When your friend is a lousy cook

OH MY!!!
I will remind you next year to stop and eat first!!!

2 Likes

We were once invited for dinner to a family like that. The food was crummy and sparse. They were anthroposofists, and food just wasn’t important to them.

1 Like

That sucks.

1 Like

This happened to us and a few hundred others at a wedding reception…
A catered affair in a city park. The kitchen was a walk thru with open doors to the park. Someone walked into the kitchen and stole six chafing dishes of food–all meat based, before it could be served to reception guests. Mother of the Bride then had to stand at the foot of the buffet line pleading for guests “don’t take too much”.

Kicker was that the caterer charged the Mother of the Bride for the stolen food…and the disappeared chafing dishes!

We’ll always remember that reception.

4 Likes

My husbands cousin is a thin rail person who doesnt eat much . She would have summer parties starting at 1 and no food would be served til 5 . Not a chip not a pickle , nothing . Her mom would plead with her to put out food that the guest had brought .Not yet she would say . One year my daughter and i left , went to Burger king ate and returned back . When she finally served dinner she gave each person one rib section for her meat potion.At her sons wedding recently,she and her brother complained there was too much food ! She does have a great figure though.

4 Likes

That’s just plain inconsiderate. Maybe her guests are hungry!! Does she serve alcohol from 1 to 5?? Seems like a bad idea.

An acquaintance of mine hosts occasional house parties, and I would almost always bring a nice wine. Every time I went, the nice bottle of wine would get whisked away and a glass of Charles Shaw or something similar would be placed in my hand. Hmm.

2 Likes

Our all time low was years ago. A associate invited DH and me to dinner after work. We arrived around 7. Martinis. No nibbles. Hostess is fussing with a pair of pheasants. 8pm. More martinis. Chips.
9pm. Yup, more of same. 10pm. “Coming soon, gang!” 11pm Dinner. DH has the headache from hell. Dinner was quite alright, but very late for us, especially with a lot of alcohol without substantial “blotters”. DH: Never again.

3 Likes

Wow. Just wow. The catering company should have had the experience to look at the location and understand the need to keep that kitchen manned and watched.

2 Likes

I guess every years when the party is over they say, “What perfect planning - no leftovers to deal with. And people loved the food since they ate every last bite. We’ll have to do this exact thing next year!”

:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You would think, since that catering company was only one of four that was allowed to use that facility.

2 Likes

Maybe they were in cahoots! Like on that show with the undercover folks in the restaurant.

Restaurant Stakeout

3 Likes

LOL - we had a similar experience with friends a few years ago. People we love, but were on a different time clock. There were nibbles, but I tend not to eat too much of that as I have limited capacity, so I was holding out for the roast chicken. We started at around 6 and the dinner was served around 10:30. I did not feel wel!!!

This happened to us and a few hundred others at a wedding reception…
This happened to us at MY wedding reception - well wedding number 1. The caterer got another party last minute and took half of our food. Many of my guests did not eat. We did not pay him! The marriage didn’t go well either!

3 Likes

@winecountrygirl Actually the opposite of your story, so perhaps a thread drift. We arrived somewhat early at a large party (100 guests) in Sonoma and were met by a handful of family members streaming out the door. The hostess had just found out that the caterer had the date wrong and there was no food on the horizon. Fortunately, this was as foodie family, all good cooks. They set up a list of needs, sent one daughter to Whole Foods, another to Safeway, a SIL to a specialty butcher, a friend to a bakery/patiserie. Within an hour, the barbeque was smoking, giant bowls of salads and sides covered a table, fabulous desserts another. Few knew there had been a near catastrophe.

Another caterer was chosen for the next party.

9 Likes

I love it!!!

This is a truly heartwarming story. I’ll bet everyone, including the family had a great time. I wonder if the discussed DIY for subsequent events.

2 Likes

Good lord! I hope that caterer is no longer in business!

Last I heard he was up on charges!

1 Like

UGH! And then everyone is very, very drunk!!!

We left Christmas Eve dinner one year because by 9 PM the main course wasn’t served yet and my 1 year old was having a complete meltdown. My husband threatened to his family that we would be away next year for Christmas ha!

2 Likes

If the food is not up to your expectations hopefully the bar is!!!

1 Like

The best possible outcome to a near disaster. I would have been proud to have been a part of that!

1 Like