Which recent food trends make you roll your eyes?

How many Scovilles in that pot and do you need goggles to make that up?

3 Likes

They are tien tsin chiles, so ~50,000 (sometimes more). I didn’t wear goggles, but it did cause some coughing and sneezing!

9 Likes

It was a menu attached as a list of seasonal specials (which might be offered for weeks or the winter months), at least a dozen different preparations. Probably a soup, probably creamed or gratinéed, probably prepared simply. Some dishes with bacon or ham, some vegetarian.

Grünkohlzeit means Kale time, as in, Kale Season.

I will see if I can find a menu online that shows what I’m talking about.

download (1)
download

This is one regional kale dish, that @linguafood mentioned https://baketotheroots.de/grunkohl-mit-pinkel-kale-with-smoked-knockwurst/

1 Like

Yah, that’s just the same kale with different sides/meats. Great winter food. Stick to yo ribs kinda stuff.

2 Likes

I can’t find the kind of menu I saw in Munich

Ahhh! Kale season! That’s pretty awesome. What months is that usually?

My collards are hopefully gearing up for something similar (maybe November through March or April with short, maybe 10 hours sunlight days and 50’s f soil temps)

And Chard . It’s in there somewhere, as is arugula and other “greens”. Chard is certainly different, but same season.

Okay; back OT; eye rolling things. :roll_eyes: :thinking:

5 Likes

that’s very very common, esp. in Asian cultures

4 Likes

Salt on raw rhubarb in Anglo Ontario

2 Likes

No black pepper?
I’ve always liked salt and pepper on fruit, especially cantaloupe.
It was how our family always rolled. Maybe a midwestern/southern thing?

2 Likes

I also see it very often as “grain bowl,” presumably because that’s supposed to make it seem healthier/more interesting.

Never see “salad bowl.”

1 Like

salt on watermelon and apples was extremely common in North Carolina, where I grew up.

3 Likes

yeah, my dad salted all melon (watermelon and cantaloup were what we had) here in SE PA.

1 Like

I had intended to post about ribollita, and love Paula Wolfert’s recipes (not online as far as I can find). There is a slightly different one in each of these cookbooks of hers: Mediterranean Grains and Greens; Mediterranean Slow Kitchen; Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking. All variations on white beans, onions, kale, stale bread, without or without additions such as hard cheese, pancetta, tomato paste, carrots/celery, dried porcini mushrooms, rosemary.

oh: here is one:

Also her Potato cake stuffed with Tuscan kale and Taleggio cheese from Med Grains and Greens is a huge favorite in our house in the winter, along with the Ribolitta.

We use Tuscan kale for all of them.

3 Likes

My dad (Philly) also salted melons. Mom (also Philly) didn’t and her daughters followed her lead.

3 Likes

That recipe looks good! My hosts tended to let it sit on the stove longer than that but there are a lot of similarities. One thing that Oreste did that I never did was adding older cheese rinds to it for more texture and flavor. That and I do not think he threw much of anything away. LOL!
I don’t see the pecorino rinds in any recipes I remember, but he seemed to think it was worth adding. I have also seen him add rinds to pasta sauces.

2 Likes

I always keep my parm rinds to add to sauces. Not sure if it improves the sauce or is just force of habit since mom also never wasted anything.

4 Likes

Garlic knots. Haven’t tried them; nevertheless, I don’t get why they’re a big deal (it also doesn’t help that for many months, our internet/phone/cable tv provider constantly ran a TV commercial that mentioned them).

1 Like

Cantaloupe she did salt and pepper.

She was from Louisiana.

1 Like

Haven’t they been a US pizza place staple forever?

2 Likes