Where it's not about the food

Such fond memories!

1 Like

Oh, here’s a Chinese restaurant…

1 Like

That is exactly how I pitched it :laughing:

:astonished::innocent: :rofl:

1 Like

Never been to Medieval Times, but I’ve been to a few “murder mystery” dinners. Two of them were at fairly good inns, so the food was decent (and I even won the prize of a bottle of champagne at one). One was on a train and the food was pretty bad and the drink service was iffy. But they were “girls nights out” so the fun factor was the primary draw.

Hey @small_h weren’t you going to start a new thread for this?

2 Likes

I was! But it seems to have started itself.

@moderators Any chance you could split the posts starting around here

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/food-critics-who-make-you-laugh-out-loud/31922/19?u=small_h

to a thread entitled “Where It’s Not About the Food”? If so, thanks very much!

2 Likes

Your wish is my command (I sometimes forget the powers of the mod).

3 Likes

I will also add scenic boat cruise with dinner included.

I thought the food on my 4 day cruise to Ensenada was meh but my uncle LOVED it. The welcome buffet announcement over the PA system as we embarked cracked me up.

We checked out the welcome buffet , and I saw one young fella with the equivalent of a bucket of fried chicken on his oval melamine plate. Maybe 2 h before dinner. LOL.

I’ve had surprisingly good food on Greek ferries to Italy, but what Greek or Italian would tolerate bad food, so it shouldn’t be that much of a surprise. Good food on the ferry from Hamburg to Norwich, and on the Eurostar (train’s) First Class car, too.

4 Likes

Hah! I didn’t realize (or remember) that you were a mod. Or I would’ve just addressed you directly.

2 Likes

Apparently I sometimes forget that I’m a mod as well :confused:

2 Likes

My father was a very bad American . . . if there was too much food on his plate, he’d lose his appetite. And he would never go to a buffet (one exception was a local inn that was exceptionally good for Sunday brunch). Maybe it was his depression-era youth. I seem to have inherited his gene. Though TBH my friends and I could do some serious damage at the Pizza Hut buffet when we were in school,

1 Like

OK, I laughed at this part:

“Brianna took an interest in my friend Michael, who instead took an interest in my new BlackBerry cellphone. Not to be left out, Brianna volunteered that her phone was a Sidekick, which has e-mail and Web-browsing capabilities.”

What a difference 16 years makes. :rofl:

3 Likes

I went to see the Egg Comedian once… His act was full of yolks.

5 Likes

Scram(ble), you.

2 Likes

We used to go to buffets a lot in the 80s, and I still like a breakfast buffet at a 4 star hotel.

I had fun plating my buffet food on my last 2 or 3 stays at fancy hotels, back in 2019, in Munich, in Japan and in Maui.
From my hotel’s breakfast buffet in Hakuba, Japan

I had deleted most of my plated buffet photos, but might have a couple surviving in a trip report somewhere.

I do have a photo of my plate of some seriously mediocre food served at the buffet (self-catered with a few dishes brought by others) at my cousin’s 3rd wedding. I will post that. The lumpia a former employee brought were the saving grace :grinning:.

Weddings- where it’s not supposed to be about the food, but if I know the food will suck, and I’m not that keen on going, bad food gives me a reason to send my regrets :smiling_face_with_tear::joy:.

3 Likes

Our college era lunch buffet was Shakey’s.
Seems like about $1.50 or so.
Just fried chicken, potato wedges, lots of pizza :pizza:
and pitchers of 3.2 Coors.
Or how I ended up in the Army :wink:
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Anytime I go to my inlaws.

4 Likes

joy-dadum

1 Like

That strip club review takes on some new meaning when you know that Brumi’s gay. I don’t know whether he was out in 2007. I wonder how he would write the review now.

2 Likes

He may not have been out out, but it was common knowledge who he was dating around that time. And I think he’d write the review the exact same way (at least with regard to that).