Aldi 2022 >

Currently at $4.39 for 3oz.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to Aldi much in the past few years. I’ve gotten used to free curbside pickup at other stores and am not willing to pay at Aldi, so I save up my trips. But the idea of slogging through even a small store is not that appealing.

I frequently go for the lox if it’s available which half the time, it isn’t. Priano frozen Italian items are good but I’ve never seen those cookies, nor the DK wafers. I’ll have to look for that lemongrass paste. Thanks for reporting. I’ll have to pull up this week’s ad since I no longer get a paper one in the mail.

1 Like

I cannot recommend the lemongrass paste. It’s pretty flavorless. However, if they still have the yellow habanero paste, that one’s pretty good. Nice heat!

2 Likes

Thanks.

NAY on the cheesespaetzle from the freezer. More odd sweetness from the caramelized onions, and it looked like something that would be served in a HS cafeteria.

Added a 4-cheese mix and a bunch of black pepper, but it couldn’t be saved.

Nope.

2 Likes

The closest Aldi to me is in Salem, NH. I’ve been once before years ago, and found it…well, lacking. Had to go back up to Salem this past weekend, and with all of the raves on a FB board I’m on, I figured I’d try it again.

Like @brucesw 's store, the Salem store had undergone a major change with a reorg on the layout (same produce section up front).

So I browsed, and picked up the following: extra sharp cheddar from WI (I’m always up for a new-to-me cheddar), the shrimp and crab ravs as recommended by @linguafood , as well as goat cheese and caramelized onion ravs (didn’t see her “too sweet” comment until AFTER my purchase), Irish butter, ground lamb (no baby lamb chops, which was my main goal), and then just stuff…salted cashews, pita chips, dark chocolate sea salt caramels (those are REALLY good), instant oatmeal for work breakfasts if I’m hungry, and the German spiced windmill cookies.

I found the cheddar cheese creamier than expected, and not anywhere near as sharp as I was expecting. Cabot’s Seriously Sharp or Trader Joe’s English Coastal Cheddar are my usual go-to’s. But the slices of cheese were a good Scooby Snack on Saturday afternoon with Wheat Thins, and it certainly won’t go to waste.

Oatmeal - meh. But again - it’s a work breakfast if I’ve forgotten to bring in some When Pigs Fly bread to toast or English muffins.

Everything else is on hold until I get around to trying them - probably trying one of the ravs tomorrow night. Although why I haven’t opened the Spekulatius yet is beyond me. :wink:

For me - Aldi’s is a “if I’m in the neighborhood” store, which isn’t that often. But I’ll pop in if I’m in the area to see if there’s anything new I want to impulse buy.

1 Like

Hey now! I only bought the shrimp & crab ravs on a whim, but I haven’t tried them yet. I seem to recall one of our Facebook group members deeming them serviceable.

We are lucky in that we have two Aldis in town, one at each end, with one of them a smidgen closer than the other (3.4 miles vs. 3.8 :joy:)

However, that one’s near the (mostly empty) mall & not much else, whereas the other one is almost directly across from TJ’s, near Wegmans, Petco, and my favorite dispensary.

I do go for specific items (and surprises, natch!) like their gem lettuces, spinach, smoked salmon, fish, the Turano bread, and the brioche buns.

1 Like

Yes the sea salt caramels are GOOD! Fortunately they moved them when they rearranged the store and I haven’t found them yet (winkwink, nudgenudge). Same thing with the sea salt pita chips, which had gone downhill a little (different supplier I imagine). One, maybe two, granola varieties are the only Aldi cereals I’ve liked. Haven’t seen the Irish butter but they used to always have Kerrygold and I think I haven’t seen it the most recent 2 trips. I always go for the Winternacht Pfeffernuese when it’s available.

ETA: Meant to mention the Pane Turano is one of my main reasons for going, now that I ‘can’t find’ the caramels and pita chips.

3 Likes

Sorry - should have mentioned that.

As for their breads - I forgot to mention I looked at about 3 different kinds that I wanted to try, but since I still had an almost full loaf of When Pigs Fly sourdough, and a half loaf of When Pigs Fly Orange, Cranberry and Toasted Walnut bread, AND a half loaf of brioche bread…I chose not to get any more. Next time.

As for an Aldi, TJs, Wegmans, and Petco being in the same vicinity? That would be an ouchie on my wallet. LOL

1 Like

OK, tried the goat cheese and caramelized onion raviolis, and I thought to make a savory sauce to try and counteract the sweetness oreviously commented upon.

A minced shallot was sauteed, and a large handful of cremini mushrooms that needed to be used were chopped and added. About 1/4 cup of white wine added and reduced, then 1/2 cup of mushroom broth from a half cube. Dried thyme was added, reduced some more, then about 1/4 cup of heavy cream and let that simmer down, adding some freshly ground pepper at the end.

The ravs were boiled and drained, added to the sauce to heat up, and plated with some minced fresh parsley on top.

Not bad, but yeah. Too sweet. If/when I go back, won’t be a repurchase.

3 Likes

The “5 cheese” ravioli were just meh. Also, there’s only 4, unless I can’t count anymore: ricotta, parm, mozz, provolone. Huh. ETA: missed the romano. Not that you’d be able to taste more than 2-3 cheeses combined anyway.

I did buy the entire stock of the dark chocolate wafers before they’re gone:

3 Likes

I’ve been buying their semi-dry (or semi-fresh? not sure what to call them) 3-cheese tortellini for soups. My confusion on what to call them is they’re not quite dry and used to be on the regular shelves, with a fair shelf life (2 months at least), then about 6 months later they’ve moved them to the refrigerated section.

They make pretty good tortellini soup, which is something my son asks for fairly regularly.

I believe we’ve tried all of the frozen ravioli you and @LindaWhit have mentioned, plus a few others over the last couple of years, and were not too impressed with any of them.

I got a couple of their Choceur-branded hazelnut chocolate bars last Thursday and at least got to taste a bit from each (milk, dark choc); they’re pretty good. But then 2 of my daughters came home from their respective colleges this weekend and the bars disappeared.

This was a story on my morning news…

“Discount supermarket chain Aldi announced that it’s discounting Thanksgiving staples so that they will match 2019 prices.”

Source:

5 Likes

In my state (NY) Aldi does not sell alcohol, but they do sell advent calendars that contain alcohol where permitted. And it causes a frenzy!

NB: I don’t agree with the author’s line about horrid cheeses.

Yah, I call total BS on “horrid cheeses.” We all know plenty of them are actually respectable brand names.

I might grab the hot sauce calendar today. No booze in Penna :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The hot sauce advent calendar has been fun so far, although the surprise is spoiled a bit by the fact that all sauces are listed on the back of the calendar :no_mouth:

I really liked the huge selection of Lebkuchen this time around, although Dominosteine and a lot of those things I adored as a kid are simply too sweet for me now. The smaller chocolate covered Lebkuchen have orange zest and nuts in them - really good quality.

4 Likes

I tried some German-produced stollen bites from Lidl last week and was sad not to enjoy them. Maybe I’ll try Aldi for Lebkuchen!

I find most Stollen - even the fancy ones from Germany to be pretty uninteresting, and often dry AF. Their only saving grace for me is the marzipan content, but even that doesn’t sway me to get one of those dusty mofos.

The Lebkuchen is really very good. I got the smaller round ones with the chocolate coating.

1 Like

Today’s mission is my first-ever trip to Aldi!!

3 Likes

Yay! Whatcha planning on getting?