Where to stock up [Greater Boston area, MA]

Interesting. I didn’t see anything on their website either, but there is reference to boxes they are supplying for people in need, maybe free of charge? And then after one of their posts on facebook, this:

Question: are these just for food pantries?

Katsiroubas Bros: no they are for the public. Keep an eye on our social media. I’ll be posting more pick up sites for next week and launching our e-commerce site.

There is no more info on the site yet, though. I’d be interested in buying from them just to support their efforts.

1 Like

So much for feeling safe at WF ARL Sigh

1 Like

Oh, ugh. This virus really does suck.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about this, @digga.

2 Likes

From Formaggio Kitchen’s website (re Cambridge store):

We are open, fully stocked, and everything is available for curbside pickup or delivery. We are offering delivery for a discounted rate of $5 within 2 miles of the Huron Avenue store. We will provide FREE delivery for all orders over $100. We can also offer delivery to locations beyond this 2-mile radius. Please note our amended hours, for the time being, below.

Please note that we are currently not allowing customers inside the store, and the best way to place an order is to order online using our online ordering form.
Monday - Saturday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

3 Likes

I’m the biggest fan ever of FK, and I’ll duel anybody with my rapier wit at dawn who thinks they’re bigger, but I must say I find their policies and approach baffling. If you look for the delivery option, where is it?

24%20PM

Plus, their form requires you to call first and place a CC on file.

What I am seeing over and over again is that people who are good at the food business often are bad at websites and logistics. I bet if you call them live you can get it sorted out. :slight_smile: Of course that is not their purported preferred method except that it is, lol.

5 Likes

Companies and individuals who design ecommerce and websites will be among the few that are not hurting for business right now.

3 Likes

I went to Wagon Wheel in person yesterday around 11 am, and it was a pretty comfortable experience. There were maybe three or four other shoppers so it was easy to keep a distance. They had a decent selection of produce, and the open air felt pretty safe. Shoppers aren’t allowed in the store, but they happily dug out some BelGioioso fontina and asiago for me and I snagged a lb. of sliced Boar’s Head mozzarella to stash in the freezer. They had a selection of store-baked breads (I’m assuming from frozen par-baked) as well as commercial Arnold breads and hamburg rolls. It’s comforting to know that I can grab many of the basics there without heading inside.

2 Likes

A little over 25 years ago, when I was closer in age to many of the FK staff and hung out occasionally with them, I told them about a little technology that was just emerging called the world wide web. They said it was not for them – they relied on person-to-person contact and saw no use for this impersonal internutty thing.

6 Likes

Dom’s Sausage in Medford closed rather abruptly yesterday. This was surprising given that they have been doing a robust take away and delivery business. Orders already placed for later this week were cancelled. It is unclear if their wholesale operations are also suspended. I hope everything is OK with the staff and owners.

5 Likes

Thanks for the early (here) morning laugh! Apparently some things don’t change much…

4 Likes

Oh, that’s unsettling. Hopefully everything is okay. And, selfishly, Dom’s cryovac marinated meats were available at Wagon Wheel and made my son and daughter-in-law happy.

1 Like

oh, damn. I was hoping to go there soon. I hope things are OK with them.

1 Like

Bianco’s has similar products to Dom’s and is in the same area. You can place an order via phone for pickup the same or next day. Pay over the phone and pick up at their loading dock, very easy. Prices are a bit better than Dom’s in general and the quality is very good.

https://biancosausage.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Bianco-Retail-Store-Price-Sheet-2020_041520.pdf

2 Likes

Not to be a fear monger, but: https://www.wcvb.com/article/star-market-associate-at-belmont-massachusetts-store-dies-of-coronavirus-complications/32230026

oh, cool. thanks! I was totally unaware of this place somehow. thanks for the tip!

edit: actually, now that I see their logo I have some memory that it’s across the street somewhere from Dom’s? will check it out.

We moved to Acton in the late 70’s when Idylwilde Farms was a true farmstand. We continued living in the area, moving to Harvard in 1986 until 1999 before moving to the Cape. I was amazed how the place grew and I really miss it. I also miss the Joyce Chen store on Great Road in Acton. Her daughter-in-law was a lovely woman. I learned a lot from her.

5 Likes

Oh, I lived very close to the Joyce Chen store. B. (I believe her name was Barbara) was a gem. I miss it, and her, too.

4 Likes

Contemplating my planned/dreaded grocery restock mission later this week, I (idly) started researching farm stand options that might be open. I noticed that Farmer Dave’s in Dracut is sometimes open with produce, dried beans, eggs, frozen meat, and such.

Followed them on Facebook for updates about their offerings and schedule. I’ll share intel if I do go.

4 Likes