Am I a hypocrite?

I did a bad thing.

I read the ingredients in my lifelong favorite open pit bbq sauce. The first ingredient, before even water, is high fructose corn syrup. I am, of course, aghast and appalled, but not so much so that I am willing to give it up. As an outspoken food critic, am I a hypocrite?

1 Like

Yes, but so what?

2 Likes

Live and let live.

1 Like

Someone needs to start a “Confess your culinary sins” thread. :rofl:

And I don’t know how much of a anti-HFCS you are, but it’s safe to say you’ve probably eaten a lot of it, it’s hard to avoid.

1 Like

What about being an “outspoken food critic” precludes you from consuming high fructose corn syrup?

4 Likes

Embrace the syrup. Let it caress you .
We have El Presidente extolling the virtues of well done steak with ketchup, so I feel all bets are off in our new entrepreneurial society.
No more regulation so eat at your own risk.
We’re on our own now .

3 Likes

Having vices makes you more human!

3 Likes

YES!!! (all I read is the title that’s enough for me)

4 Likes

Can only assume BBQ sauce makes up a tiny fraction of your daily intake of food. It’s a non issue

2 Likes

You don’t make your own and it took you this long to even read what’s in that bottled goo? Shocking! :astonished: :grin:

2 Likes

So what sauce are we talking about? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Open Pit

1 Like

Unless you’re also the president of the Anti HFCS Board i think it’s a non-issue. Plenty of well known chefs have a weakness for total junk food, which doesn’t invalidate their professional work

3 Likes

Ah yes, I am a true moron lol. I managed to not read the first sentence correctly. Sorry. I may have had a beer or few :smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like a topic to a new post. That’s the junkiest junk you crave when no one’s looking

2 Likes

I think it depends. In this case, I lean toward a no. For example, I don’t think it is hypocrite to like to eat McDonald and also recognize its negative impact on our society. No more different than a tobacco smoker can simultaneously enjoy smoking or also understand smoking is a health hazard.

I think you get to become a hypocrite when you apply a different rule on others than yourself. For example, you try to limit other people’s access to high fructose corn syrup but not limiting yourself.

2 Likes

The science doesn’t seem to support the angst about high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup#Obesity_and_metabolic_disorders and read the articles in the footnotes. HFCS seems to bear the brunt of the responsibility for poor behaviors in our culture. People eat too much, consume too many sugars of many kinds, and otherwise make poor choices. They get fat and end up with metabolic and other health issues.

1 Like

Open pit is my favorite bottled BBQ sauce as well, it doesn’t have that nasty (imo) liquid smoke in it

1 Like

The amount of HFCS bbq sauce you rub on the meat pales compare to the sugar in let’s say, a cup of orange juice. Yes its sugar, not HFCS, but I don’t think its much better.

Like I don’t feel much healthier when I drink Mexican coke with cane sugar.

1 Like

If you’re drinking Mexican Coke for health
reasons it means you’re doing it wrong…
:smiley:

4 Likes