What's At Your Local Farmers Market? The Bountiful Fresh Veggies, Fruits, Meats, Nuts and More Grown By Your Local Farmers [Thoughts + Pics]

I don’t know of any source for fresh paw-paw, but you can get the vinegar or syrup from the excellent Lindera Farms:

Haven’t tried their paw paw vinegar, but I do like some of their other vinegars.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 at the Irvine Saturday FM Arnett didn’t have any pluots on Saturday 5/14. I’ll have to go again this week. We’ve been waiting. The white peaches were pretty good last week but still early in the season.

1 Like

Hi @js76wisco ,

Thanks for the report back! :slight_smile: Re: Pluots - Oh sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post. The Flavor King Pluots are definitely not ready yet. :wink: I posted about them from last year’s batch, wanting to tell everyone to keep an eye out for them this season. :slight_smile:

The farmhand at Arnett Farms (Hollywood) told me they should be arriving next month or so? Some stone fruit is rolling in now obviously. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @chienrouge ,

Thanks for the article link. Add me to the list of Americans that have never heard of this native fruit of ours. :sweat_smile: Great article, and it explains why we never see it:

“Commercial farmers have long shunned them because they need a special growing environment of low, wet areas and because they spoil only a few days after harvest.”

I’d definitely love to try fresh Paw-paws as well.

Just wait there will be a $30 cocktail made with it.

1 Like

Update 1:

For those that really enjoyed the Heirloom Organic Lettuces of “The Garden Of…” Farm, but were mourning its loss (leaving the Hollywood Farmers Market), the good news is that a new farm has replaced it, with an interesting back story:

Roots Organic Farm

During the final day of service, Farmer Shu Takikawa of “The Garden Of…” Farm mentioned that his student was taking over the same spot(!). And sure enough, the following week, in the same location at the Hollywood Farmers Market (North-most spot at the Farmers Market), the new farm appeared, “Roots Organic Farm” which is run by Farmer Jacob Grant.

Speaking with Jacob, he shared a touching story of how when he was younger, he wanted to learn farming, but no one would teach him. He showed up at “The Garden Of…” Farm and approached Farmer-Owner Shu Takikawa about learning. But Shu turned him away saying he didn’t have time to hire and teach anyone at the time. But Jacob never gave up. He continued to show up every day, and volunteered to work for free, to learn the craft.

In the end, after many years of learning and working with Shu, Jacob said that Shu told him he was his best student. :slight_smile: Neat.

Thankfully Jacob learned to grow many of the same Heirloom Lettuces that Shu grew and sold at The Garden Of…

Organic Heirloom Lettuces:

We’ve been trying various ones over the last 2 weeks and they are quite good. I’m still partial to “The Garden Of…”‘s offerings, but since they are no longer here, we’ll gladly buy from Roots Organic Farm instead. Roots’ offerings are better than anything else we’ve tried from various farmers markets (besides The Garden Of), and better than any Supermarket offerings for sure. :slight_smile: (@ElsieDee @paranoidgarliclover @BradFord @js76wisco @A5KOBE @attran99 and all.)

Roots also has a much larger variety of offerings than The Garden Of, with things like…

Organic Potatoes:

We haven’t tried their Organic Potatoes, but I’ll try some this week.

Organic Spring Onions & Organic Cabbage:

Organic Escarole & Organic Sugar Snap Peas:

Various Organic Herbs:

Organic Sprouting Broccoli:

The Organic Sprouting Broccoli was quite fresh, and had a lightly inherently sweet vegetal taste. Although we found the outer stalk exterior a bit tougher than expected (up until the sprouting Broccoli Floret).

Roots Organic Farm
(@ Hollywood Farmers Market (Sunday))
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Day: Sunday
Hours: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM

https://www.instagram.com/roots_organic_farm/

Harry’s Berries (Revisit)

Organic Gaviota Strawberries:

Since we had a good discussion on Harry’s Berries Organic Strawberries’ ripeness, we wanted to report back that the past week’s batch of Organic Gaviota Strawberries from Harry’s Berries were ~75% sweet ripe, meaning about 75% of the basket was super fragrant, ripe, super sweet Harry’s Berries that we’re used to in the past (legendary), but 25% of the basket had Strawberries that were just OK. A touch tart-sweet, not really that maximum Harry’s Berries loveliness we expect. Still quite good, but expensive. :slight_smile: (@paranoidgarliclover @chienrouge @js76wisco @BradFord and all)

Harry’s Berries
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028
https://www.instagram.com/harrysberries/

(At the Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday

(And at additional farmers markets in Southern California, including Pasadena.)

