Any ideas how to oven bake these?

Meat guy said they’re great on the grill. Yeah but, it’s 48 degrees here and my Weber has been retired to rest in the garage until at least next May. A cooking site I Googled said 20 minutes on Bake at 400 degrees–but that was after frying the bacon and braising the tenderloin. Obviously I do not want to deconstruct this, to do that. Suggestions welcomed…

Could you not just do them in your oven broiler?

1 Like

The last time I broiled bacon slices, our oven caught on fire. Quite hesitant to relive that experience. :open_mouth:

Wow, with bacon? That’s impressive. Unfortunately I think the direct heat of the broiler is probably the best way to go for these indoors.

I have to be careful with the sausages from my local butcher and our gas broiler (or grill to us English).
There’s a pretty high fat content, and even after pricking them, the last two times they’ve ended up spouting a jet of hot fat straight into the flames. This doesn’t end well…

3 Likes

With unwrapped pork medallions that size, you would sear both flat sides then 10 minutes in a preheated 375F oven. But you need the bacon to cook without burning. I would brush a little applesauce mixed with mustard on both sides of the pork, forego the stovetop sear, and bake on a rack in a sheet pan at 375F. Maybe pour a little cider, beer, or wine into the sheet pan so the drippings don’t scorch and you have the makings of a pan sauce. I think it should take 20-30 minutes but you’d have to judge based on the bacon.

2 Likes

The bacon remained uncooked after the pork medallions were baked. No real loss though, seems like the bacon insulated the pork to the extent that 30 minutes at 400 degrees was just right.

After dinner, I nuked the bacon and gave it as a treat to the pups. They were very happy.

4 Likes

Wait, is that pork wrapped in pork?

I wonder if it works have been better to unravel the bacon and semi cook that first and then re-skewer, but that probably would be messy and more time than it’s worth.

1 Like

Usually the bacon or fat wrapping around tenderloin is much thinner than shown on photo for indoor cooking.

But with the bacon of that size, maybe a marinade with some honey in it might work.

2 Likes

I regularly slice pork tenderloin into medallions and saute them. They’re usually done after a few minutes on each side

2 Likes

Exactly . Way better control stove top. With a saute pan and lid .

2 Likes

Culinary torch!
Seems like you’d want low/slow to let the bacon fat infuse the center cut, then finish by torching the bacon.
All y’all sou-viders out there — thoughts?

2 Likes

:wink:

last week, I marinaded some quick fry pork chops with soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic powder, lime juice shaoxing wine, sesame oil and five spice powder. I added enough five spice until I can smell the fragrance emitting from it, After 24 hours, I pan fried it using dusting of sweet potato starch, Son consumed all of it ( I am on a red meat free diet) saying it is one of his favorites.
So, a few days later, I used the same marinade on a few rib and center cut pork chops However, they are not the quick fry nor are they thick chops. Because it is in the thirteen or twenties here, I used our all clad grill pan, sprayed it on the pan grilled it for him It smelled fantastic ,Next meal, he decided to fry it again. This time, he said instead of cooking it with higher heat, he did it on medium low, so that the chops can cook inside, then when he it was thoroughly cooked, he turned up the heat to give it a brown crispy crust. He says that was better than grilling.
I went back to the grocery and bought some more of the quick fry as he does like those.
This is not oven baked but it was very fragrant and I can tell it was quite tasty!

2 Likes

Curious why you marinated it for so long.

1 Like

the flavors is better.

2 Likes