What's for low carb breakfast, lunch or dinner?

I will definitely be experimenting with your recipe next time I bread.

I will try to make a list. Somewhere on an H.O. thread a bunch of us listed what we liked at RD. I will try to find itā€¦Hey Not JRā€¦I think you participated in the RD discussion Bob, do you remember where it was or how to find it?

Found itā€¦hit the search symbol and type in ā€œRestaurant depot-favorite findsā€. Thread was created May 24, 2016 by Thimesā€¦lot of good stuff.

1 Like

FYI use the @ symbol before our name to tag someone. I just happened to see this but if you do it with the @ before my name it would notify me and bring me directly to your comment.

Excellent, will do! Thus far the meats have been a hit. I also snagged some gorgeous red peppers, zucchini, Brussels and cauliflower - nicer quality than what I normally find at the supermarket and cheaper than Costco! I only wish they had a larger selection of items in the smaller quantities. 40 lbs of fresh jalapenos is just a bit more than I can handle! :grin:

LC lasagna was a big hit last night - I used both zucchini and tofu for noodles, since I didnā€™t have enough of either one alone. The previous eveningā€™s chicken, Chinese broccoli, Chinese chive and red pepper stirfry was also popular. What do you guys use for sauce if/when you stirfry? I tend to like spice, so I often just add a splash of soy sauce and a load of Sriracha. Since I donā€™t serve over rice, thereā€™s no need for a lot of sauce, and I prefer a drier texture anyway.

1 Like

Depending on what Iā€™m putting together protein and veg wise, I use a combination of some of the following:

Sambal Oelek
Dark Soy Sauce
Light Soy Sauce
Seasoning Sauce
Hoisin Sauce
Oyster Sauce

I fry the sambal oelek in the oil for a minute before I add in chopped garlic and ginger.

Interesting, I sometimes use sambal oelek but Iā€™ve not tried frying it beforehand. Will have to give that a go!

I should have mentioned that sometimes I make my stir fries dry and other times I like them saucier, so I add chicken/pork/beef bouillon, water and a cornstarch slurry. My stir fries donā€™t have a specific recipe and never turn out the same twice!

OK, thanks !!..Did not know that. I was at a South Jersey RD today and picked up a 5 lb box of the AHI tuna. They grade it ā€œAAā€ which is #2. Just under $10.00 lb.

I thaw it, rinse with cold water, pat dry, rub with sesame oil, coat with toasted sesame seeds (Seeds @ RD in spice aisle) , sear 1/8 inch each side with center raw. Then make a sauce from Soy Sauce, sesame oil & a little hot chile paste for heat.

Paul Prudhommeā€™s Blackened Redfish Magic seasoning (RD) works well for blackened anything including tuna.

1 Like

The RD in S. Jersey also sells certain Vegs in smaller quantities, something like 2 - 5 lb bags depending on the item. I think broccoli & cauliflower florets come in 5 lb factory sealed bags. I think jalapenos & long hots come in a 2 lb bag (about the size of a typical supermarket tear off produce bag STUFFED) They also have smaller boxes of mushrooms which are super fresh & cheap.

Have to bring a jacket and really tool around the refrigerated section checking things out.

I picked up a real nice IBP choice grade 0x1 boneless striploin for $5.29 lb ($70 total) today. Looked at 20 & only found 1 that I really liked, ā€œhigh choice / low primeā€ grade . After a good 21 day wet age it will yield 12 - 13 nice thick steaks that would be at least $35 a plate a la carte at a steakhouse.

By the time I get to the vegetable section Iā€™m half frozen to death, grab a bag of broccoli rabe and head for the door.

It is cold in there, thatā€™s for sure. Not a place I would want to work!

This was a problem at the Port Chester location - they didnā€™t have a large quantity of anything to choose from. I went on Sunday afternoon so maybe my timing was poor, but there were only 3-4 of most large cuts, and sometimes not even that.

I donā€™t currently have fridge space for dry aging but I can usually carve out room for a cryovaced subprimal. Do you prefer wet aging to dry?

Tonight will be tandoori chicken legs on the grill so probably zucchini slices since I can do them on the Q too and maybe a bag of TJ cauliflower rice to keep things nice and easy.

2 Likes

Last night I made porchetta with a cauliflower style Spanish rice. I had some avocados to use up, so I made guacamole and served it with some fresh snap peas. I know peas arenā€™t super low carb but weā€™re not following a strict low carb diet. Iā€™m underweight and my husband has hit his goal weight, so Iā€™m just trying to maintain him by doing an 80/20 thing.

Everything turned out quite nicely!

1 Like

The cauliflower rice is the greatest thing, isnā€™t it? So easy to get that made when the cauliflower is already prepped. I know itā€™s not tough to put cauliflower through a food processor but by the time I get home from work and start dinner, I appreciate any short cuts.

2 Likes

Iā€™m about to throw some ribs on the smoker, sides TBD. I was thinking of roasted cauliflower but itā€™s oddly warm here today, so Iā€™m not sure I want to turn on the oven.

1 Like

I put a few burgers on with the ribs and let them smoke for about 30 mins, then seared them to finish. Meh. They didnā€™t take on much smoke flavor and they ended up well done, even though they were 1" thick patties and the smoker was at 225. Edible but I wouldnā€™t repeat. Maybe if I can get my smoker to maintain a lower temp and start with frozen patties.

Not truly low carb but left over veal parm was breakfast today!!