What foods taste bitter to you?

I love kale! Menus can have both Caesar and kale salad. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s very interesting to see the lists of which foods others find bitter. Bell peppers, cilantro, ginger, parsnips, etc. - none of these are bitter to my palate. Most ā€œbitterā€ greens, like kale, collards, mustard greens, etc. have a slight but pleasant bitterness to them to my palate. Like Presunto, though, I donā€™t have much of a taste for sweets and I think my tolerance for bitterness is much higher than usual because of that. I like dark chocolate and find anything lower in cacao than 75% to be far too sweet. I drink my coffee with half and half only.

One ā€œbitterā€ thing I have trouble with is beer. However, itā€™s not so much the bitter flavor I dislike, but rather the hop flavor, which I would describe more as a vegetal acridity. IPA especially tastes like bile to me. The only other food I know of that has this same flavor is broccoli rabe, of all things.

2 Likes

Ginger and radishes are spicy to me, not bitter. But I love spicy foods so maybe enjoying the burn is part of it.

I do have a sweet tooth - Iā€™ve been in pastry for 20 years - but itā€™s lessened considerably over time due to overexposure. Iā€™ve been wanting to add an 85% dark chocolate bar to my lineup, so itā€™s nice to hear from someone who likes it dark.

But now I do feel a little bad about the kale ā€œwhite chocolateā€ I made for april foolā€™s - I was hurt by how much some people hated it, but if their genes make it taste like bile then itā€™s not their fault.

Speaking of bile, I was prepping an herbes de provence mix recently and took a bite out of the fresh lavender. It wasnā€™t the usual tubular flowers, but the fleshier Spanish type. Man, that was horrible! Up there with rhubarb-mustard jam at a resto in NY years ago. I hold grudges against bad food!

Tru Dat! I keep thinking of that ā€œbiter beer faceā€ commercial back in the 90s. These guys are popping up everywhere, none know how to make a lager or a nice pilsner

In defense of our breweries here in SoCalā€¦ thatā€™s just not the case. Up to half the beers they offer at any given time may be IPAs but there are many at each that arenā€™t. We were at one last week where about 9 of 15 or so weā€™re not. This one has a Pilsner and two lagers.

Those are super bitter. I donā€™t do bitter well

I donā€™t consider myself hypersensitive to bitter. (I drink my coffee black and enjoy IPAā€™s.) But yesterday I had some really bitter zucchini in a stir fryā€¦ I find that some zucchini/courgette can be super sweet and some can be quite bitter unless they are cooked until soft. I prefer mine NOT cooked through till softā€¦cooked but still substantial. Sometimes they are bitter if there is any firmness left.

Oh, yeah, definitely genetic. At least I didnā€™t get the soapy-cilantro gene. My dad has that, and I suspect he also has bitter-sensitivity.

There are two different issues: (1) how strongly do you taste bitter, and (2) how much do you dislike the bitterness.

There are some times when I enjoy a bite of bitterness, especially, as others have noted, when itā€™s balanced by sweetness or used to keep sweetness from being cloying. Itā€™s a little like enjoying a cold day: you feel the cold, but youā€™re dressed appropriately enough that the cold is a pleasant briskness. Salt also counteracts bitterness. Both grapefruit and tonic are bitter, but sometimes I enjoy ā€“ even crave ā€“ a cocktail with them.

But I hate coffee and beer. Bitter melon is inedible. I was served an herbal soup once that was also inedible.

I also hate soft drinks. I have a low tolerance for anything with bubbles, really (my mom once was fussing about not having enough champagne flutes, and I said thatā€™s fine, Iā€™ll take a regular glass since Iā€™m going to try to make it go flat anyway); I taste the carbon dioxide (or whatever chemical is being produced by the bubbles) as bitter.

But sour ā€“ bring it on!

1 Like

I also find bitterness in most greens tolerable (I love bitter melon!), but most greens are barely bitter to me ā€“ like kale and broccoli rabe. I do find the occasional radicchio or arugula a little strong, but itā€™s never stopped me from finishing my food.

Oddly, I find tonic water and some seltzer waters super bitter and undrinkable. Grew up also on a few classic chinese herbal soups and teas that were quite bitter. Canā€™t say I loved them, but Iā€™ve grown much more accustomed to them and can eat/drink it with no issues.

1 Like

Not food, I donā€™t really like Negroni, tried several times different versions, still a no.

I know some taste may need to be ā€œeducatedā€ to acquireā€¦ But this, maybe I will pass.

1 Like

Not a fan of bitter as well. I just donā€™t get Campari. Maybe itā€™s a genetic thing. Bought broccoli rabe only to toss it because it was so bitter