What Is The Hardest Job You’ve Ever Done Regarding Food?

Of all the stuff we make, I hate making mustard the most. (Its really the only thing I hate). Making the mustard is fine - it’s the clean up. Those little mustard seeds get everywhere, the block up the sink, it’s just a dammed mess.

2 Likes

Interesting! What type of cuisine were you doing? some local dishes as well?

Does people’s appetite change on high aptitude?

Desserts were western, there’s very little baking tradition there - ovens are not standard in homes. Which was also part of the difficulty - try explaining how a layer cake or French baguette should be to someone who’s never seen or tasted one.

We had western and Bhutanese or Indian options on the savory menus. I don’t think tastes change at altitude. Bhutanese food can be very spicy, with dishes that are literally mostly chilis.

There were a couple things I just couldn’t adapt, had trouble with my pate choux which is fine at sea level. And meringue, but I don’t like meringue anyway :joy:

5 Likes

Looks like problem is related with less air.

I guess language was another difficulty.

1 Like

Wow, wonderful you got it sorted out!

I worked at a seafood restaurant on eastern Long Island for several years, hired as a sudbuster and worked my way up through salad bar(salads and clam/oyster shucking), fryer (aka grease monkey), steamer station (lobsters, clams, etc.) then main cook (fish, pastas, steaks). Dishwashing was the most physically demanding. Sitting in the walk-in fridge taking the beards off of an entire bushel of mussels was pretty miserable as your hands were freezing from the cold water. But the worst was the clean up at the end of a long Saturday night when the owner would keep letting people in after we were supposed to be closed - dragging out and hosing off the food and grease covered rubber mats, scrubbing the floor then dragging them back in at one in the morning.

4 Likes

I just reread Kitchen Confidential. Sounds like you were right up in there. That type of place.

1 Like

Were you able to drive to these lodges or get to them another way? Sounds very interesting, albeit frustrating too.

Yes you could drive between them. I was based at one but would visit the others regularly. Slow nauseating road trips, I swear there’s only a few km of straight road in the country. Beautiful but another part of the challenge. Sometimes you’d get your own car and driver, mostly you’d hitch a ride on the supply run. I had to take Dramamine any time I went anywhere :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Thanks - what an adventure! I’ve seen documentaries on the roads, and surely they’re not for the feint at heart.

When I was provisioning the 3 remote bush camps in Alaska, I could drive to only one location. The one near Denali entailed about a 7 hour drive, and a meet up with a helicopter. Sometimes I accompanied my loads via helicopter and spent the night at camp. The northernmost camp required a trip via commercial airline (with the seating moved up close to the top of the plane to accommodate the freight), a fixed wing small airplane to a landing strip nearest camp and a helicopter into the camp itself. Fun, crazy and exhausting!!

3 Likes