What do you expect your waiters/waitresses to know?

If I were the owner, I would reprimand the server.
High in calories, not good when on a diet, rather hearty than light? Yes.
Not very good? Fired.

You are speaking for them now?

Not every single one will, but some will. And that is good enough. I donā€™t need 100% of them tell me to avoid a subpar dish, but even 25% of them do, then I just gain 25% of trying something better. I have nothing to lose by asking. Some even told me before I ask, especially managers/owners to usual customers.

I am not sure if you are trolling or if you think HungryOnion is too quiet. I will let you have your floor and your idealism. But I will tell you this very simple fact:

Most of the time the vegetables are on average ā€“ that is the very definition of ā€œaverageā€. Things cannot always be in prime all of the time ā€“ that would go against the definition. Most dishes have multiple ingredients. The idea that every single ingredient on that dish and every other dishes are ā€œin primeā€ ā€“ is a little ā€¦ idealistic.

Maybe your joke is on the fact that you kept saying ā€œIf I am the ownerā€¦ā€

5 Likes

Who said that?

Not me.

I you were familiar with trolls, youā€™d know. IMHO, HungryOnion is neither too quiet, nor too vocal, just yet another public forum on the net.

I feel sad you think Iā€™m joking when I say ā€œIf I am the ownerā€¦ā€ because no seller would admit what they sell is sub-par, otoh, they will say the quality/price is the best.

On a different occasion, at that same restaurant, my mom ordered chicken chow mein, and that same server asked her, ā€œDo you know what that is? Is that what you really want?ā€

If youā€™re a server and think the customerā€™s choice goes against what you think his/her understanding is, it is your duty to make sure everything is clearly understood.
Bonus for this server, excellent service.

I think this is true. A place makes a dish even if one ingredient is not 100% because their customers get mad if they come in for that specific dish and cannot get it.

A somewhat similar thing is that I once asked for some mussels at mt local market (a major chain). The guy behind the counter told me that they were not very fresh. Not inedible, just not as fresh as they could be. I asked him why they were being sold if not perfectly fresh and he said because someone else will come in and ask for them, he will tell them the same thing he told me and they will not care and buy them anyway because their heart was set on making some recipe. His feeling was that hey would be upset if they did not have them at all and it was better to have something for them. This being a big chain, I am sure he has no control what is ordered anyway. Same thing with restaurants. Some customers are not going to care if the produce is top notch or not so many restaurants will serve a dish that might have less than stellar ingredients. I want to know what magical city/town DLovsky eats in where all restaurants only use the finest ingredients. I would say that I would like to eat at his or her hypothetical restaurant but the servers sound like ass holes.

8 Likes

LOL! Although you highlight a few good points.
There is, might be, a discrepancy between what an employee says, and what a stakeholder would say. And if the stakeholder finds out, actions will be taken, while actions will not always be fruitful anyway, depending on business size.
Many times, I am astonished how little the store cares, after going through the cashier, the cashier mgr, the dept mgr, and the store mgr. Why? Because in the end, the question is: does it affect the bottom line? If not, then chaos for you, routine for them. I now learned how to circumvent this non-sense, to me, not to them, and thatā€™s the part you all are missing.

I never said all restaurants only use the finest ingredients, I said, no restaurant will admit not using the finest ingredients, and no diversion will be based on failures, rather alternatives.

Where I live, server turnover is astronomical. There are no 20-year vets, or even 10-year vets at front of house. Expecting a server to steer you gently to the best on the menu, that day, is a crap shoot. Iā€™ve learned to pick my main and live with the result.

2 Likes

I would never say no restaurant will admit to not using the finest like others here I have been steered away from a dish before but it is true enough that in most cases the response is a shocked look followed by the explanation that everything is fresh. Any other response would likely get them in trouble unless they themselves were the owner.

2 Likes

Yes, and very sad that is, as a simple server as commonly viewed by the public at large could easily be transformed into a powerful marketing tool, but hey, idealists arenā€™t we all right? Nothing to do with min wage and respect, right? ā€¦ (rhetorical, for those who donā€™t quiet get it)

1 Like

You make my case.

You are making the assumption that people in restaurants always treat you like a little kid. Everyone knows not all ingredients are always fresh, there is no point of pretending otherwise. As for alternative, everyone knows that, which is why you always give them a choice of recommending something else. You are not the only one notice that.

If ā€¦

ā€¦ why asking then?[quote=ā€œChemicalkinetics, post:32, topic:5450ā€]
You are not the only one notice that
[/quote]
Until now, I kinda thought I was, glad to hear it!

Because some of the ingredients are fresher than others?

Iā€™m curious as to why so many inferior chain restaurants then remain in business, as well as individual owner restaurants (see: Kitchen Nightmares) with their Sysco products. Concessions on quality abound at many restaurants.

1 Like

ā€¦ and I am the suspected troll? ā€¦ you just made me pee a little ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, but they donā€™t advertise it, do they?

Glad you know how to pee. :slight_smile:

cause you donā€™t?

I do, but I didnā€™t think you can.