What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

Woohoo!! More Bear this summer!

1 Like

I feel duty bound to inform @shrinkrap of this in case she doesn’t already know:

2 Likes

All the things! :heart_eyes:

I just started watching “Recipes for Love and Murder”, shared above.

How do you like it so far @shrinkrap ?

Meera Syal + detecting + food = gotta at least check it out.

1 Like

Well I usually avoid series because I prefer what I’m watching to be resolved quickly, but I am now on Ep. 5! I think that’s because it’s the kind of thing I can easily interrupt, re-wind, and resume. I do other things, but when I’m ready to sit again, it hits the spot.

I also like the recipe demonstrations, and learning what they want me to know about the culture of South Africa.

There was mention of koeksister and koesister.

When a guy tries to give it to a girl without recognizing they are not the same thing, she mutters “you’re so white”. :thinking:…and her sister’s name is Bronwyn.

More about koeksister

Still have to look up “agony aunt”.

1 Like
2 Likes

The dance shown throughout and at the end is called the Nama Riel (also Riel or Rieldans). It’s a dusty jitterbug with ancient roots that has recently made a resurgence in popularity. Rieldans is a Khoisan word for an ancient celebratory dance performed by various South African indigenous groups. It is considered one of the oldest dancing styles of indigenous South Africa. Search the words “Nama Riel” for a treat of several videos showing the dance.”

I agree that season 2 of Reacher wasn’t as good as season 1, but I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to season 3.

Some of the popular British detective/police shows haven’t appealed to me–Shetland, Broadchurch, and Vera being the first three that come to mind.

I really liked the Inspector Morse spin-offs Endeavour and Lewis. New Tricks is another favorite.

I’m currently watching MasterChef (USA). I’m almost to the end of season 3. I haven’t been all that impressed with the cooking, but it’s been kind of interesting seeing Gordon Ramsay play second fiddle jack-ass to Joe Bastianich.

2 Likes

I’m watching Tokyo Vice on HBO, about an American working for a Japanese newspaper, and getting friendly with the Tokyo police and yakuza to become a great reporter.

So far so good - the first episode is even directed by Michael Mann! But, I’m being let down by the very poor subtitling of the HBO app. Translations (both from English and Japanese) are more than half of the time not available, so I’m missing the finer details of the story.

Anybody else have problems with HBO’s subtitling? I experienced this earlier as well. As a non-native English speaker I like English subtitling just generally.

1 Like

“The Taste of Things”looks like it will be worth a watch.

Also the documentary mentioned in the review (Menus-Plaisirs — Les Troisgros)

3 Likes

The Decline, a French Canadian film about a survivalist camp going wrong (how could that possibly be? :smile:). Subtitled.

1 Like

I enjoyed that one,

I’m watching Boardwalk Empire, another one of those oldies but goodies I somehow missed.

3 Likes

I never got into it when it was on, and it’s been on my list since. (Like the Sopranos, which I did eventually get to.)

2 Likes

Oh, man - what a great show that was! First time I ever noticed Michael Stuhlbarg (who seems to be in everything these days).

1 Like

Definitely enjoyed BWE and was sorry to see it end.

1 Like

Can’t remember where I heard about it but I’ve been watching Kim’s Convenience on Netflix. It’s a Canadian comedy about a Korean family that runs a small convenience store. Dad, Mom, daughter and semi-estranged son in very natural daily scenarios along with several repeating ancillary characters. Short episodes. Lots of fun!! Son is played by Simu Liu who has come a long way since this show from 2016-2021.

2 Likes

I enjoyed that show a lot (especially as so many immigrant experiences overlap) and so was quite sad when the actors spoke out towards the end about lack of representation or cultural context in the writers’ room and elsewhere behind the scenes. Apparently the writer of the play the show was based on, Ins Choi, left at some point, though on the plus side, looks like he’s taken the original play back to the stage.

2 Likes