Alcohol limoncello

This thread inspired me to start my own batch. I really like limoncello, but think limes are twice as good as lemons. This is what’s brewing, already turned a neon green just an hour after adding the grated lime peel:

And for a great reaction shot to tasting his first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGim6_MvpnY

1 Like

I tried that already, but thanks anyway.

ROFL! I actually sample mine at the different stages…when it first goes onto the zest, when it comes our of the jug, and before it goes into the bottle, blended with simple syrup.

I’m sorry, I didn’t drink it. Why not try the lemon tea? It tastes good.

Because we’re not talking about tea? Lots of things taste good, but not all things are good substitutes.

Naf – I got a good limoncello – not too sweet – at the Saturday farmer’s market in Silver Spring, MD. It’s the only one I’ve found that wasn’t too sweet. I haven’t been able to track them down, however, and welcome suggestions

1 Like

Update on my lime version: it came out wicked good! There’s a lot of sites out there with recipes and advice, and I found this calculator very useful for the finishing touches.

https://limoncelloquest.com/limoncello-calculators/limoncello-alcohol-percentage-calculator

I selected 40% ABV as my ultimate destination, and the least sweet level, and got amounts of water and sugar to make the precise amount of sugar syrup to add for the final product.
So far it’s been very nice for adding a spoonful to a margarita, and I also made an excellent slushie of just cold watermelon cubes and a jigger of the limoncello buzzed with the immersion blender stick.

4 Likes

That’s a great website. I’ve been using it for years.

@Sunshine842 thanks for this - it is indeed charming. (I hope I might someday be this coherent in another language while actually getting. The recipe and tips across!)

I’m finally getting to this project (by which I mean I ordered the alcohol and have a giant bag of lemons from the tree stockpiled and hoarded).

I’ll be using vodka, though, so thanks for the link for the calculations.

I may also go rogue and try an orange and sweet lime version, because citrus is a plenty at the moment!

And on the final rogue frontier - I’m going to do a sous vide version to see how the sped up version tastes on a relative basis too.

Will report back…

1 Like

I have a friend who has a citrus grove nearby…I see lots of playing in the next few months.

1 Like

It was actually very clearly done, yes… Some people might not know that “biologic” would mean “organic” I guess. I took a second look when it asked for “number 10 lemons”, wondering if my lemons were 10-gauge or 12-gauge :slight_smile: - but I figured that part out.

I third that request!

belatedly I found this. Thank you!

1 Like

@Sunshine842 Circling back on this to thank you again for the links.

I made limoncello twice as it turns out, and orangecello once when there were lots of oranges to zest.

I used the sous vide setup, but didn’t like the flavor enough even after “cooking” much longer that way than recipes suggest. So I ended up zesting more fruit and steeping further, which helped.

Of course I didn’t actually need to do that, because they’ve now been aging in the cupboard for several months anyway :joy:

I finally filtered again and decanted the results into giveaway size bottles, which reminded me to come back here.

I will say that I don’t love the orangecello on its own - I’m sure it will make lovely cocktails, but it’s not a patch on the limoncello for drinking on its own!

4 Likes

Nice . The best I ever had was the meloncello in Sorrento . I made the limoncello with meyer lemons . Turned out so fabulous. My neighbor drank most of it .

3 Likes

Amazing!

Gotta ask - when you zested, did you zest with a microplane or, a peeler?

Yeah, This was really good, Tried multiple times.

I did both for different batches.

The zested version had somewhat better flavor but needed more filtering - I think I strained it 3-4 times to get the zest particles out.

1 Like

I use a microplane. I filter through a muslin bag then through a coffee filter. No bits.

1 Like

I ordered fine cheesecloth / muslin for the final straining and it did the trick.

(The coffee filter took too long.)

1 Like