Where do you get your lox & bagels for the Holidays?

I’d love to but I don’t have the equipment.

Fairway. And the cutters are usually very good – nice and see-through thin.

Click on the link above, the guy was doing it with a couple of banana boxes, some PVC tubing, and duct tape.

And a Big Lots hot plate with an aluminum pie pan to generate the smoke.

I usually do cold smoked salmon lox but recently made gravlax. Tonight’s offering

3 Likes

Do you serve the grav lax with mustard dill sauce?

Also on the cold smoked how long do you smoke it for?

Usually with just capers, onions and cream cheese

For Nova lox I usually cold smoked for 2-3 hrs

Yes, I forgot about Fairway. Their lox is good and reasonably priced, but either I have to deal with the traffic on the Hutch or go to Rockland County.

That looks real good, Scubadoo…

1 Like

Anyone notice any good deals right now?

On bagels and lox? Is there a reason there would be? Just curious.

Believe it or not,but the bagels thatTrader Joe’s(3 pak for $1.99)sells are very good. I prefer plain (green bag). They have other seeded ones and also other bags,but the 3 pak are the good ones. Here is a tip however - most are about the same width (overly thick),but some paks have darker sides (baked longer?) and they are preferable. The seeded ones seem to appear darker anyway,but the plain sometimes do vary.

I agree the ones at Trader joe’s in NYC that come in a paper bag are surprisingly good, but are a local/regional thing, outside of nyc they just have the sad plasticy round bread things in a plastic bag of six…

Well if you’re able to get to Acme on a friday morning they always have the cash only available to the public smoked fish at much lower than retail prices (note that Acme is the source for Zabar’s, russ and daughters, and many others)
I’ve never been myself but friends have been and said it was worth it for holiday entertaining and such, lots of products there are vacuum packed so will last a good while too
http://www.acmesmokedfish.com/about-us/fridays-retail-outlet

Ttrockwood-
The bagels in the paper bag are the ones I was talking about,I know they are regional, but they are available throughout Westchester