Where to Eat Between NJ and NC, via VA

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

We will definitely be stopping for pit beef on the way down and will probably decide where as we’re driving, traffic and timing dependent. I wish we are staying longer in Richmond as it sounds like there’s lots to see and eat. Since I am somewhat incapacitated (recovering from a broken ankle and surgery) a lot will depend upon logistics.

We’ll be driving straight home on Sunday and, given its iconic status, thought about stopping at a Waffle House. Any thoughts? It’s not something easily available in NJ.

Thanks again

1 Like

Waffle House is nothing special.

2 Likes

Sorry, wish I did! I do have this saved, though.

2 Likes

It’s just an inexpensive diner with limited menu. Ours does eggs and hash browns right, which is no small feat. And it’s hella cheap. But farm-to-table it’s not - just a notch above fast food. Think margarine pucks and Smucker’s jam.

How about @LulusMom1?

Sort of like many NJ diners! I wasn’
t thinking of it as gourmet fare but something that would be easy off-easy on the highway that I’d never been to before or likely go to again.

1 Like

OMG! Their best place to stay is —where we are staying!!! Thanks for posting this. This gives me some comfort in their food recommendations.

I’m useless with NC bbq suggestions, since I don’t eat pork. I don’t know Raleigh very well these days - haven’t been since before the pandemic. So I’m probably not able to give much help here. Agree that Waffle House is nothing special. If the OP is interested in driving over to Chapel Hill, maybe try Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen for breakfast.

2 Likes

Where specifically?

This is old, but I had it saved from when I went to NC.

1 Like

Didn’t have a specific one in mind. I just looked at the on-line locator and seemed there were enough along the way. We are trying to get home in the shortest amount of time possible but I can’t do 8 hours straight without taking a break.

I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks. I’ll take a look at this.

Re; Barbecue in Raleigh: The very best place is Stephenson’s, south of Raleigh in the Willow Springs community. Best in Raleigh proper is Sam Jones, followed by The Pit. If you want to drive to Knightdale, Prime is supposed to be very good (Texas-style).

Thank you so much. Willow Springs looks like it’s a bit out of the way but Sam Jones is about a mile from where we are staying.

I want to try the smothered hash browns at some point. I know the level it’s at, but it’s a novelty for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wafflehouse/comments/xu8v82/waffle_house_made_it_to_the_economist/

1 Like

RE; Waffle House.
It’s great for a basic breakfast, especially the hash browns, but they do eggs and bacon with care and attention. Many people stay away because of the sort of thing that erupts at all-night places after the bars close, and also because it is cheap and attracts lower income customers. On the other hand, as I say, you can’t beat the basic breakfast, and it’s a remarkable company, and is invaluable in time of need. See https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2021/01/29/why-im-a-fan-of-waffle-house-2/ .

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the added commentary. Going to the Waffle House just seemed like something that I should do once.

Thank you also for pointing me to your blog. Lots of good reading.

3 Likes

Ms Bean
Many thanks!

1 Like

We’ll be passing thru Richmond in a couple of weeks on our way south, and we’re in need of a Monday night dinner recommendation. ZZQ, L’Oppossum & Shagbark are closed and Edo’s Squid (which we really like) is just too large and heavy a meal (& we cant do doggy bags). Right now I’m leaning toward Stella’s for Greek food or maybe Celladora for small plates and wine. Anyone have first hand knowledge here? Thanks.

La Grotta? It’s been a while but we both enjoyed it

1 Like