Where are the good Afghan food in the Bay Area?

Here is a new working link for the short slideshow of photos for Marwa Market taken in April, 2019 since the server for the link above is no longer operational:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k8hpBVoJPTuUahHXA

Here’s a new working link to the slideshow of the April 2019 lunch at Marwa which is abut 2 minutes long since the above link no longer is opertional:

https://photos.google.com/search/_tv_Videos/photo/AF1QipMUhMxVxhQ0ep94kJlX3w36IfjuqLhoTcPZaSbp

Funny, I’ve always liked Ghazni, which is our go-to because it’s so close to us (the branch on A Street, that is). We did takeout from them a few weeks ago. That being said, the last restaurant meal we had before the shutdown was at Roya Afghan Cuisine in Livermore, on First Street a few blocks from Vine Cinema. I would definitely recommend them if they’re doing takeout.

Ghazni was good. Spouse and I simply felt that it was average in comparison to Kamdesh/Oakland, Khyber Pass/Dublin, and Oasis/Pleasanton.

For inexpensive places that do very well on specific dishes we like:
Annar/Hayward does a superb job on the aush soup and the aushak dumplings, as well as a fine pilaf and lamb curry.

Yummy Grill/Oakland has amazing mantoo that were a bargain.

As I mentioned in my previous post above, Pamir/Dublin makes a very fine aush and good kabobs, but their servings are smaller and a bit more expensive than average.

We’ve also gone to Kabul Kabob/Dublin, which is okay. I’d rate it below Ghazni.

I recently tried Afghan Awasana Kabob in Fremont which opened in February 2020. Ordered Leek Bolani, Potato Bolani, Beef kabob, Banjan Borani, Qabuli Pulao, Chapli kabob. Everything was wonderful. Thought I’d seen it all with Afghan options in Fremont but this is a great new addition to the Afghan scene here.

1 Like

Abas Hamidi Afghan Cuisine (4115 Concord Blvd #54 Concord, CA 94519) is a surprise discovery for us. Chapli Kabob is very tasty. We also liked Mantoo and Badnjan Buranee (eggplant.) Very friendly people. Will add to rotation when in that neighborhood.

excerpt from Hoodline

West Oakland

Twins Halal House & Bakery (2608 Market St.)

San Francisco

Oakland Eats: West Oakland gets new Afghan bakery; longtime Chinatown dim sum spot closes; more

A look through Sun Sing Pastry Dim Sum’s windows. | Photo: Molly L./Yelp

by Teresa Hammerl@colazionearomawebsite

July 27, 2020

In this edition: West Oakland has gotten a new Afghan eatery, Chinatown has lost a long-running dim sum joint and a recently closed Downtown spot has been reborn as a Temescal pop-up.

Open

West Oakland

Twins Halal House & Bakery (2608 Market St.)

PHOTO: ALBERTINO M./HOODLINE TIPLINE

Twins Halal House & Bakery recently opened in the space most recently occupied by Daniel’s Caribbean Kitchen and Tamales La Oaxaqueña, Hoodline’s veteran tipster Al M. tells us.

The new eatery specializes in Afghan food, with dishes like bolani (stuffed flatbread), pallow (rice cooked with lamb, onions, raisins and seasonings) and mantou (meat-filled dumplings in a yogurt sauce).

Pacha’s Afghan Kabab House opened about a month ago in Old Oakland/Oakland Downtown. I haven’t tried it yet but early reviews noted the salmon kababs, mantoo dumplings and Afghan pizza. Lunch specials are about $14. On their menu I see squash and eggplant bolani turnovers and sabzi challow with lamb.

1015 Clay St
Oakland, CA 94607
open 11am-9pm everyday

(510) 817-4951

from Oaklandside -

PACHA’S AFGHAN KABAB HOUSE* Family-run Afghani fusion restaurant Pacha’s opened in February in Old Oakland in the former El Gusano location. The restaurant’s halal fried chicken, kebabs, curries, pizzas, bolani and combination plates are already gathering fans who note generous portions as well as good quality and flavor.

Pacha’s Afghan Kabab House *, 1015 Clay St. (at 11th Street), Oakland

1 Like