What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

Costco…they have a decent dip…but I use a basic sour cream Liptons, then some Philadelphia 8oz soft cream cheese, frozen spinach and then frozen Artichokes…S&P…a splash of “Whorst”…evoo…mix it…kinda works…

Let us know how you feel about those sunchokes in the morning. I have banned them from our house because of the… ahem… morning-after effects. I love the flavor and the texture, but not the results.

I do too. But I’m extremely selective about when I eat them! Not a company dish for me.:blush:

Well, there are all kinds of “morning after” effects that I can imagine. To be honest, mornings in this house, especially 3-days post-chemo can be rather bathroom-centric. And today? Nothing! Totally normal [well, my normal which I hope isn’t yours.]

Have I simply missed a bullet? Just lucky? Or is this not a universal phenomenon?

1 Like

Dinner tonight was chicken piccata with extra sauce and capers, angel hair pasta, and a green salad with a bracing mustard vinaigrette.

Today was a big day. I took the grand-scallion and myself for hair cuts. This was the scallion’s first hair cut ever, and this was the first I have had since it all fell out 11 months ago. The scallion was PERFECT. She watched before Ashley was read y for her, and when she saw those scissors, she would state “snip, snip, snip”… and then when it was her turn, she sat still and let her hair fall to the floor.

And the best part? My parking space was directly in front of 7ate9 Bakery, home of the best lemon cheesecake I have ever eaten. They didn’t have a small one, so I bought two minis and that was dessert tonight.

6 Likes

Well, I think it’s a combination. Some people are more suseptible and some sunchokes are more effective. Either way, they’re not welcome at our house

1 Like

Just pulled this chick off the smoker

Early dinner

Then off to see David Crosby at a small venue theater

13 Likes

Everyone seems to have some sort of issues when eating sunchokes but i have never had any consequences at all… maybe because my tummy is used to lots of high fiber dense veggies and beans

1 Like

Well, round 1 worked for me. However, I will be cautious as I make them at home. Not too many until we are sure.

1 Like

Today, it was Mr. SMT’s stomach that didn’t feel well so oatmeal again! I enjoyed some roasted nuts, dried cranberries while he just went with a bit of sugar. Simple and warm, which isn’t bad given we have SNOW. Already done one round of shoveling.

2 Likes

I have been craving meatloaf. That’s what’s for dinner with mashed potatoes and vegetable. Wine to drink to . Cheers👀

1 Like

I have had several meatloaf cravings over the past few years and somehow the results of my efforts have fell short. Do you have a recipe that you rely on? If so, would you share?

I’m combining a couple recipes I found online. A cross between Ina Garten and one from allrecipes.com. a little twist of my own. I’ll tell you how it comes out.

1 Like

A nice relaxing and lazy day reading and watching the snow fall, cheesy Christmasy Lifetime TV, and whatever else hit my fancy.

Dinner was pork chops with what was supposed to be brandied pears (needs some tweaking to get those pears “brandied”), roasted potatoes, and sauteed garlicky spinach with toasted almonds (no pine nuts). Wine. And perhaps something chocolatey later.

9 Likes

It was snowing here allll daayyyy long! Yikes. After a lot of poking around this soup sounded fantastic and different enough from my usual rotation. I made a big batch of veg stock since i was nearly out anyhow, and then used most of a bunch of tuscan kale (what the heck is a quart of kale??) i also added in some white beans to make it a bit more hearty. I had a bowl for a late lunch and loved it so much i had some for dinner too! The scallions and sesame oil when serving really make the dish. Simple enough to make, i will definitely repeat again this winter!

4 Likes

Yeah it’s been a long time since I had meatloaf until the other day. The smoked meatloaf was killer good. I think the last time I had meatloaf it was smoked so wonder why I don’t make it often. Oh yeah, my wife’s not a fan of meatloaf

Well here is the meatloaf. Soft in texture and flavorful. I served up some buttered radishes and mashed potatoes.

12 Likes

Yum and I love the braised radishes

Tonight was a modest bracciole stuffed with spinach and mozzarella in a very simple Calabrian marinara sauce, served over oven polenta. Hard to see the roll under the sauce, but that is what happened tonight.

8 Likes

Errands got done.
Survived “da mall”.
Did “stuff” around the house.
Made dinner.
Penne Parma Rosa with sauteed chicken, broccoli and red bell pepper.
Crusty roll and wine alongside.
Outlander’s Season 3 finale (waaah!!!) on the flat screen.
A thoroughly relatively boring day.
I’ll take it as it kicks back into gear tomorrow.

3 Likes