August 2022 Cookbook of the Month Nominations

Hey HOs, I know folks are just getting going on our current COTM, but yes, it really is time to start the selection process for August. So let’s start throwing out our nominations for a book to cook from for the so-called dog days.

To nominate a book, please make a comment with the title in ALL CAPS. Titles not in ALL CAPS will not be counted. You may nominate as many books as you wish, but we hope you will do so with the intention of cooking along if your nominee becomes our August selection.

Nominations will close on Monday, July 18, at 11am EDT. I will then tally the nominations and post a voting thread to decide between the top contenders.

To see a list of past COTMs, visit our HO COTM Archive. You can also visit our archive of COTM from the Chowhound days for older selections.

There is still plenty of time to cook from our current selection, Flavors of the Sun, a book I highly recommend.

Pulling some from last month’s nominations:
THE WOK: RECIPES AND TECHNIQUES by J. Kenji López-Alt

BLACK FOOD edited by Bryant Terry

THE COMPLETE BOOK OF GREEK COOKING by The Recipe Club of St. Paul’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral

THIS WILL MAKE IT TASTE GOOD by Vivian Howard This is a book that has condiment-type recipes you can put up now and recipes for using them. Herbs go into “little green dress,” summer tomatoes into “red weapons,” tomatoes and peppers into “community organizer”. I’ve got the “can-do kraut” at home right now and it’s terrific.

ISRAELI SOUL by Michael Solomonov and Steven Cook

ETHIOPIA by Yohanis Gebreyesus and Jeff Kohler

I’ve also looked at some of the books others nominated last month, and here are a few that look like they might be good August books.

FAST, FRESH, & GREEN by Susie Middleton

BARBECUE ADDICTION - I actually have this book and have cooked from it with much success, just not recently. That was before Beyond and Impossible existed, so I made just the veg, and it was still a good experience.

I DREAM OF DINNER (SO YOU DON’T HAVE TO) by Ali Slagle - I had never heard of this one until it started being nominated, but I’ve checked it out on EYB, and I like the look of it. Produce-forward, it should be a good fit for August. Also it’s pretty unusual for a non-vegetarian book to have tempeh recipes, and it’s pretty cool that this one does.

Just wondering if people want to consider extending the July book, given overall participation is down, it’s the summer, and so on and so forth.

I DREAM OF DINNER is a complete sentence.

1 Like

FAST, FRESH & GREEN by Susie Middleton

FRESH MEXICO by Marcela Valladolid

I DREAM OF DINNER by Ali Slagle

BLACK FOOD edited by Bryant Terry

If you are interested in doing that, just nominate the current book. It can go through the process again just like the others being nominated.

1 Like

My nominations are BARBECUE ADDICTION, MESA MEXICANA, and THE FOOD LAB.

Just a reminder that nominations close tomorrow, July 18, at 11am EDT. Get your nominations in while there is still time!

BLACK FOOD since I haven’t gotten to it yet, and want to
ETHIOPIA since I haven’t gotten to it yet, and want to
FLAVORS OF THE SUN since I haven’t gotten to it yet, and want to

Since @Saregama suggested it, I will also re-nominate FLAVORS OF THE SUN. Since I missed the first two weeks of this month, and there is still plenty I’d like to cook from it.

FLAVORS OF THE SUN extension

Nominations are now closed. A voting thread will be up shortly.

Your voting thread for August is here:

Nominations for September are happening now: