not soaking the beans beforehand.

I’m a huge fan of this salad and wish I could make it here, but there’s nothing here to that can give me the pleasant bitterness of radicchio.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Chakalaka, new to me

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/pages/article/recipe-south-africa-chakalaka

https://cookpad.com/za/recipes/6014613-modern-day-chakalaka

Also new to me, Vernors Baked Beans!!!

3 Likes

I’d like to try that, but would love some substitutes for canned baked beans. I have lots of dried beans.

I’m making it with dried .

What kind? Apparently navy beans are usually used for the canned version. Maybe any small white bean will work. Any extra steps or ingredients, like sweeteners? Any pork? I have some char siu in the freezer.

You know what? Maybe you can just invite me over.

3 Likes

I’m using navy beans. By using homemade beans, it’ll cut out some of the salt and sugar. The rest of the ingredients will add plenty of flavour!

Seems all the recipes rely on canned, so I’m just using the other ingredients and substituting cooked from dry beans for the canned beans. I’m not going to add any pork because I only have hot dogs and deli ham in the fridge right now.

This one is vegetarian

2 Likes

I found a Chakalaka made with cooked beans, instead .

Oprah-approved Chakalaka

1 Like

Ysy!

What does aromat taste like in use?