Where it's not about the food

I would prefer Cheetos, yes.

2 Likes

We were so thankful it was there otherwise there would have been nothing to eat.

The bride was vegan/vegetarian. The food was militantly vegan in the fashion of tasteless gloop. It was almost like we were being punished. On the other hand I have a good friend who is an observant Hindu. His wedding was completely vegetarian and the food was spectacular.

3 Likes

Ah. I rescind my comment - because I can’t edit it. I did not know the back story of the restaurant. Now I do.

1 Like

We had cabbage rolls at our wedding.

2 Likes

After three years of living together, we bought a house and then were married by a justice of the peace at the courthouse. Then we stopped by my favorite SIL/BIL’s house on the way home. Soon word went out with the family. A big pot of chili went on the stove. The booze flowed. All had a good time. Expensive weddings are a big waste of money imo. Do something useful with it.

4 Likes
  1. I went unwillingly to a middle-of-the-road all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic and the food was almost unbelievably mediocre. Sure the beach was cool but the FOOD, omg.

2. The food on the long-distance Amtrak trains in the US. I took a cross-country trip on the Zephyr (chosen for the spectacular scenery) and based on the research I did in advance, knew enough to bring on a bunch of my own food in a cooler.

2 Likes

Even worse than corn chips was a wedding reception I went to, back in 1998. I had bought a new outfit to wear to the wedding, then drove 45 minutes to pick up an acquaintance north of the city, then 2 hours to get to the wedding 80 miles away, through rush hour. We arrived 15 minutes after the start time, completely missing the wedding at City Hall.

I gave my typical wedding gift at the time, which would have covered the cost of the dinner at a nice banquet hall and leave the new couple with a gift. I’d been a bridesmaid a couple times around that time and had picked up that people expected at least $100 Cdn- preferably cash (I guess $65 USD back in 1998), from their 20something friends. To put this into context, I was making $350 Cdn a week. I’d heard my married friends complain about friends who gave less than that. 25 years later, I’m no longer in contact with most of these couples :rofl:

There were bowls of pretzels on the buffet table at the reception, maybe some vegetables and hummus . Pretzels out of a bag, not soft pretzels. Never saw the bride (or groom) again , after seeing the bride from the cheapo reception at a bridal shower for another friend 6 months later.

1 Like

I’ve had cabbage rolls at quite a few Binghamton NY, Pittsburgh, Albertan and Saskatchewan wedding receptions.

3 Likes

The post funeral buffet lunch after my FiL died was in similar form. Local pub which said it often did such events and promised top quality. In fact, it was very poor and in meagre quantity. We got a significant refund - but that was hardly the point.

2 Likes

@Harters I’m so sorry to hear that. Food is a big thing after funerals–I don’t think one should necessarily pay attention to it in a time of grief, but there should be ample, comforting fare for the mourners.

When my grandparents were telling me their wishes, they made absolutely sure that I would feed everyone well after their funerals. Neither of them have haunted me as they promised they would if I didn’t comply, so I guess it all worked out.

9 Likes

obligatory:

I have never been to a “Medieval Times” specifically, but I HAVE done the jousting show with the ex and small child at the Excalibur in Vegas. Shockingly, this ill-advised relic of a wave that tried to make Vegas ‘family friendly’ is still in existence and still apparently runs this same intensely cheesy enterprise. You eat a cornish hen with your fingers, there are no forks but there ARE wet wipes (and Pepsi, and plastic cups).

The food is certainly not the point. The show is appropriate only for those foolish enough to come to Vegas as a ‘family vacation’ or who are far more professional drinkers/drug takers than I am.

My recent Maui trip included a sunset whale watching cruise that included a perfectly adequate chicken / salad/ slaw / buttered roll dinner (and an open bar). The food was an afterthought, but quite tasty, and nice to have.

3 Likes

The worst food I’ve had in the past 25 years was the gruel at the Luau at the Polynesian Center on Oahu. I should have done a little research into the ownership of the Polynesian Center, before booking my ticket online. The employees treated single and childless women guests like 3rd class carriage the day I was there. I wish I’d gone to a luau on Maui or Kauai instead. LOL

After the horrendous Luau, I walked back to catch my bus back to the hotel. I had paid for the Gold or Platinum special Luau experience at the Polynesian Center.

The bus driver, who had been chummy all day, asked me to move from the seat I had during the tour of the island, to the bumpy seat located over the axel, so he could butter up some newlyweds from Ohio for a tip, by placing their case of Pineapple from the Dole Plantation on the seat I had occupied in the front row behind the driver’s seat during the island tour. I had been the first guest he had picked up that morning, around 7 am, for a circle tour of the island and visit to the Polynesian Center.

I was stewing as I sat on the seat above thr axel for the first 10 minutes of the drive, and I asked the newlyweds if it was okay that I turned their case of Pineapple clockwise, so I could sit in the seat next to the Pineapple, for the 90 minute drive back to Waikiki .

Good times :pineapple:

Aloha.

4 Likes

At the Axe Throwing establishments that have become popular recently. And yes, alcohol is served.

1 Like

Chuck E Cheese. Food sucks, but tikes love the place.

A happy kitty is a happy kitty Oops. You meant kiddie. My bad :joy_cat:

1 Like