What Wine Did You Drink Today #1? 2015-2020

Had this last night. enjoyable wine at a good price point.

I’m in Rome and the waiter suggested Soave with our meal ( mainly cow offal). The Soave I’ve had in the UK is thin acidic stuff but this had a bit of body and some RS. Also at the cheaper end of the list and way under my top budget so top marks for the suggestion. Wouldn’t happen in London.

Truly god Soave is NEVER “thin and acidic.”

Or “good,” if I bothered to check for typos . . .

Served with lamb chops – still very young and primary, but good to know how it’s evolving . . . .

A 2000 Beaujolais L’Ancien (vielles vignes) from Jean-Paul Brun, served with brined pork chops; bow-tie pasta dressed with olive oil, butter, garlic and shallots; and an arugula salad with herbs, radishes, and parmesan . . .

2010, I think, from the photo?

Still in Rome
A lovely Rosso di Montalcino with my rigatoni pajata. Also an excellent Principe Pallavicini ‘Stillato’ Passito di Malvasia Puntinata, with the cheeses.

Yes . . 2010 – my fingers must have “stuttered.” ;^) Thanks for catching the typo.

Dashe 2009 Grenache, “Les Enfants Terribles,” Dry Creek Valley AVA

Still youthful at 6 years of age, but ranking beautifully with brined pork chops . . .

Dashe makes a very good Zin dessert wine which we try to always have on hand. Just sayin’.

That, of course, should read “drinking beautifully”, had I bothered to proof-read my post . . . .

California grenache is so underrated these days.

Duck liver mousse, some truffled Pecorino, some Occelli al Pepe, Ewephoria, and a cheese from Spain our friend brought us – pair beautifully with 1999 David Bruce Santa Cruz Mtns. Estate Petite S[i]rah… Great dinner; exceptional wine.

Krupp Bros Black Bart Marsanne 2007 Stagecoach Vineyard

Paired with OR Dungeness Crab last night and the remaining glass with fresh mozzarella, black russian heirloom tomato slices with cilantro and lemon olive oil on thin sliced toasted baguette ovals. Not all that familiar with this varietal on its own, it was lush, rich and a great match. Best I’ve had so far would love additional recos for more to try.

With Moroccan-spiced lamb kofta, this 10-year old Crus de Beaujolais sang!

2005 Coudert Pere et Fils “Clos de la Roilette” Fleurie

Had a magnum of 2004 Margaux. Lovely on first sniff. Turned out to be one of the flattest, one dimensional Bordeaux’s I’ve had for a while. Not sure if we were too late or too soon or if 04 was a bad year I Thought not on 04.

2004 was a good to very good year, but I would think the wine might be too young – in a dumb stage of its evolution . . . especially in a Magnum!

Relaxing after the holiday crazy this is tasty

With caviar . . .

n.v. Champagne Jacquesson Cuvée No. 737 Extra Brut

And with pasta in a homemade tomato, sausage and mushroom sauce with fresh herbs . . .

2005 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional (Douro, Portugal)