Would you buy a fridge that makes ice spheres?

I have the FP fridge with bottom freezer and hidden ice maker/storage. It performs pretty well for the two of us, but can’t keep up when we have thirsty house guests. But I’m pleased with it.

I also have two silicone ice molds, one that makes biggish spheres and the other makes largish cubes. I haven’t tried them yet, but will when I remember to pick up distilled water.

2 Likes

We love our Fisher Paykel too especially the wine cooling rack.
If we have house guests then I use the ice cube trays to supplement.
Otherwise, we move it to the patio and I just buy ice to keep the drinks cold submerged in ice.
I have beer insulator mugs that work well we do the same for wine.
That leaves usually enough ice for the mixed drinks.

2 Likes

I don’t have the model with the wine cooling rack, but do have a separate wine fridge, that’s great for other beverage and juice storage. It’s useful to have, especially because our fridge is counter depth to be flush with the cabinets, thus on the smaller side. I’ve got mostly a kitchen full of FP appliances, and I’m very happy with them! Plus I hear their customer service in NZ is awesome, but I’ve never had to call before, cuz things work - yay!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t bet the farm on it, but I THINK I read somewhere that Fuji brand bottled water makes clear ice.

I use little ice. Not for water, tea or booze. On occasion I have a one ice ball mold the I’ve used to keep a few balls in the freezer for whenever the mood strikes. Usually after a 4-6 mile walk in the Fla sun

No. Not because I do not like spherical ice, but I feel the best spherical ice making does not need to be attached to the freezer/fridge.

If in the market for a new refrigerator and it’s available on what I am replacing I would without hesitation. I’d make regular ice for a couple days then switch it to spheres. I’d use spheres most of the time.

I have never tried a sphere, but the other night at Odd Duck I got an old fashioned with a single two inch cube. It was fun.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, we have a place next door that sells ice spheres, and the quality is pretty good.

I actually brought my silicone big cube tray to Berlin bc I really love it for my scotch. The spheres work just as well, but are so much prettier :star_struck:

2 Likes

No, I wouldn’t buy a fridge that makes ice of any kind. This is an extra component that can fail, jacks up the price, and can even start a fire.

Here’s a pic I found on the net of an ice maker fire.

Furnaces cause fires too and buying an air conditioner with it jacks up the price. I guess I’m a gamblin’ man. :man_firefighter:

4 Likes

I buy spheres from Total Wine.

1 Like

Oh gosh yes- I’d buy one in a second!

I don’t think my Total Wine has the spheres, sadly. But I think I’ll look around to see if anybody else does, it never occurred to me that they were commercially available, and the one-ice-ball-at-a-time molds are a pain.

Oh lordy- it’s YOUR fault!!!

1 Like

But please don’t tell on me!! :joy_cat:

Your secret is safe with me :wink:

1 Like

At least I didn’t do the whole climate change thing on my own! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah I have 3 silicone molds and the cubes always seem to split in half for some reason.

1 Like

I don’t think my TW sells ice. Or I’ve never noticed it