Where do you eat?

When we are working on the farms, I try to pack a picnic lunch for us to eat beside the creek.

6 Likes

Always as a family at the dining table just talking about the day, life, school, work etc. never with TV or anything else in the background. (could never understand how families don’t use dinner as the time to eat and talk together without any distractions- it’s also the reason why we like really slow placed restaurant visits - everything faster than two hours feels very rushed). In the summer/warm weather on the patio.

3 Likes

This is what came to mind, but the actual clip might be a bit much for this thread.

Kitchen table. With the nightly news on or maybe football or soccer depending on the day.
We will sit outside for drinks and small plates when the weather cooperates.
No formal dining room in our old duplex and the old people recliners we have in the middle room were not designed with eating in mind.

2 Likes

(In Robert De Niro’s voice) You talking to me?

9 Likes

Best pull of the week and it’s only Wednesday!

1 Like

That is so depressing…

1 Like

I don’t have a dining table so it’s at the big coffee table we use (I type there too) and in the evening the TV is usually on

5 Likes

Gosh it all depends so order by frequency….standing in the kitchen, table, desk, deck, coffee table, and rarely a yogurt in bed (I know, I know it’s a no no but I am being honest here).

1 Like

Most often, at the dining room table. It has a nice view of the pellet stove built into the fireplace in the living room and we can make use of the sound bar for background music.

Fridays and Saturday late afternoon/evening may be in front of the television in the family room/home theater space. At some point, we’re going to install a bar down there, so the party will move over there on those occasions.

We have a breakfast nook off the kitchen and initially used it for morning meals (weekends mostly), but when we both started working from home in the pandemic, it became my work space and I installed a cat bed on it so my fuzzy son would be more settled while I worked. I’ve gone back to work out in the world and the cat bed is still on the table!

4 Likes

Breakfast and lunch – at my desk checking the computer. We used ot eat at the dining room table, but it is now given over to the granddaughters’ art projects. Now it’s either on the back deck or in front of the TV. MS. BBQ and I have significantly different diets, and our galley kitchen has a spot where she can go ahead an eat a salad while I continue preparation of my starch and fatty meat dinner.

3 Likes

Main meals are always at the kitchen island. The dining table is always occupied by H, as he works from home, he has asked his office let him have an iMac to work. Unless we have dinner parties, he will then packed. Actually he has a study, but he doesn’t use it. My work lunch is usually at my desk, I work freelance, so it’s really a simple one bowl meal. There is always TV news or music when dining with H. Me, when alone, I enjoy some silent time. We have some outdoor meals in the courtyard, as well.

4 Likes

Great thread, @gcaggiano! My family was just discussing this this week when we were all together.

When I’m home (my place), I eat on the dining table if it’s clear (ahem), or in my favorite armchair watching TV — or sometimes chatting with friend or family member in a different time zone (we’ll often have a meal “together”).

At my parents place right now, it varies. If dad isn’t up to it, we’ll eat together in their bedroom and watch TV. But most of the time we eat at the dining table — and there’s no TV, just chatting (this was how we ate every night growing up).

6 Likes

Hi gcaggiano,

When it’s in, technology keeps us company. When it’s out, it’s for conversations that can last long after the meal is consumed.

Exceptions: eat out with TV on for major sporting events. Eat in with technology neutered for major Holidays–and collaboration during the preparation stage.

Ray

2 Likes

Since moving to new apt (gah 3 years now!) at my computer 99.99% of the time. We’re still not set up mostly because trying to get a 1st floor apt. Wife sits behind me at her laptop. At the old apt dinner was always at the dining table but way informal 'cept for holidays. My other .001% is standing up in kitchen while scarfing down something.

2 Likes

At our kitchen peninsula most of the time, with TV off. If special meals, holidays, or more than the two of us, at the dining room table. Weather permitting at a table on our deck, so most of the summer, outside. If we get bored and want to mix it up a little, we eat at the kitchen island, which I’ve named Nantucket. That’s also where I like to have HH, with company. (Or outside.)

1 Like

Herself is on holiday in Spain for a few days.

So, even though it’s just me, the table is properly set, with the crystal glasses and the best cutlery, as it’s Saturday. A bottle of alcohol free Shiraz is open and ready to go. And I’m just about set for a four courser. OK, I’ve bought a couple of Lebanese salads from the supermarket. And they’ve also supplied a single portion lemon cheesecake. But, in between, a chicken has just come out of the oven - spuds, leeks, asparagus and gravy to accompany. And cheese after that and before dessert - I have a nice looking Double Gloucester and some digestive biscuits to load it onto.

Can’t let standards slip, doncha know, just coz no-one’s looking.

8 Likes

I love this Harters! Self care and keeping decorum is important! I need to practice the concept more often; when I was working, I had a large, bowl shaped coffee cup, for weekend coffee, which made it seem more special. Now that I’m not working, I don’t do that anymore, but need to reinstate. Something to differentiate the days from each other.

3 Likes

You make a good point. We almost always eat at our kitchen table. But, even when the kids (one just graduated college, one is going into his last year of college) that makes for. Kitchen table. Quaint. Our dining room is only used during holidays. Could find a better use for that space.

We have a very nice lean-to patio in back that overlooks my neighbors beautiful valley on one side, and farm fields on the other. Good place to eat. That, and the grill’s there. No needs for accoutrement, just take it off the grill and throw it, pipin’ hot, into their mouths.