Barbeque, BBQ, Bar-B-Q [Houston, Texas]

The sandwiches look amazing! Is that turnips or mustard greens? I wish more people made mustard greens, turnips are so bitter to me. I go to Treebeard’s for mustard greens and theirs are very memorable. I’ve made them at home many times with the Treebeard’s cookbook.

Collards.

Forgot to include the website link.

It still doesn’t look very big!

Seating capacity 140, per a sign on the wall. Per an interview, seating capacity of the original was 8 (indoors) and 30 (patio/deck).

Through the double doors at the far end of the first room pictured on the home page of the website is another room which probably seats at least twice the first room. The place was very busy but not crowded when I was there.

1 Like

So an acquaintance from another forum, (Jim Buchanan) has left his old job burning meat for Wes Jurena at Pappa Charlie’s and is starting his own place, (Buck’s BBQ) at Lucky’s Pub, 2520 Houston Ave. You may have seen his new location in the news recently as the place into which a white semi trailer floated.

Soooooo anyway, the Grand Opening has been delayed a bit and he’s been doing weekend popups at the newly opened Great Heights Brewing Co., (also members of the aforesaid other forum).

However, THIS weekend he’ll be at Lucky’s Pub West, at Barker Cypress and I-10.

To cut and paste from that thread,

This weekend we’ll be posted up at Lucky’s Pub West (Katy Fwy and Barker Cypress) for the “Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day” celebration being hosted by the Rod Ryan Show. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go the JJ Watt hurricane relief fund. I’ll post a link to the event page in a separate post, but this will be a blowout of epic proportion. Bring your butts to Katy and support the folks who need it most.

So if you’re in the hood, give it a shot. And don’t bother asking if he knows me. He’ll deny it.

:wink:

2 Likes

BBQ joint rankings by Alison Cook in her 2017 Top 100 List (see the full list here)).

Killen’s - # 8 - outranks both Killen’s Steakhouse and Killen’s STQ
Others ranking from 31 -100 (listed alphabetically):
Corkscrew, Gatlin’s, Pinkerton’s, Roegel’s, Tejas,

1 Like

Address is wrong. It’s 17754 Katy Freeway at Barker Cypress.

Read this too late. It’s just as well as I don’t want to ruin my record of not have been west on I-10 at Beltway 8 once in at least 5 years, even though I live in Spring Branch, (a trip to San Antonio/Austin), although I’ve been south and east many times.

Hello buddy Jaymes, I am game for a meet up out there.

This HURTS! (I’ve already had lunch and I’m full) :disappointed:

House-made smoked brisket Ruben (sic) @ Roegels, Thursday special.

5 Likes

I want that sandwich, badly.

I have a rare Thursday off. Anybody game for lunch?

That’s kind of late notice, isn’t it?

(For future reference, it’s about 10:30 pm on Thursday night.)

I went without you but really meant the 21st.

Hey… I’m working that Thursday and all the others Thursdays.

2 Likes

According to the Press Pappa Charlie’s has closed. Jurena cited Harvey - said business never picked up afterwards - but also thought the location wasn’t good. Just catering and special events on tap for now but thinking of another location or may give it all up.

Boo-hoo. I did like that one but agree location could have been better (and parking).

1 Like

Good to know he’s not going away completely…but Cypress is a long way out there. I’ve probably had my last taste of Pappa Charlies

Sorry, Charlie.

I’ve never eaten there but it has to be better than the Goode to Well Below Average BBQ outpost in Cypress.

1 Like

Wow…that is looking great. Nice pic! I’m ready for one of those now lol

2 Likes

Unless you hit them on an off day, it will be.

I had this last Thursday. It had to have at least half a pound of smokey pastrami on it. I finished it, but I didn’t feel good about myself. I should have eaten half and taken half home.

To be honest, I’m not a huge sauerkraut fan, and I didn’t even notice it being on there. If you ARE a sk fan, you should ask for extra.

Pastrami, sauerkraut, Swiss cheeses, coarse mustard on rye.

1 Like