What . No holiday food and drink talk ?

Thanks! Directly from your link to my Paprika app.

of course!

Itā€™s just the two of us this year (and the cat!) - my Dad alternates between my and my brother. There is Christmas cake maturing ready to be iced. Mince pies will be bought on Christmas eve from Konditor and Cook in Borough market - the market will be frantic on Christmas eve but I love the atmosphere. and I canā€™t make mince pies anywhere near as nice.

On Christmas morning we will take coffee and mince pies up to the allotment to enjoy the peace and quiet. A late Christmas meal will be a terrine of pheasant, chicken and sausage meat layered with caramelized onions, with roast potatoes, parsnips and brussels sprouts. Christmas pudding and cream to follow. Havenā€™t decided on the wine yet - red (probably malbec) with the meal and something sweet with the pudding. Then hopefully, a long quiet read of one of the books I hope to get for Christmas!

1 Like

What does ā€œa la Avignonaiseā€ entail?

You cook the well seasoned fillets in butter in a very hot pan, so they get a good sear. Add brandy & flambee. Meanwhile, youā€™ve fried slices of bread in butter. Steak goes on top of the bread, sauce from the pan drizzled over.

We donā€™t eat much steak in the house and, when we do, itā€™s usually rump, sirloin or bavette. Fillet doesnt have the same flavour but this perks it up nicely, and is so simple.

2 Likes

A Bearnaise Mountain Dogā€¦how appropriate!

1 Like

Stop! My mouth is watering.

There are only 5 of us for Christmas dinner, so Iā€™m doing a rack of pork, roasted parsnip and carrot, grainy dijon mashed potatoes, gravy. Iā€™m craving the nice crackling from the pork roast already. Assorted French pastries for dessert.

2 Likes

OK, prep for the festive days is now well under way at Harters Hall. All non-perishable food is now purchased, leaving only an early morning fruit & veg shop on Wednesday (we no longer risk life, limb and sanity going Xmas Eve)

Two stuffings are made & in the freezer. A chestnut one I do every year and a fruity one that I havnt done for a while. The latter is a Claudia Roden recipe that was in a magazine years back which works well with the turkey but, also, cold meats like ham or pork

Thereā€™s mince pies to make and a lamb casserole. Both will have to wait for some freezer space to develop - the beats is, literally, full to overflowing.

Weā€™re heading to Newfoundland to spend Christmas with the grand kids. Itā€™s a food desert out there and hella expensive, so we plan to do very traditional dishes and baking with the kids.

1 Like

I may have to try this. Thanks!

I will be making Boilo.

What? You never heard of it??

Hereā€™s a recipe:
1 quart of rye whiskey
3 whole black peppercorns
juice one orange and lemon, add whole fuits
tablespoon of caraway seeds
8 oz honey
8 oz grain alcohol

Heat it up, under tight lid!

1 Like

Update on the meat for Christmas day. Weā€™re having Capon which the FIL picked up yesterday from the farm where he goes metal detecting . Never had it before and a looking forward to it. I also picked up the cheeses yesterday. A Perl Las, Stinking Bishop and some Old Winchester.

I presume thatā€™s a typo, mate?

Iā€™ve never had it either and Iā€™ll be interested to know how you find it. Also interested in the Winchester - apparently it can substitute for Parmesan

Yes H, should read capon. Thanks for spotting, now edited. Iā€™ll let you know how it is.

[quote=ā€œSP1, post:32, topic:2702ā€]
I will be making Boilo.

[/quote]Sounds like just the thing to knock out my traditional Christmas head cold.

2 Likes

Someone I know has a Christmas Stocking tradition for her young children: a new food item. Just about anything that doesnā€™t require refrigeration. Sometimes itā€™s a keeper, and even if the child doesnā€™t like his, the other kid might. Because itā€™s part of a celebration, the kids are actually eager to try their new foods.

1 Like

Christmas dinner menu:
Crab imperial stuffed mushrooms
Cheeses, spiced nuts, etc.
Salad with pears, candied pecans, and Humboldt Fog blue
Crab cakes (blue crab overnighted from Baltimore)
Croissants
Rice pilaf
Green beans almandine
Sprouts roasted with garlic
Pumpkin cake roll with cream cheese frosting
Cookies

Two (out of four) of us have nasty head colds. No idea how everything is going to come together, as I canā€™t smell or taste very well. Should be interesting.

1 Like

DH and I have to be at church by 8 tonight for a rehearsal, so no time for cooking. Weā€™re going to try a new-to-us place called the Beehive - supposedly an upscale diner with Greek roots. Looks like there should be a little something for everyone on the menu. Tomorrow: Flushing for a festival of dumplings and other Chinese delicacies!

2 Likes

My BIL , whoā€™s Italian has made the traditional Xmas eve dish of his region of tortellini en brodo. Also made his owm bread. SE Asian chilli squid is also in the offing.

1 Like