Why does scouring powder come in cardboard containers with no lid?

I just cover the top with a bit of plastic wrap secured with a rubber band. Low tech, cheap and does the job!

I just avoid tipping it over. :wink:

Yes, but it gets so clumpy it wonā€™t spill anyway!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. I live where the humidity hovers at 80-90% for much of the year. You have to thump the can several times before you can use it.

1 Like

Iā€™m from IN where BKF is made and I donā€™t have problems and I donā€™t (didnā€™t) even keep the tape on it. I do know if people suggest too specific of an idea companies canā€™t use it because you can sue them later. :frowning: I think ultimately the best bet is to buy a glass sugar container from the dollar tree

I feel very uneasy putting cleaning products in food containers.

Why? if you donā€™t use the container for anything but cleaning products?

Itā€™s so darn cheap. Mine doesnā€™t seem to clump and Iā€™m in coastal Fla.

I always assume children and guests arenā€™t very bright. :slight_smile: I donā€™t know, it seems too easy for someone to poison themselves.

1 Like

I suppose I get that. But I would always keep cleaning products out of sight in a secure cabinet no matter what container I kept them in.

Thatā€™s very understandable! I had a teacher who used to say, ā€œwrite as if a moron is going to read itā€. I label EVERYTHING! And I keep it under my sinks. If someone is dumb enough to eat something under my sinksā€¦ well stupid guests and my cabinets have childproof locks for that exact reason. Best I can do, Iā€™d like something better but they donā€™t make it. Maybe an old Parmesan container but thatā€™s even more food container looking. However it is also more airtight.

Thank you so much for this!

1 Like

Great idea.

Here is a 3d printed cap https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2683262
If a scouring powder says not to inhale, why should I let it air out in the kitchen? I agree that they should come with covers! Also, I store many cleaning products on a high shelf and I donā€™t want to be spilling it on myself as I take them down.

1 Like

Interesting!

Thanks! I sent the link to my brother and heā€™s going to print a few. I should take bets on when Iā€™ll actually receive mineā€¦it will probably be sent with my birthday card in September!

Not inhaling it is because of the abrasive action of the very fine particles in the scouring powder, which is a considerably higher risk to the welfare of your lungs than the surfactants, bleach, etc.

The abrasive doesnā€™t evaporate, so leaving it open presents an inhalation risk of nada.

Thanks again for the link to the 3d printed cap file.

I sent the info to my brother. He printed several for me! They fit Comet like a charm. They are a bit too tight for Bon Ami and Barkeepers Friend - but nothing a touch of filing canā€™t take care of.

Iā€™m such a nerd - I couldnā€™t wait to get home and see if they worked!

Thatā€™s why God gave us label makers

I love, love, love my P-Touch machine!