Aldi 2022 >

Lebkuchen!!

2 Likes

I found the mini ones and bought a package. The orange ones (it was a variety pack) were definitely the best!

1 Like

I’m gutted to announce that I just bought two legitimately good German Christmas cookie packages at Lidl (sorry not Aldi but it’s germane to this thread) and I’ve eaten so much of both that I’m swimming in a deep pool of regret at the moment.

The brand is “Favorina” and the items are: (1) rectangular biscuit things labelled “dark chocolate filled with orange marzipan” and (2) chocolate covered “gingerbread hearts with apricot.”

Both are very good, but the marizpan one is excellent.

2 Likes

SCORRRREEEEE: grabbed a Frenched rack of lamb at 50% off today. Bummed to see a rib roast that was also 50% off, but I’d already bought one when they first arrived at full price.

The Dungeness crab was $10 off. It’s a nice special treat, especially at $35.

2 Likes

Highly recommend the black tiger shrimp. They are plump, YUGE, and very tasty. $12.49 in the frozen seafood section.

3 Likes

farmed or wild?

Wild-caught.

1 Like

Thank you!

A dinner with all Aldi ingredients: pork burnt ends in bbq sauce (tender, a bit on the fatty side, not too sweet sauce), mac n cheese (perfectly creamy), and sweet corn. Cheap, lazy, absolutely decent.

4 Likes

Those pork burnt ends are delicious.

2 Likes

Right? I mean, mos def for prepared supermarket stuff. I had pretty low expectations, so this was a nice surprise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also liked the apple strudel from the freezer. The pastry is nice and kronchy, and the apple filling has a hint of cinnamon and is not too sweet. My PIC even whipped up some Schlagobers for it, with which I’d covered the strudel before scraping it off to make it look more… uh… photogenic :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ll take mit schlag over without any day.

3 Likes

I can recommend the carnitas from Aldi, too. Made for a quick, satisfying taco dinner. I did dump some of the fattier chonks cuz I can’t eat that stuff, but the overall flavor and meat quality was good. Nuked, then crisped up in the air fryer.

1 Like

Was this a store-brand? Aldi here has also carried the Del Real brand, which is available elsewhere and I’ve had.

Yup. Same area near the produce where they have the ravs, shitty pizzas, and other pre-cooked items. That’s where I got the pork burnt ends, which were also very decent.

2 Likes

I can recommend both the sausage & cheese ravioli as well as the Botticelli brand marinara (made in Italy). First sauce I didn’t have to doctor up at all – well, besides Rao’s at almost twice the $$.

3 Likes

Sorry, I just checked the package and they are NOT wild caught. They are farmed in Vietnam, but are BAP certified.

1 Like

Gave another Aldi pizza a try: Mama Cozzi’s rising crust with spinach, mushrooms & garlic. Added sautéed baby bellas (cuz you can never have too many shrooms) & a few extra leaves of baby spinach.

The crust was lacking salt overall, the garlic was barely discernible, and I found the crust too bready, although fans of this type of crust would probably enjoy it more.

Think we’re done with Aldi pizza experiments for now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YAY for the Priano arrabbiata. Has a serious kick for a commercial sauce.

1 Like