What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

ok, i’ll give you that!

1 Like

You totally have to check out the “will it waffle” recipes on serious eats! They’re kind of hysterical bizarre and seriously brilliant…!! Like, old fries, mashed potatoes, ramen…
http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/will%20it%20waffle

4 Likes

Ohhhhh, waffle iron churros!

3 Likes

Oh. I don’t own a waffle iron! The kid took it when she moved out, which might be irritating if I hadn’t given it to her one Christmas. In actual fact, it was hers.

2 Likes

Dinner here was the rest of the Onion tart, some of the crackers with both the herbed goat cheese and some cave aged Gruyere. Start cycle 10 in the morning, and I suspect that I will starving!

1 Like

Last night i had more of that delicious oma’s cabbage :smile: i had stopped into whole foods and found some nice super dark pumpernickel which i toasted, schmeared with my mustard and piled the cabbage ontop. Great combo.

Via some small miracle i got home at a decent time and decided to make this new to me almond butter miso salad dressing (without the sugar or siracha), but i wasn’t patient enough to bake my tofu. I used the high protein tofu from trader joe’s that doesn’t need to be pressed and just seared the cubes in a sautee pan, meanwhile i chopped up some iceburg, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, and radishes. All of that got mixed with the tofu and dressing and some hemp seeds. Mug of miso broth with some scallions a la carte.
Glad i made the whole batch of dressing, there’s some leftover for another salad or two; it’s really tasty and has a nice creamy texture. I almost followed this recipe for the dressing

6 Likes

pasta e fagioli, partially based on Lidia Bastianich’s recipe (thanks, @smtucker! ) wasn’t pretty but it was good. super porky from the guanciale (instead of the bacon called for). i added zucchini for some veg, and used racchette - a new-to-me pasta shape - when i could find ditalini nowhere! I’d add more beans next time. Grated parm over the top (cooked with the rind, too), and a drizzle of olive oil. alongside was some warm parmy/buttery ciabatta, and a bland tomato salad that i wasted good sherry vinegar on.

but that soup… glad i froze some. BF polished off two bowls and licked the pot clean.

Uploading…

9 Likes

Long hospital day. I have to eat more sweet potatoes and artichokes. But, otherwise, not bad. However, I woke at 5am and got home at 3PM, just in time to check in a large group of Chinese women to the AirBNB. Honestly, I was exhausted. And Mr. SMT? He turned 65 today. Kind of a big deal and he wanted Mexican. He wanted to go to Rincon Mexicano and that it exactly what we did.

Three pork tacos for him; tortilla soup for me; and dinner was done.

Special meal Thursday at Sarma, but really, his idea of perfect is a simple meal of tacos.

9 Likes

@mariacarmen. Next time, try Mario Batali’s recipe. I think it might be better. I have given up on borlotti beans unless I freeze them after actually finding them at a farmer’s market, and substitute small red beans.

I use homemade pasta bits that I cut into angel hair and freeze.

Your soup looks marvelous.

2 Likes

I gotta make my own one day, i feel like i “don’t like” pasta e fagioli because i have had poor versions with boring overcooked veg and mooshy also overcooked pasta. Did you freeze the soup pasta free?
Those tennis racket shapes are fantastic! I meant to buy orzo a few weeks ago and as i was putting away groceries i realized i bought the same sized box from the same brand but grabbed alphabet pasta!! Hahaha! So now I’m saving it for something good because that’s entertaining. Maybe this soup! Maybe i should add extra olive oil instead of using the bacon fat?

3 Likes

i don’t think you necessarily need to add more olive oil… you’ll saute your aromatics in olive oil, i drizzled olive oil over the top… you just won’t have porkiness, but you don’t care about that anyway, right? because it wasn’t just pork fat, it was guanciale, pork cheeks. but yeah, it was pretty fatty.

i’d never had pasta fagioli! so i liked mine. i put the zucchini in last. and yes, i froze it without the pasta. i think you need a rather substantial pasta shape, something sturdy, thick, so maybe the alphabets wouldn’t be a good choice in this. i bought some annelli at first, when i couldn’t find the ditalini, but they really would have not held up. that’s when i bought those cute rackets. good luck!