Murray Family Farms (Revisit)

It’s shocking to believe that this year’s Cherry Season is over! :frowning: Farmer Steven Murray posted that due to the sudden heat wave last week, it wiped out the remaining crops, and he expects this week they might have a few palettes of Organic Cherries, but no guarantees, but after that, no more. Wow. It felt like Cherry Season was only 1 month!

Organic Arvin Glenn Cherries:

We settled on the only Organic Cherry varietal Murray Family Farms had left, the Organic Arvin Glenn Cherries, which were still delicious. :slight_smile: As before, they were plump and crunchy, nice amount of juice, and sweet-tart.

But don’t fret because Murray Family Farms’ next specialty is coming soon (in season)!

Organic Grapes (Tons of Varietals!) :heart:

Murray Family Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday

(Also at these Farmers Markets):

Tuesday
Culver City

Wednesday
Santa Monica
Altadena

Thursday
South Pasadena
Thousand Oaks

Friday
Venice Beach
Saturday
Santa Monica @ Pico
Santa Barbara
Joshua Tree
Palm Spring
Playa Vista
Torrance
Bakersfield F Street

Sunday
Hollywood
Mar Vista
Encino
Studio City
Beverly Hills
Ojai
Santa Clarita
Atwater
Bakersfield - Haggin Oaks

6 Likes

I was walking by the Santa Monica farmers market yesterday and saw the tamai 3 pack for 18 dollars. It was overflowing. They were dark and sweet all sizes and about 2/3 3/4 success rate. The others weren’t bad just not great. All and all a good deal I couldn’t pass up. I think they were Albion. I may be wrong. Harrys smaller more expensive stuff across the way didn’t happen. Worked out.

2 Likes

what’s your spot for mangos? enjoyed some sticky rice, coconut milk and mango and we want to upscale this…

1 Like

Hi @chienrouge ,

Good question. I haven’t seen Mangoes offered at local farmers market stands (or we might’ve missed them). Do Mangoes grow in California? I wonder.

My friend has a mango tree in Ktown area. Nice mangos too. Not super prolific. I never see em at farmers market either.

But farmers markets aside some mangos better than others and the great ones are next level. The ones from some of the Thai supermarkets out in Hollywood seem superior.

Somewhat related…Have you been to Sasoun?

@chiel could get soursop there too. I’ve never bought it. They have rambutans and other unusual stuff. Durian.

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999

i found this about Wong farms (Coachella)…looks like we are a few months out for farmer’s market mangoes but I’ll keep a lookout, and in the meantime shop in thaitown.

Ripe time for mangoes from Wong Farms - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

1 Like

Hi @chienrouge ,

Ah, Wong Farms! I’ve heard about them from the LA Times in the past. Thanks for the info. I’ll keep an eye out for their Mangoes. :slight_smile:

Update 2:

Some interesting offerings as the seasons change!

Hollywood Farmers Market

It was a relatively quiet, lazy Sunday this past weekend at the Hollywood Farmers Market, but there were some noteworthy changes.

Roots Organic Farms

Roots Organic Farms continues to impress with their Heirloom Lettuces (you can see how much Farmer Jacob Grant has learned from his mentor, Shu-san, from The Garden Of…).

But they also started offering Organic Strawberries this week.

Organic Gaviota Strawberries:

They had an incredible aroma, so floral and delicate, as only in-season Strawberries can provide. :slight_smile: Taste-wise, they are floral, sweet-tart, nowhere near the pure sweetness of Harry’s Berries, but if you enjoy a bit of tart and sweet, these will do just fine.

Roots Organic Farm
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

https://www.instagram.com/roots_organic_farm/

Arnett Farms (Revisit)

It is definitely stone fruit season, and Arnett Farms are slowly getting in their massive varietals of interesting Peaches, Apricots, Plums and tons of Pluots, but the most important thing to note is:

Black Mission Figs:

Woo hoo! The 1st wave of in-season Black Mission Figs is upon us! :blush: We tried Organic Black Mission Figs from Murray Family Farms (which we adore for Organic Cherries (their 60 different varietals!), and Organic Grapes (later this Summer)), but FYI, Murray’s Figs were just OK. Lightly sweet, soft, ripe, but underwhelming.

