What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

Tonight’s savory: Pappardelle with Chicken Livers and Rosemary. Great liver recipe. Although not so good it would convert someone. (I think only Banh Mi is capable of that.) I used half the amount of rosemary, but next time I will use the full amount. Pappardelle were dried and from Trader Joe’s (TJ’s). I used TJ’s pomegranate juice in place of sherry. Salt (salted pasta water + salted butter + 1/2 tsp kosher) was perfect for us, but normals will want more salt. I will cut the livers smaller next time like how the recipe instructs. I soaked the livers in milk, then dried them, even though the recipe didn’t say to. The optional parsley didn’t go with it, in my opinion (I kept it on the side.) Also, I will probably double all the sauce ingredients. I have an agreement with family to alternate less sauce (my preference) and more sauce (blasphemy) for pasta. Actually, liver haters will still happily eat the pasta. Then you can save their liver portions for pizza or sandwiches. Warning: cooking livers on high heat makes a lot of mess.

20171216_181626

Previous savories:

Flour+Water’s Margherita. Followed recipe to the letter. I consider myself a Neapolitan-style person, but whatever type of crust this is, it was spectacular. My first time using 00 flour. The crust was crispy and chewy with small bubbles that provided great texture. Only issue is the dough takes up a lot of fridge space. Also, waiting 2 days for the dough to finish was hard when everyone wants pizza now.

English Muffin. We have no strong labels as far as breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sometimes I’ll eat my last meal at 3, other times at 8. Didn’t take a pic of this “dinner”: muffin – split and toasted – with goat cheese, TJ’s everything spice, smoked salmon, capers, red onions, cucumbers.

muffin

Rare time-to-myself-in-the-late-afternoon meal. Asian pear, kimchi (store bought), I call that an omelet, avocado, spicy seafood miso soup, pumpkin pie, chocolate chip walnut pecan cookie, pie crust cookie w/ cinnamon sugar, iced coffee.

justme

9 Likes

Today’s sweet: Turtle Bars. Good, not great. Layers need more distinction. And I could write an essay on – health/stigma aside – why corn syrup is just not good. But the first time I try hard to respect the recipe. These were oddly better straight from the fridge than at room temp. I froze these earlier this month and thawed them today, maybe that made it better.

turtle

Previous sweets:

Pound Cake. Everything a pound cake should be. “I don’t eat plain cake.” Well, now you do.

pound

Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Bundt Cake. Wanted to love it. Love the idea of a doughnut cake. It was too moist. (2nd essay: “Stop with the moistness already”.) I found the flavor confusing, like the cake didn’t know what it wanted to be. This is the second time I made it, thinking I messed up the first time, but it’s just not my cup of tea.

apple

Eclairs. Eclairs from 99% of bakeries are soggy and old-tasting, so homemade choux is good even when it’s not. I used a whipped cream dispenser for the cream puffs and the cream was too light. Next time I will whip the cream with a hand mixer.

eclair

Sugared Jam Cake. Somewhere in between a muffin, doughnut, and cake, it was everything I wanted the doughnut cake above to be. I used Bonne Maman wild blueberry preserves and fresh blackberries instead of making jam like in the recipe, and it was easily the weakest part of the cake. Can’t wait to make it again with fresh filling.

sugared

10 Likes

Those are GORGEOUS English muffins, bmore! And the pizza looks amazing as well!

1 Like

Friday’s dinner was my Company’s Holiday party. The proverbial “artisan cheese” on display, because if I don’t have it, for some reason people complain. And it seemed to go over well this year! (Always a crapshoot)

Passed horsey deeorvies were Prosciutto-Melon Sailboats (meh. I should have known better…the melon was some crappy honeydew), Goat Cheese Arancini (very good), Coconut Chicken (didn’t try), Mini Crab Cakes (fair), and Lollipop Lamb Chops (very good and tender, but needed a “sear” on them…they seemed more baked than grilled).

For dinner, there was plated salad consisting of Boston lettuce, pistachios, dried cranberries, with a pom-citrus vinaigrette, and the buffet was:

• Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sauce (superb)
  • Carved Tenderloin with Port Wine Bordelaise (superb)
  • Grilled Salmon with Maple Cider Glaze (very good)
  • Potato Gratin Gruyere (fair)
  • Green Beans with Almonds (standard)

Dessert was mini pastries, coffee, tea. There was open bar during the cocktail hour; poured Cabernet Sauvignon or Sauvignon Blanc during dinner, and a short open bar after dinner, in case any one wanted an after dinner drink (HAH! Of course they did!).

After a slow start on Saturday, I Wegman’d. Picked up some local dry sea scallops and made scallops in saffron cream sauce, basmati rice, and steamed green beans (completely forgetting that I had green bean’d the night before). The sauce was a bit too neon yellow, as I had added more than just a pinch of saffron, so no pics. But it still tasted good.