1 Like

ok, thanks! i did really love this version, so i’m curious to see what Mario does.

angel hair! so thin… i liked the chewiness of the racchette. an italian friend on another foodie venue said the dish usually calls for heartier pasta.

Pollo guisado. sauteed onion & garlic, jalapenos, tomato, sliced corn on the cob, carrots, lots of oregano, sazon… Browned chicken leg & thigh meat. Chicken bouillon cube and water. simmers for about an hour. The broth is AMAZING. TJs corn tortillas charred on the stove-top, for sopping. Also, Mexi-rice with a splash of liquid smoke - YUMMY. We ate the whole pot of rice!

and a little green salad with grilled marinated artichoke hearts, cukes, lettuce, scallions, and red onion.

9 Likes

Snow in the forecast and I honestly don’t want to run errands on Saturday so decided to go after work last night, late night home meant a quick dinner of random quick meals. Serious eats skillet tortilla pizza - white style with olive oil, garlic and provolone, followed by fried eggs with cheese, salsa and guacamole

7 Likes

To me, the two recipes share a name, culinary roots, and not much else. Don’t compare… just have each of them in your arsenal depending on what you want that day!

3 Likes

Numbers yesterday attest to the fact that I have gotten really tired of eating potatoes and artichokes.

Back to it immediately. Made a huge pot of Potato Leek Soup and for the first time added some Aleppo peppers. Good call! This was a four ingredient soup. Leeks, potato, aleppo peppers, salt, and then the water. Topped with the rest of the herbed goat cheese and some chives that I dried early last week from the garden. Served with a bit of Wegmans’ Kielbasa and one of those pretzels that I had frozen. Not a bad little supper. No pictures. The camera was upstairs and my feet didn’t want to climb the stairs again.

Anyone have a killer artichoke dip recipe that uses either creme fraiche or sour cream? I have lots of those items to use up.

6 Likes

Oooh, i love potato leek soup- nice addition with the pepper!
You could do a potato gratin with basically artichoke creamy dip for the creamy part of it, or! Oven fries with the artichoke dip!
Or baked potatoes with artichoke dip like these?

(Or if you’re near a trader joe they sell a frozen artichoke dip that you bake and have some tasty frozen fries options for a night off from cooking)

5 Likes

Finally got home from work at a reasonable hour to give me time to make something other than a bowl of cereal or reheating leftover veggies for dinner:

Beef Stroganoff with egg noodles and peas. Didn’t have a whole lot of mushrooms in the fridgerator, so I tossed in about 2 Tbsp of caramelized onions in the fridge from the cheese steak sandwiches this past weekend.

Yep. Wine.

7 Likes

Thanks!
I’m more than fine with a lack of porky flavor! (Actually never liked bacon or sausages etc back when i was a kid and an omni)
Good call on the pasta needing to be sturdy, i’ll save my alphabets for something else.

1 Like

Last night was late, i scored some fancy sourdough pretzels from a gift basket thingy that was in the office and then hit whole foods prepared section near my subway home for a vegan kale ceasar salad with added tempeh. Pretty good but kinda heavy on the seaweed flavor (which i think was in the dressing as the anchovy sub). Overpriced bottle of hard cider a la carte.

Got in too early and left at a semi decent time tonight. Hippie bowl with some quinoa from the freezer that i warmed up and dribbled with toasted sesame oil, shelled edamame with furikake, sauteed some cruciferous crunch with a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Chopped scallions and cilantro over all of it. I wanted avocado but the dumb thing is still hard as a rock…
i see hot chocolate with almond milk (made from chopped dark chocolate whisked into the heating almond milk) and a big pile of vegan mini marshmallows in my not distant future.

4 Likes