What makes a good Happy Hour? (NYC)

Hah! Those apps are fine. But I’m done with fried calamari forever. I always think it’s going to be good, and it is never good.

1 Like

Like so many things, once you find a place that makes it “right” it’s well worth it. Unfortunately you have to eat a lot of crap before you find any good. Sorry you gave up! If you are ever in Jersey I’ll steer ya right !!

I’m in New Jersey every spring for Passover, and sometimes a couple more times in any given year. I will definitely hit you up for recommendations next time. Before I moved out of the state, my favorites were probably The Bistro on Broadway, Front Street Trattoria (still open! holy cow), Mumford’s and Stuff Yer Face. And that fancy Chinese place on 35 in Ocean Township, which was called Stately Gardens, maybe? Umbrella drinks!

I was slightly horrified at the decision by others to go to Chevy’s in The Middle of Times Square for HH, but it was my assistant 's last day so of course i went.
Holy huge cheap drinks! Very potent margaritas were $5 til 8pm as well as a few other drinks (i tasted the sangria- weird cherry flavor to it and waaaay too sweet) free chips and salsa with frequent refills and lots of HH food specials too- i just had a few bites of the very good guacamole, i’m skeptical about the rest of the menu and was horrified at the calorie counts.
Good spot for cheap drinks with a group but i won’t be rushing back…

2 Likes

I’m not TOTALLY shocked to hear this because, IIRC, Chevy’s has pretty decent chips and salsa. And if they’re free for HH, even better! Potent margaritas for $5 are always a win for me, anyways.
La Palapa in the East Village has a solid HH too, if $5 frozen margaritas are your thang…