What's so terrible about soy?

There’s plenty of evidence. Chemically, the isoflavones in soy are phytoestrogens. There is no debate on this point. Nor is there any serious debate that phytoestrogens are Endocrine Disruptor Compounds. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21175082

Where it gets complicated is that these phytoestrogens are good for some people at some times in their lives, not good for others (or even the same people at different times).

Here’s a good review of the science. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

From the Conclusion: “Consumers should be aware that soy contains endocrine disrupting compounds and make dietary choices accordingly. For a typical consumer, alarm over soy products is likely unnecessary but so is the belief that a soy-rich diet will alleviate all ills. Women who are pregnant, nursing, or attempting to become pregnant should use soy foods with caution and be aware that soy formula may not be the best option for their babies.”

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/68/6/1431S.short

2 Likes

Once again, let me be clear: yes, I am aware that there are phytoestrogens in soy.

But as you state, the effects of those phytoestrogens are not clear and quite complicated. Yes, since the studies are still ongoing, it makes sense for people who are pregnant, have cancer, or are just extremely paranoid to avoid soy. But as your quote states, alarm over soy is unnecessary for the typical consumer. It will not give men breasts. It will not make women sterile. It is safe.

Then you did not read the comprehensive review. There IS evidence that it affects both fertility and sex drive in women. There is also evidence that these isoflavones increase breast density in premenopausal women (but not Chinese women); increased breast density correlates with increased risk of breast cancer. No, eating soy will not cause male gynocomastia. But enough estrogen will, and hormone disruption hurts, not helps.

While the Chinese have been cultivating and eating soy for around 3000 years, production stayed localized in China until the 19th Century. As late as 1907, even Japan only produced <6% of all soy, much of it used for fodder. It wasn’t until WW2 that soy was grown in any quantity in USA; before then it was used mostly for animal feed. Now, only 75 years (one human lifespan) later, a full EIGHTY percent of edible fats and oils consumed in USA is derived from soy. See, http://www.soyinfocenter.com/HSS/history.php

The science and epidemiology is just now starting to catch up with its dietary effects. Here’s a chart showing breast cancer mortality over the last years:

http://jonbarron.org/article/growth-cancer#.VrkJYVJRLAI

I’m NOT claiming causality. Then again, if the trendline ran DOWN since 1941, I’d be less concerned about soy isoflavones and other hormone disruptors.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

That’s true. I read your post. And now I’m reading this one, which contradicts itself.

It’s clear that you and other people are dead-set on claiming that soy is detrimental to human health and acts like estrogen. I’m not a scientist, nor a researcher, and I’m not interested in arguing against your data. I’m simply someone who thinks that fearmongering over soy is utterly ridiculous.

Overconcern about Endocrine Disruptor Compounds in soy is not evidence of their safety.

If I have my history correct, soy was originally classified as a medicinal by the Chinese. If my science is correct, it can be good medicine or bad–perhaps in some cases and circumstances, both. Blithely pronouncing EDCs safe is just bad advice.

3 Likes

Reading an article (even something as logical and scientific as Kaleo’s link) and then self-diagnosing and suddenly finding evil in anything with the word “soy” on it is uninformed hysteria. (see Food Babe et al)

This is not at all the same thing, nor should it be confused with doctors, scientists, or patients with genuine medical conditions that have been proven to be affected negatively by the presence of soy phytoestrogens, making the informed decision that consuming soy will not help, and may harm, their condition.

There’s a big dividing line between something being perpetuated by “some people” and a healthy degree of caution being advised by “some people” who actually know why they’re making that recommendation and/or decision.

2 Likes

If soy is unsafe, why did you post “For a typical consumer, alarm over soy products is likely unnecessary”?

Yes, soy is still being studied. Yes, it is often wise to be extra careful. I don’t think anyone should use soy as ‘medicine’ or take supplements. But I also agree with you that the average consumer does not need to worry about the presence of soy in their food.

Ummm, because alarm isn’t justified for those adults who occasiionally eat soy foods as they come to them. Just as consumers should not be alarmed over BPA in all canned foods.

Still, if consumers wish to simply avoid foods containing known EDCs, no one should fault them if they do.

1 Like