Am I breaking some rule or etiquette faux paux?

@hungryonion

"### Consider replying to more people

You’ve already replied 3 times to @Night07 in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

If you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, send them a personal message."

I tried to respond to @Night07 on the Hong Kong thread, and this missive popped up. Am I being discouraged from responding publicly? or, is this a quirky response from the Discourse software? I’ll proceed accordingly. Thanks.

No idea if you are breaking rule but you sometimes get that on a long thread.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply and clarification. Have not seen this response before.

The system generates it. I think it is there to nudge the poster to evaluate if their post is of general interest related to the thread or if perhaps it has become a personal exchange that should be continued elsewhere.

1 Like

This does not happen on all boards:
I was one of the early complainers. At it’s worst it was nearly impossible to follow some threads because rarely would one stay on topic. One would have to really dig deep within a long thread to find something related to the topic. Lots of personal conversations with little content. I suggested folks use the messaging rather than break the flow of topic related posting, I was in no uncertain terms shut down by some moderators … I gave up, if you can’t beat them join them, I’m as guilty as anyone else at the moment. Regardless I would still rather stay more on topic and have less discussion within a thread. It’s a particular turn off for new and infrequent posters. There used to be a lounge option or something like that allowed conversations among posters … I am certain this was not directed specifically to you, but more of an automatic … cool it !

1 Like

I did not know that! Good to know!

1 Like

Huh… I’ve never seen that before but that is odd. Probably could just do a reply on the main topic and quote as well.

I changed the default software setting of ’ max consecutive replies ’ (Number of posts a user has to make in a row in a topic before being prevented from adding another reply.) from 3 to 8. This should solve it.

6 Likes

Just to clarify, I meant it is good know that it is recommended one " evaluate if their post is of general interest related to the thread".