Arnett Farms has always been our favorite source for in-season, fresh, super sweet Black Mission Figs, and this season’s 1st wave offering?

Stunning! Absurdly sweet and round (but not saccharine), creamy, luscious texture, hands down the best Black Mission Figs we’ve had so far (and consistently our favorite every year). :heart: :heart: Do not miss out on the 1st wave of Black Mission Figs (usually lasts for 2 - 3 weeks at most). (@ipsedixit @BradFord @paranoidgarliclover @A5KOBE @js76wisco @chienrouge @ElsieDee and all.)

Arnett Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

(Also at these Farmers Markets):

Tuesday
Culver City
Torrance
Manhattan Beach

Wednesday
Tustin

Thursday
Westwood Village
La Cienega

Saturday
Playa Vista
Calabasas

Saturday
Irvine

Sunday
Hollywood
Brentwood
Pacific Palisades
Studio City
Mar Vista
Larchmont

Tenerelli Orchards

And… Tenerelli Orchards is back! :peach: :peach: :peach: Our favorite Peach farmers are finally back (they said the crop was just a few weeks late this year). :slight_smile:

They only had Apricots this week, but said Peaches should be arriving next week or the week after.

"Golden Sweet" Apricots:

I’m usually more of a Peach fan, but Tenerelli’s first varietal “Golden Sweet” Apricots were excellent! Let them soften up and ripen on your kitchen counter, and enjoy. They were a balanced sweetness, soft flesh, good juiciness. :blush:

Tenerelli Orchards
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Yasutomi Farms (Revisit)

Since @BradFord was asking about a good Cherry Tomato source, I had to do some research and try various Cherry Tomatoes to help out. :wink: (We also love great Cherry Tomatoes and needed a replacement for The Garden Of… retiring.)

Yasutomi Farms is currently offering 3 varietals of Cherry Tomatoes:

"Fruit Tomatoes" Cherry Tomatoes:

Soft Cherry Tomatoes:

Japanese Cherry Tomatoes:

After chatting with one of Yasutomi’s helpers, she strongly recommended the Japanese Cherry Tomatoes, which is what we bought a basket of. Taking a bite: Stunning aroma. It has that deep umami, sweet-tart, ripe, in-season Tomato flavor. Real Tomato flavor that we’re so fortunate to enjoy where many parts of the country have to live with bland, mass-produced, supermarket Tomatoes.

These were a flavor explosion and the best Cherry Tomatoes we’ve had this year! :heart: :blush: @BradFord @paranoidgarliclover and all.

Yasutomi Farms
1600 Ivar Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00PM

(Also @ Santa Monica Farmers Market (Wednesday))
155 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Day: Wednesday

7 Likes

Excellent, thanks for your update and great intel; I’ll be sure to check them out this Sunday!. Thanks for the tip on the Japanese cherry tomatoes from Yasutomi Farms especially!

2 Likes

Any idea what the purple topped/yellowish bottomed radish in the “Organic Daikon Radish” picture is (on the left next to the fennel)? I got something like that in my CSA bag this week and I’m trying to figure it out. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Amandarama ,

Ah! I think that’s a Purple Top Rutabaga?

I haven’t cooked those before, but read that it’s similar to how you’d cook turnips? Good luck!

Oh, yay! I was hoping it was a rutabaga. The ones in the grocery stores around here are a lot rounder. I love them steamed and then mashed with butter and sour cream. I see lunch in my future! Thank you!

1 Like

No problem! :slight_smile: Let me know how your mashed Rutabaga turns out (it sounds delicious).

1 Like

Never thought cherry tomatos could be so good. When kids love veggies it’s a moment. My 9 year old reminded me that tomatos are fruits. The perfect yellow peaches at tennerelli great too. Sweet but not falling apart. The pit sorta comes right out. We got these and some baby artichokes at Santa Monica farmers market today. Those artichokes are good cuz ez to cook and eat

Cheers and happy :us:

3 Likes

So glad you and your family enjoyed the Tenerelli Peaches and the Cherry Tomatoes. :slight_smile:

I’ll keep an eye out for the Baby Artichokes, thanks!