Tonight will be chicken thighs. I’ve pulled out an old recipe called Mushroom Chicken Imperial (an old 1950s recipe from Good Housekeeping that was updated in the '80s), but I’m not sure I’m feeling it. Will have to see what I’m in the mood for later.

Today will be some baking for work. Along with Orange-Spiced Nuts, I’m hoping to make Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread, White Chocolate & Pistachio Cookies, and Snickerdoodle Bars. We’ll see how ambitious I’ll be.

7 Likes

That is VERY ambitious indeed.

2 Likes

The Orange-Spiced Nuts and Pumpkin Cranberry Bread are easy-peasy, so they’ll be done first. Right now, I’m watching Top Chef Ep 2 from Thursday night.

Do you work at a bakery (I mean are you testing recipes) or are these just things you bring in for your co-workers? Holy cow, your co-workers are super lucky either way.

Just bringing it in for my coworkers. The “grazing” started last week from edible gifts (cookies, chocolate, etc.) that came in from clients; I’ll just add to the pile. :smiley:

1 Like

I used to get frozen English muffins in Germany. On my list to make them at home, one day. Yours look very nice @bmorecupcake!

I’m never ambitious when it comes to baking, @LindaWhit. :cold_sweat: Good luck!

2 Likes

It was a Saturday night fondue party with an assist from Trader Joe’s. Dippers included shrimp, sirloin tips, roasted crimini mushrooms and mini low carb rolls.

I’m currently obsessed with sweet potatoes and tried the instagram-famed sweet potato “toast.” I skipped the toaster method in favor of the guaranteed oven method. It was a quick and easy nibble smeared with mixed nut butter. I’ll use leftovers today for lunch as buns for a chicken sandwich

5 Likes

Your company holiday party sounds like it was actually worth going to…!
Sounds like a generous and tasty list of treats to make for your office , pistachio cookies are something i actively seek out :))

2 Likes

Beautiful! This one sounds incredible, and perfect for a breakfast treat to feed a crowd. I saved the recipe and I’ll report back when I get an excuse to make it!

I found some good looking citrus at the market yesterday and decided to make a salad with it, plus thin raw fennel and some red onion tossed with a sharp dijon dressing, added a handful of toasted sunflower seeds too.
Dessert was hot mulled wine and a few of my friend’s sweet potato fries at a neighborhood bar.

Undecided still wfd tonight, i’ve cooked up some lentils and chickpeas might do mujadarra, or maybe a thai coconut milk curry thing…? Dunno.

2 Likes

That is enticing! I think I will give this a try…

Potato latkes, smoked chuck and coleslaw is what’s for dinner

6 Likes

Your delicious-sounding salad is similar to this one from Smitten Kitchen:

I made it for a Chanukah family lunch yesterday, and it was really good - very refreshing and pretty. I doubled it for eight people and cut the endives into small strips and mixed them in with the rest of the ingredients instead of serving it in endive boats as pictured. I liked it all mixed together, and I was feeling too lazy to mess around with arranging it nicely!

2 Likes

Today, I dropped the pancakes so I would have the energy to get other things done today. My goals were Bahn Mi bread, and then the sandwiches for dinner. In a few minutes, I will make some chicken spinach falafel for the Spring Onion.

Back to the bread. Andrea Nyugen’s instructions are so well written that making this bread is angst free.

I had cooked some char sui sous vide, and I just heated in a very hot oven. The glaze is a beast to clean off the indoor grill, so I decided not to go that route. Made up a carrot-daikon pickle and pulled some home-made paté from the freezer. Finally, made a Sriracha mayo using my home-made mayo.

Mise en place

The end results.

15 Likes

It was a quiet day today. Well, until the Patriots/Steelers game came on the screen. Jeebus, those guys are gonna be the death of me with games like that! And I apologize to my neighbors for my hollering and turning the air blue during those last few minutes. :::Phew::::

The day was spent baking for work holiday goodies:

Orange-Spiced Nuts

Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread

and White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies.

Dinner was changed last minute, as what I had planned to make would have taken longer than I was willing to spend.

Pancetta was crisped and drained for the veg. Chicken thighs were seasoned with salt/pepper and browned in the pancetta fat, and then moved to a hot oven to finish roasting.

Added a half cup of chicken stock to the fat in the pan, and then added the zest of a lemon, some chopped fresh parsley and thyme, and let it simmer to reduce, adding in a a sploosh of white wine towards the end, and then mounted with several pats of butter for a sauce.

Sides were leftover dirty-mashed potatoes, and some frozen peas and the last of the summertime corn with the pancetta sprinkled on top.

T’was a good day. Except for the near coronary at the end of the game.

10 Likes

Isn’t that recipe great?! I’ll be making these this week, too. Do you have a recipe for the pate? I’m always looking for a way to make it a little different than my plain method.

@biondanonima and @smtucker: I used a springform pan for the Sugared Jam Cake, lining the bottom with parchment. That way no stress with having to turn it out.

@LindaWhit: the spiced nuts look lovely. I always burn these types of recipes, or underbake them. Hard to get just right. Did you use egg whites?