What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

I watched Burnt a few days ago, starring Bradley Cooper. It’s a movie about… Food! Lol. Bad boy young chef threw it all away after 2 stars, due to drug use, has now become clean again and wants to go for three stars.

Mixed bag - the two lead players Cooper and Sienna Miller are good, especially the latter. But the story is predictable and very hollywood.

I actually liked the food aspects. Dishes look good, some interesting bits about sous vide cooking versus old skool frying, all helped by the British chef Marcus Wareing being in the lead for all food things. And London as a backdrop never hurts.

2 Likes

Just watched episode 2 of the new season of Shetland and it may be to dark and depressing for me. I’ve never watched any of the other seasons and I like the actress playing the new detective, but not sure if I’m going to keep watching.

1 Like

I never use cinnamon in sweet things, so maybe the savory application is more masking of nuances.

I will seek out the Kampot pepper soon — I remember you had mentioned it elsewhere and piqued my curiosity.

Many of us here travel through food when we can’t otherwise, so I will agree with you wholeheartedly in this.

I kept thinking back to Chef throughout that movie.

2 Likes

It’s so good. But I’ve also been a Gary Oldman fan since Sid & Nancy.

1 Like

Continuing to binge a number of anthology shows including Route 66. Just watched one from the first season called Sheba. The best known guest start is the always entertaining Lee Marvin but the most interesting guest star is a beautiful lady named Whitney Blake. I had never heard of her so I did some reading up. She never got many breaks in Hollywood despite her talent, and is probably best known now as the mother of Meredith Baxter. There is a strong resemblance – good genes!

We started Payback on BritBox last night, and like it. A 6 episode series.

The Holdovers. Meh. Giamatti seems to play similar characters in his movies. It was just alright for me. Kinda surprised it was nominated for Best Picture.

The nominations will be announced on 1/23. Are you from…the future?

1 Like

Oh, maybe it was the Globes. Who can keep track?

Not I, clearly.

Ah, it is the Globes. And now I am flummoxed because I just saw May December and it is neither a musical nor a comedy.

You mean like The Martian? Now there was a head scratcher of a category decision…

Was that nominated in the comedy category also? I may have laughed a couple of times.

Yup, and there was def some humor - else it would’ve been terribly bleak - but I still wouldn’t consider it a comedy.

After two episodes of Shetland I decided I don’t need anymore dark depressing British crime shows. This has gotten good reviews but I’m hesitant to start. I’m not a total wimp, love Slow Horses and Unforgotten series. Maybe it was the windswept no trees terrible weather of Shetland that got to me.

1 Like

I want to visit Shetland and the Faroe Islands some day. I love it.

I don’t have AppleTV, so haven’t seen Slow Horses yet. Lots of people love it!

I liked Unforgotten.

I can’t handle romances or RomComs these days. They piss me off. :joy:

I only can handle detective shows and thrillers lately. I like the British, German and Dutch ones, and some Scandinavian ones.

2 Likes

Anatomy of a Fall, a captivating film in French & English, and incredible performances from the lead to the boy to the DOG (!) IYCBI.

Finished the final epis of Colin from Accounts. Irreverently funny, and hoping for another season.

The Super Mario Brothers movie. It was pretty funny, although the action sequences were too long (I always think this, no matter what the movie).

1 Like

Race for Glory: Audi vs. Lancia.
My personal opinion is that it’s a lame version of The Grand Tour episode presented by Jeremy Clarkson on the same topic. If I rate that episode 10/10 I would rate the movie 2/10.

James May: Our Man in India. Watched the first one last night. I like James and this program has the same format as his others. Light, somewhat informative and interesting.

1 Like