When is hot & spicy too hot & spicy?

I used to go down and sell at the flea market in Sausalito and between Saturday and Sunday we’d go out and then come back and sit in line all night. I went to this mexi joint in Mill Valley with bunches of bottled hot sauces to try. I was feelin’ good and over sauced my food to the tears and beads of sweat :sweat: phase, but the worst was having to go wait in line til 5:00 am. I snuck into the bushes and learned a valuable lesson about excess, in all phases of life.
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Starts in the eyes, nose starts to run, lips get numb, can’t feel the tip of my nose…

If the sauce replicates getting novocain, it’s too hot and spicy.

1 Like

Hot enough?

3 Likes

Hilarious.

It’s no longer enjoyable when you can’t taste the food anymore, not to mention the physical pain you endure. I love chilli peppers of all kinds but that’s where I draw the line.

4 Likes

Actually, I think my fam bored through a bottle of this decades ago, when the kids were teens and pre-teens. There was a neat shop just off the campus of Vanderbilt University that I used to visit when on assignment in Nashville. Was introduced to this, Dave’s Insanity Sauce and Ass In The Tub hot sauce stopping there. Kids were thrilled by each new selection I brought home.

Would probably be considered child abuse today…

2 Likes

It’s an issue with some of the “Indian” restaurants in the UK. Well, not so much the restaurants but some of their customers wanting to display a macho image to their mates. Hence the invention, apparently in Birmingham, of the “phall” - taking the chilli level up several notches from what had previously been available. It’s really there for one of those crackpot eating challenges, rather than for enjoyment of a meal. I’ve nver tried it for exactly the reason you mention - why pay money in restaurant to be not able to taste the food.

3 Likes

A Deadspin article on the same event:

2 Likes

Crazed people doing a crazy thing!

1 Like