Which Scotch is Best?

Assuming this question is directed to ’ non-Scots '. Most, especially Americans, love Macallan…except Asians, who nowadays prefer drinking Japanese Whiskey, like Yamazaki.
For a ’ fusion ’ person like myself…Sino-Anglo-Welsh living in Canada, I love both!..and vintage Rum too!

7 Likes

It’s been difficult, as a whisky drinking Scot (it’s where I stay, if my avatar didn’t make that clear) to bow out of this one. We can be quite snotty, I realised as a lot of what is popular we acknowledge as nice and perfectly serviceable but have access to some very interesting and more unexpected varieties. (I’m become so obnoxious that I sometimes see this taste for peat, or rather an elevation of a taste for peat, as more quaint than distinctive. But as I said: obnoxious, which is why I really needed to bow out.)

2 Likes

I’ll have to suggest Chivas Regal, the reason being that I really don’t like scotch at all. This is the only one that I found very good and didn’t even think of some kind of accelerant. :grin:

2 Likes

Not a JD fan but their single barrel selections of both Tennessee Whiskey aka bourbon and their rye are pretty good

2 Likes

In the best Scotch for breakfast category I go with Glenfarclas because it resembles bacon. Additionally, if short of time it travels well in a Carter Move Mug with 360 degree sip lid. :smirk:

2 Likes

Lagavulin 18 is my go to. A bit a of peat but not too much. Sweet spot at 18 years. More flavor than a 10 or 12 but not so ridiculously expensive as a 25. Very smooth.

No such thing as a best scotch or whiskey though. It’s all about individual preferences.

3 Likes

You are absolutely right it is a personal choice.
I chose to use Best in my subject line to keep the Topic post short.
Thank you for your response my husband tried that one first at a scotch tasting with his friends.

1 Like

I agree with many of the single malt recommendations here (I particularly love Talisker). The only one not mentioned that I’d add is Highland Park, which is surprisingly good, even at the less aged side of the spectrum.

2 Likes

Lagavulin 18 ?!? No such thing.

I think you mean Lagavulin 16 :wink:

I’ll get back to you when I’ve tried them all.

Work in progress…

3 Likes

Good catch Claus thanks.
I’m always making typo mistakes with my “sausage fingers” while using my phone.

@RobinJoy,
That would be exactly my husbands response.
So I’m glad that everyone is here to help me out.
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

1 Like

16 is right but there is an 18. Was a special release and a special scotch.

2 Likes

WoW, didn’t know they made a Lagavulin 18.

Thanks for that info.

1 Like

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions there are so many great choices here that I need to ponder a little more.

I now have a wonderful selection to choose from for Birthdays, Christmases, anniversaries etc.

@Chemicalkinetics thank you for:

“There are some high quality Japanese whisky, but of course they are not Scotch. Hibiki is one.” It is nice to have other choices too my husband loves to try new spirits as well.

I’m so very grateful for each and everyone of you. Thank you for helping me out.

I picked up a couple of these not long ago. Visiting a friend for brunch in their new high rise condo who is a scotch fan and picked one up for me as well. Glenmorangie Lasanta. Mine is getting low. Tasty ever day drinker

3 Likes

It was slim pickings at the Liquor store today who knew that Scotch was so popular? Obviously not me, so next time I’ll head to a larger outlet.

Today’s choice:

3 Likes

Even managed to pick something up for myself when I’d like to enjoy blue collar tea:

1 Like

Nice

1 Like

Thank you, I didn’t tell him I just placed it in the liquor cabinet so it will be a nice surprise.

2 Likes