What Wine Did You Drink Today #1? 2015-2020

Mrs. P made a ‘mighty rad gumbo’ as the band Little Feat sang :grinning: She made this back in January but the roux wasn’t thick enough. Tonight we reheated a portion, but she added duck fat, flour, and Cajun spices, which really thickened the roux, and gave it a nice kick. We had a 2013 Bergevin Lane Columbia Valley cabernet which really picked up the spices in the gumbo.

2 Likes

Your meal looked delicious!

The note of the wine seemed like a very good match.

1 Like

Thank you naf! It was delicious and the wine was a perfect match with it.

Tonight I had an excellent 2014 Janasse Chateauneuf Du Pape which was made up of 100% Grenache. Wine Library had a great sale last week. It supposedly originally retailed for $80, and was on sale for $29.99. it went great with a lobster bolognese from Drew’s Bayshore Bistro that contained 1 1/2 pounds of lobster and tasso ham in the bolognese sauce :yum:

4 Likes

I had an excellent 2016 Tobia Tempranillo tonight.

3 Likes

Wine / food pairing of dinner at l’Arcane, more about the meal here.

Thanks, I particularly like the first wine of the meal, Leirana Albarino Forjas del Salnes - Rias Baixas. The second one Souveraine Roussette of Philippe Grisard was floral, tender and smooth, went well with the sole.

Actually the wines were served before the arrival of the dish, as it was carte blanc, we didn’t know what the dish would be, husband guessed all the dishes correctly after tasting the wine. I thought the bourgogne was for a bird, as the restaurant announced it would be a white meat, husband’s guess was pork and got it right again.

Leirana Albarino Forjas del Salnes - Rias Baixas

Souveraine Roussette of Philippe Grisard

Robe - pale gold
Nez - Fruit compote and flowery
Bouche - Precise and delicate palate, brioche, honey, pear and vanilla
Boire - Served from 12 to 14 ° C, ideal with fish, white meats in sauce, cheeses and traditionally raclettes

Bourgogne Sylvain Pataille 2016

Nez - black fruits, spices, beautiful complexity for a village …
Bouche - a faultless, full and tasty material, silky and precise tannins.

Muscat de Rivesaltes of Domain de la Coume du Roy 2015

2 Likes

We had an excellent 2016 Seghesio Sonoma Red Zinfandel tonight. It went great with a roast farmhouse duckling with braised red cabbage in a blood orange coco sauce.

2016 - Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel

93 Points Wine Spectator

• Sub RegionSonoma
  • RegionCalifornia
  • Size750 mL
  • CountryUnited States
  • ABV14.8%
  • Varietal(s)Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Syrah / Shiraz, Carignan / Carinena

From the Critics:

• Loaded with rich, jammy fruit, this plump Zin is a pleasure to drink, with bold accents of wild berry, spicy cinnamon and licorice that glide dynamically toward plush tannins. Drink now through 2025. 122,500 cases made. - 93 Points Wine Spectator
4 Likes

Cabbage, orange and coco sauce - Wow! Interesting combination. Together with a duck, you need a wine with spicy notes.

2 Likes

Yes, the spicy red zinfandel went very well with the duck.

1 Like

A fantastic Pinot. Bright but also nice spice/herb notes.

3 Likes

Seghesio produces some nice wines. The winery was on our list several years ago when traveling through Healdsburg searching for delicious Zin. California wine hopping. One year Napa on up (actually Calistoga on down) and the next Santa Rosa on up.

3 Likes

Opened this bottle last night - it was a gift a few years back and the return of the sun seemed to call for a nice dinner and a special bottle. The wine was fantastic; dark red cherry, and a soft earthy finish. Enjoyed with a few slices of a roasted pork loin and a gratin dauphinois.

4 Likes

I had a very nice 2010 Anares Reserva Tempranillo blend from Spain tonight. It went great with a homemade Andouille sausage pizza with pesto sauce.

2 Likes

That is a wonderful wine. I opened the same bottle last week when our new KB arrivals came in. Need to make room

1 Like

I had an excellent 2014 Mas Champart French red blend consisting of Grenache, syrah, and Mourvedre. It went great with a magret duck breast with foie gras and duck confit dirty rice with a tabasco gastrique at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, NJ.

5 Likes

Duck ! Good on you. (For us last evening with duck it was a 2000 Barolo.)

1 Like

That 2000 Barolo sounds really good. Those wines can age for years.

1 Like

Every bottle is different. This time the table reaped the reward of patience.

P.S. A lifetime friend sings the praises of Mourvedre, and we have a hard time tracking down examples to honor the recommendation. Time to raid his stash.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever had a wine made out of 100% Mourvedre grapes. It’s usually blended with other grapes like Grenache and syrah.

At this point we’re working out of classification, given limited memory on the subject.