What's your best vanilla bean source?

that’s a deal compared to penzey’s, where 16 ounces is $89.99!

one of the best investments i made was buying a pound of vanilla beans from amazon. i can’t remember exactly how long it’s been, but it’s been a while since i paid $40, and they threw in a small bonus back. just checked and 25 madagascaar beans are going for $86.99

i’ve been topping them off with vodka, and they’re still going strong.

Penzeys sent out an email not too long ago with a vanilla deal before prices went up. I rarely use it since I rarely bake but I remember being shocked at the price difference.

1 Like

I recall reading an article on the skyrocketing cost of vanilla last month.

Apparently, storms in Madagascar impacted the crop.

2 Likes

Glad I have a bag vacuumed sealed for later use

I know my wife ordered beans from the CA dealer linked in this thread but I have no idea where she is hiding them😁

1 Like

Have you checked the fridge?

Frig, both freezers, wine cooler and pantry…sock drawer maybe, ha! Sux cause I need it for a cake…gonna sub the liquid.

Vanilla prices went through the roof. Costco has vanilla beans pretty well priced too, if you’re thinking of making your own extract, though I’m guessing those have also gone up.

1 Like

Restaurant Depot sells a quart of pure vanilla extract for $58 or thereabouts. I have yet to find a better price.

Last year a friend of mine who deals in remainders from Costco & other stores had cases of the Kirkland Vanilla Beans. They were on cards with 2 test tubes with 5 beans in each. He was selling them for $5 per card & discounted them some because I bought case lots. I bought many cases but they’re all gone now. Unlikely I’ll find another score like that.