Why Do Jews Eat Chinese Food on Christmas?

Turkey has become really popular as a healthy alternative to pork in Central Europe. It isn’t the Holiday tradition, but it is easy to find turkey in Germany and Austria these days. I was surprised how much turkey schnitzel my relatives eat on my last visits to Germany.

Turkey has become a more popular holiday meal in the UK over the last 20 years or so.

My 7.5 lb goose cost me $80 Cdn dollars (~$61 USD). Turkey or duck are more affordable choices for Central Euro or British expats or Canadians who would traditionally roast a goose for Xmas.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

You realize that the first article you linked is what kicked this thread off in the first place.

1 Like

Easy to miss the article at the top, especially if one reads or posts from a smartphone.

I do this a lot.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Responding to a thread without knowing what it’s actually about (i.e., a discussion of the article in question) is a good way to lower the signal to noise ratio. Which I try not to do, because the internet is pretty damn noisy already.

1 Like

I deleted my post. Hope that satisfies you.

There’s really no need to get salty about it. I figured you didn’t know how this thread got started.

I linked to 4 articles …

Right. One of which was already part of this thread. Its first post, in fact.

1 Like

I visited Warsaw for a week in May 1983 when there were severe food shortages under communist rule. Restaurants would have only 3 items from an extensive menu. My Warsaw friend was a vegetarian so she ate hardly any traditional Polish food. So I know nothing about traditional Polish cooking! It was an amazing week I spent in Poland. I’ll never forget it.

Thanks to MelMM on another topic here, I now have checked out from my library two cookbooks by Michael Korkosa: “Polish’d: Modern vegetarian cooking from global Poland” and “Fresh from Poland: New vegetarian cooking from the old country.” I’ll be checking them out soon.

3 Likes

I’d like to see the other 3 articles!

1 Like

True perhaps. But the first post was just about 3 years ago. I imagine I am not alone in the tendency to read these “revived” posts from the pick-up point without returning to the OP. Like @madrid others may have been interested in the other links (maybe even the original one as our memories get fuzzy after three years). There seems to be a good amount of salt added to the thread; it’s a shame @Meekah felt compelled to delete his\her posts.

2 Likes
2 Likes

He/she didn’t. See below. Or above, now.

I find it salty or sharp to point out when someone has unintentionally repeated a post or reposted a link

I try to let unintentional repetition go because I figure people get enough criticism in their offline lives.

Of course, how one wants to post is a personal choice.

YMMV. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Except that it’s not criticism. It’s pointing out something the poster did not notice on their own. If you posted a link that didn’t work, for instance, and I told you so, would you regard that as a criticism? I hope not.

1 Like

I’m glad @Meekah undeleted the post.

I’d also say there is a clear difference between one posting a link that has already been posted and posting a link that does not work. Both are unintentional, but only the latter prevents readers from accessing the info.

ETA: In other words, if I repost something I don’t expect to be taken to task for it; if I post a broken link, I would appreciate being told.

5 Likes

Turkey has been an important UK Christmas meat for many decades - since at least the 1920s. Throughout my life, it’s what families ate (I was born in 1950). Prior to that it was goose and beef - when I was researching for my book about food during the Great War, I came across adverts in the local newspapers placed by butchers, selling their festive meats and it was always goose and beef.

2 Likes

That was the best example I could come up with to illustrate my point. It’s not completely apples to apples, I agree.

1 Like