What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

@smtucker - Your ribs look fantastic! What is the brand and model of your smoker? I keep thinking about getting one. Thanks.

I have the same one - it’s a Masterbuilt. I love it! And I third the motion on your ribs, @smtucker - they look amazing! What type of wood did you use?

@biondanonima. I chose to use cherry wood which is one of my favorites. I think that I made a good choice for this cut.

2 Likes

I bought a 30” masterbuilt. I used the link from the Special Holiday Deals on this site so that the @hungryonion would get a bit of the proceeds. I have also purchased the cold smoker so I can do cheese and fish.

You can smoke fish and cheese??? Two of my favorite foods. I may need to get one sooner rather than later!!!

2 Likes

Me too!!! And they have gotten very expensive and you still don’t know where the fish came from. Cullen Skink, smoked salmon with bagels, smoked trout spreads… be still my heart.

Looks great
I have an older model 30" Masterbuilt electric that I bought maybe 8-10 yrs ago. I was looking to upgrade to a Cookshack when this one dies but the damn thing is still going

Have a few packs of lamb ribs in the freezer but they are so darn fatty I avoid making them. Yours look really good

I like this kind of food. Extremely popular all round Europe and has different names but it’s simply “meat balls”, sometimes in (slightly) different shapes. There’s a similar minced meat dish called “Butterschnitzel” in Austria.

Your ribs in the other post look spectacular. I love smoked fish and am lucky that it’s normal food here, and is still affordable unlike some other things.

5 Likes

A cold smoker awesome. I’m going to build one out of an old refrigerator and a pot belly stove. My dad made the best smoked steelhead. He cold smoke them. I remember him telling me never get the smoker over 80 degrees.

1 Like

This is the recipe that I used, but I omitted the cherry glaze stuff. Wanted to taste the smoke and meat for my first time out with this box:

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/spice-smoked-lamb-ribs-with-cherry-barbecue-sauce/

3 Likes

I had to be on the UES tonight and was freezing and tromping through the slushy snowy sidewalks hungry when i remembered the old pizza shop i would go to way back when i lived in the area ten plus years ago. They make the best garlic knots i have ever had, no exaggeration. Craptons of garlic and a soft pillowy interior. I wanted some with soup but their soup today had chicken stock so i took my knots to go and wafted garlicky waves of delicious across the entire subway car from my bag that was missing two by the time i got to the subway station.
I put together a quicky tomato soup and had that with the rest of my garlic knots. Good stuff.
Borrowed this photo from yelp, the place was crazy busy when i was there. (Don fillipo on lexington b/w 78 and 79th)

14 Likes

Wow!!

1 Like

One of the notes that I have written to myself is, in the smoker vs. the charcoal grill/smoker, I should trim more of the fat. It didn’t renew as much as I have anticipated. However, since the fat was simply the first layer of the rib, it was easy to remove while eating. Downside of course, was the all that nice rub went away as well.

This is a very unfair photo for a low-carber to see before breakfast. I’m thinking of putting on a bib to catch the drool. :yum:

3 Likes

Hahaa, they’re legit worthy of dealing with the nightmare 6train subway to get there- and throwing any low carb regime out the window! (Fun fact: they’re accidentally vegan)

1 Like

The word that people keep using when talking about me is toxicity. Not my favorite word. With the demise of the fridge, I lost tons of food. But, until I have a replacement, I can’t replenish that food. So tonight, we did a combo of at-home/take-out.

I made Sahni’s Everyday Dal and some basmati rice. From the local Indian spot, we ordered some chicken wings and samosa. The wings were not great. Clearly they had been cooked off in advance. But, my focus was on the dal and rice.

Enough leftover for one more meal, and I will roast those wings to get the skin crispy.

Tomorrow night? Bahn mi. I will start the bread in the morning.

3 Likes

Didn’t know you were purported to be toxic :grin::yum:

I could live on legumes or beans and rice without a problem.

1 Like

I got a new range today! The one I inherited when we bought our house last year was a complete POS - the oven cooked everything unevenly and the stovetop had weak burners that wouldn’t light half the time. Two of the burners repeatedly turned themselves off mid-cook during Thanksgiving prep, so I decided it was time for an upgrade. I have been thinking about induction, but that would have required an electrical upgrade, so I decided to stick with gas - I’ll consider induction when we do a full remodel (that’s a few years down the road for sure). Here’s the model: https://www.goedekers.com/GE-CGS995SELSS.html

Anyway, I broke it in with white bean chicken chili, a nice hearty stew for a warm day. The burners are terrific! I’ll test out the ovens tomorrow with some roasted vegetables and possibly a holiday treat for my husband to share with his coworkers.

9 Likes

I hope that your new range makes your food and you happy!

I am doing what I can!