Apple pie

Apple pie ought to have its own thread. How do you like your apple pie? Favourite recipes?

1 Like

This caught my eye.

1 Like

All butter crust…sliced apples…sugar…tapioca flour…BUTTER.
No spice, just apple/sugar/butter trinity.

3 Likes

All butter crust, streusel topping, mixture of sweet and tart apples, cinnamon. Serve with a thick slab of cheddar cheese. That’s about it for me! I use flour to thicken but I don’t mind tapioca flour. I have made cheddar crusts before and they are good, but the cheese flavor is muted enough that I no longer bother - I just add cheese to my slice!

This year for my Thanksgiving pie I was too lazy to make a second grocery run for Granny Smith apples, so I just used what I had in the house (golden delicious, Macintosh and Empire or Gala). Very bland. Some firm, tart apples in the blend are a must. However, a couple of Macs are also a must because they melt down into luscious apple goo.

2 Likes

Last time I used a combo of granny smith, honey crisp and Macintosh apples. I sweetened the filling with one ripe, mashed Bartlett pear instead of sugar, a bit of vanilla bean and a few tsp. of butter tossed into a dbl. butter pie crust. I enjoy this crust recipe and the shortcut methods.

3 Likes

I think the use of cheese in the pastry must be Delia’s take on the traditional way we have in Northern England in serving a slice of cheese, alongside apple pie (we also do that alongside a rich fruit cake).

She uses an interesting pairing of apples in the recipe. Bramleys which cook down to a fluff and are very sharp (and would be the go-to apple for cooked dishes) and the sweeter Cox which holds its shape

1 Like

French apple tart, simple and good, thinly sliced tart apple on puff pastry, sprinkled with butter and sugar.

Here’s similar but using apricot jam.

1 Like

I’ve some fond memories of McDonald’s apple pie, ate a lot as a kid, though haven’t had it for a long time. Are they still good or they change their recipe? I remember the distinctive cinnamon taste.

Very common in Ontario and other parts of Canada to add a slice of Ontario cheddar on top of apple pie, and sometimes fruitcake, thanks to the British and Irish influence here.

Now baked instead of fried.
I haven’t had one in years either.

We are making many different variations on apple pies but recently liked a version of Dorie Greenspan’s Alsatian Apple Tarte with doesn’t involves many spices to let the apples shine but works with a nice light vanilla custard. Found this recipe on a blog - the only difference is that we also use a bit of almond flour (0.25-0.5 cups) in the pie dough to give some extra nutty background flavor

3 Likes

One of our better colonial exports. :grinning:

1 Like

My Xmas dinner includes a roasted duck or goose (so that is British, as well as German and Czech), and plum pudding with hard sauce. And Xmas crackers.

2 Likes