What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

I made a delicious seafood (scallop and clam) chowder for lunch today - I use pureed cauliflower as the base instead of a roux or potato base. Lots of seafood, plenty of sauteed leeks and a generous crumble of bacon on top. Yum. However, I had to go into the city for an audition this afternoon, and by the time I got home I was too lazy to cook anything else, so…takeout sushi for dinner! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Well, coincidentally, we had bracciole tonight. A Giada recipe with the addition of some raisins in the filling. The meat ended up being somewhat dry, although the overall flavors were good. What cut of meat did you use and how long did you cook it? Mine was flank stead for 90 minutes at 350.

We had it over some lovely pappardelle from Waverly Market in Framingham MA.

3 Likes

@bear. To be honest I am not sure. The man that sells me the whole lamb each year owns a dairy farm. The dairy farm is his primary source of work and income. The lamb is just a side line, mostly managed by his wife. He keeps the young male cows all summer long, and they hang with the lambs out in the pastures. They run and play. But in the late Fall, he has to cull. He can’t call these animals veal since though they are raised by their Moms and their milk, he doesn’t cage them. They eat a lot of grass. They develop muscles. So when I picked up my lamb, he gave me some thinly cut “steaks” from these younger animals. And that is what I used.

When I have made bracciole with flank steak, I have to butterfly and then pound them. Then they really need to braise for a while before they become tender. Our younger cow was tad tough since I only “braised” for about 15 minutes. However, grass fed, younger cow is mighty tasty, so neither of us minded the chew.

1 Like

doesn’t happen to me, but it may be the amount? i’ve definitely heard of that - ahem - outcome…

that is a beautifully delicious looking dish!

that meatloaf looks positively gourmet!

1 Like

Today’s fun in the kitchen was salami herb star bread. The layers were (1) parmesan with some smoked paprika and sun dried tomatoes, (2) fennel salami, and (3) pesto. We had a slice and arugula salad for dinner.

17 Likes

Wow.:relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

beautiful! a friend in a FB food group recently made one of these. so enticing.

1 Like

seared duck breasts tonight, turned out great. package turned out to have 4 breast halves. to go with, i soaked dried Turkish figs in amontillado sherry, simmered them with thyme, reduced the liquid, then served the figs with the duck. Taters fried in the rendered duck fat - SO GOOD! also, sauteed spinach with garlic on the side. Pom arils for crunch and tartness… so much duck leftover we’ll have duck hash later this week. Pic is of both our dinners on one plate.

9 Likes

Dinner last night was out with the fam, celebrating my bil’s finishing his bachelor’s degree after 23 years in the Air Force.

Scubadoo, mark Gratzie in St Pete off your list of restaurants. Food is just okay, but desperately overpriced and service is nonexistent.

1 Like

Yes, butterflying would probably help, and maybe another 45 minutes of braising. I may try a different cut next time. A little research is in order.

And your meat source sounds wonderful.

Gorgeous loaf! Do you have a recipe and/or a video with instructions? I love the shape!

Marked off my list long time ago. My cigar group use to do cigar dinners at Gratzi when they were upstairs at Baywalk years ago and the food was much better. It’s been several years since we were at their 2nd street location and the food was just meh. Never a desire to go back

1 Like

Austrian inspired meal: dumplings with Appenzeller cheese (hard and a bit stinky cheese from Appenzell, Switzerland), Tirolean Speck, chopped stalks of king trumpet mushrooms, deep fried shallots (I like them better in these dumplings, recipe calls for freshly fried onions), eggs, breadcrumbs. The sauce is just seasoned cream, Riesling and the rest of the mushroom caps.

Photo taken without camera flash then brightened considerably in post processing. I prefer this but it doesn’t work every time.

Braised Crown Prince squash. Near the end I stirred in a soup ladle of miso.

Prawns drown in Gochujang. I finally used up all the Gochujang.

We had first snow of the year yesterday. Whenever that happens I remind myself “xyz months until asparagus!”. About 5cm of the white stuff on the ground. Fresh snow again today and even more than yesterday. Dangerous to bike on snow and ice so it’s not fun for us at all. Some pics in 1 collage (click to enlarge with the magnifier icon).

7 Likes

What optimism. What a great way to look at the prospect of a long and grey winter.

3 Likes

I made four meals today. I am exhausted! Dinner had to be an easy-to-throw-together kind of meal, and it had to include potassium. Getting those tell-tale symptoms of low electrolytes.

So, I started a baked potato in the oven. Began the Braised Red Cabbage prep. Tonight I use the mandoline since my hands are a mess. Slice the cabbage, apples, and onions and then start the braise. I threw the other half of the Kielbasa into the oven during the potatoes final minutes. Done. Dinner. Oh, and there was more of that homemade sour cream on the table!

5 Likes

I made a huge batch of mapo tofu tonight, to eat over steamed broccoli. One of my favorite comfort meals, and plenty leftover for DH’s lunch for a few days.

3 Likes

Bio…the recipe was from the King Arthur holiday magazine, Stir.

Link here.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/salami-and-herb-star-bread-recipe

And, since I read these directions and could it figure out what it want me to do, here are the photos which made it a lot clearer.

9 Likes

last night i made a pasta (conchiglie)/bean dish for tonight’s dinner, with added Argentinian sausage. beans were cooked in chicken feet stock, garlic and fresh thyme. drained, tossed with pasta, spinach, added tons of parm regg, drizzled olive oil. pan fried the sausage in duck fat, cut them up and mixed them in. a little cream tonight added just to add moisture while heating up. more parm, more olive oil. super homey, comfort food. simple green salad on the side. no leftovers!

11 Likes