What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

Somerset, where the show is set, isnt known for its cream teas - that would be nearby counties of Devon and Cornwall. But the obvious answer to your question is jam first - as anyone who has tried to spread jam onto cream will testify.

Pasties - side or top crimped?

Red or brown sauce on your bacon butty/sarnie. Or on your cob/barm/bap.

By the by, Ralf Little was raised in Bolton which is on the northern side of my metro area. Better educated than me, going to a fee paying school and being academic enough to go to university.

1 Like

About the only time I’ve agreed with the British monarch.

We are watching Julia Robert’s in Homecoming (2018). I’m not really into it but the scoring is interesting.

Best line from the latest True Detective: “Et voilà - corpsicle.” :rofl:

New season of Great British Menu starts in a few days, so I am catching up on season 18 on Daily Motion thanks to @Annegrace

Anyone familiar with this?

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! Guess we have to wait for it on daily motion.

1 Like

Gosh. I can’t believe it’s been going so long as 19 seasons. I watched the first two. The next two I just watched the week it was the northwest. Then got completely bored with it and havent watched since.

1 Like

Can’t let this go by without mentioning Sleuth, an amazing 2 hander with Sir Lawrence Olivier.

Follow that up with its spiritual successor, Deathtrap, w/ Caine and Christopher Reeve.

3 Likes

Last couple seasons I watched on Daily Motion I skipped forward and watched the two who had made it to the judges tables for each region and then of course the finals. The judges have really changed in the last few years. I really like Tom Kerridge but always a bit mystified why they brought someone on who can’t eat any shellfish.

1 Like

All That Jazz (1979) dir- Bob Fosse

What a difference 40 years makes.

I saw this in the early 80’s on cable. I was a theater kid, so the appeal was obvious. I was also a cardiac patient, so that aspect had a dark sort of draw. But it made a lasting impression. The not-quite-a-musical nature of it, the strange hallucinatory sequences w/ Jessica Lange. The DANCING, of course.

And at the center, Roy Scheider at the very tippy top of his game, exuding an irresistible charm as Bob Fosse, errr, I mean, “Joe Gideon”, a choreographer and director who is simultaneously launching a new Broadway show while editing his latest film project and generally neglecting everyone in his life, living off a diet of cigarettes, dexidrine, and meaningless sex. Tearful confessions from an ex lead not to introspection, but inspiration for a dance number.

Now, viewing it 40 years later as a 50-something, still a cardiac patient, well, it hits differently, let me tell you. Watching Gideon sabotage himself, over and over, knowing full well what he’s doing, puts thoughts of mortality and meaning in my head that I simply had no reference for as a teenager.

Dark, but not exactly bleak, and with stunning sights of dance and cinema that no other director would stage.

And yes, this is the movie that Paula Abdul ‘borrowed’ the concept from for this

4 Likes

He’s matured in recent years. In his early cookery programmes, he was like a big kid at times - right down to schoolboy giggling at a fart noise that something made. He’s recently done a documentary series about our hospitality industry which was excellent.

Our “celebration season” is over a three week period in July/August - both birthdays and the anniversary. We usually try to have one “big event”. This year, we’re thinking of going to Kerridge’s Michelin 2 star restaurant for dinner. Or maybe stay overnight in one of his cottages and do lunch next day at his other place.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find it; do you have the name?

ETA NVM. Found it

3 Likes

2001: A Space Odyssey (1969) dir - Stanley Kubrick

If you haven’t seen it, go see it. Preferably on a big screen in a real theater. Even more preferably projected from a nice 70mm print as I got to view today.

It’s a classic for a reason, I refer you to waves at YouTube film geeks for all you could want and way way way more.

Just know that it holds up, and the effects continue to be the apex of the craft.

Note that Kubrick built in an intermission at the 1hr 30min mark. Good theaters also do that. So don’t feel guilty if you’re viewing at home. It’s part of the ‘original vision’ snerk

1 Like

The Strays. Fascinating, different, unexpected ending.

Tonight I turned on again for the umpteenth time . Under The Tuscan Sun . Another log on the fire . I enjoy the cinematography. Actors and actresses.
I have been to Cortona italy . Francis Mayes home .

1 Like

Nice tribute to Norman Jewison. RIP. It may be time to rewatch Moonstruck!

Norman Jewison: a staggering array of work from Hollywood’s master …

2 Likes

Ummmm… what did I just watch here? Beau is Afraid may just be one of the strangest, whackiest, weirdest movies I have seen in a very, very long time. Neither Hereditary nor Midsommar - both certainly strange films from the same director - come even close. Kafkaesque would be a good descriptor.

I also wish my PIC had told me in advance that the movie is 2 hours and 59 minutes long, as we initially opted against watching Killers of the Flower Moon due to its length.

Watch at your own risk…

2 Likes

Beau Is Afraid could uncharitably summed up as “Ari Aster has Mommy Issues”

I found it fascinating, but pretty deeply flawed. I appreciate an uncompromising vision brought to screen, focus groups and mass appeal be damned. And such personal visions are often highly idiosyncratic and opaque. See, for instance, Lynch’s Eraserhead which could similarly be trivially summed up as “Lynch is freaked out by fatherhood.” But where Eraserhead hangs together in its upsetting beauty, Beau Is Afraid feels too self indulgent, too far, excuse the phrase, up its own ass to be enjoyable, especially for a 3 hour runtime that could have lost at least 30 min with just a little tighter edit.

I like Aster as a filmmaker, but everyone has a clunker once in a while. The Coens have Ladykillers, Nolan had Tenet.

Hopefully Aster can get back to making us squirm out of discomfort and terror rather than boredom.

1 Like

So. Much. This. The movie had its moments, but… yeah. I can’t really recommend it.