What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

rum infused with mulberry, gran classico, hazelnut cream, mulberry garnish (from Alta, San Francisco )

This looks so perfect for summer. How sweet was the drink? I just saw mulberries for the first time at the FM and had to ask what they were.

With take out Thai food last night. Big flavor and a nice bitterness.

Not terribly sweet actually. Balanced with some lime juice and I saw them slip some orange juice in there also. First time I’ve had mulberries, very tasty fruit.

I don’t think I have ever had a tasty mulberry. Had both white and red varieties growing in my area and would always eat a few, but thought they were kind of boring tasting.

its nice having a garnish now and then which is not just the usual cherry, or orange/lemon peel, etc.

The ones I’ve had here are purple Pakistan mulberries

I was thinking about that pic, and the mulberry looks about 3-4 times as long as the ones that grow around here. I think they must have been bred for the fruit, and the ones here were brought to the North East US as ornamental trees. I’ll have to play with the berries in a few weeks when they ripen.

Dave Wondrich’s Old Bay Ridge. Rittenhouse rye, aquavit , demerara syrup, angostura, lemon twist. Spicy and delicious.

2 Likes

Aussie, totally unrelated to the drink, but where did you get your bar from (the one in the background of the pic)? We are looking for something like that and can’t find one we like. They are either too modern (black, glass, etc) or too pub like.

At Arte de Mexico in Los Angeles. We bought it about 5 years ago and really like it. I’ll try to get you a better picture of both side. The back side has drawers in the middle and shelving on both sides for bottle storage.

That would be great! Thanks!

We were at a fantastic BBQ place in Seattle today. I don’t remember what they called it but it was mezcal, ancho chile liqueur and sparkling limeade. So refreshing and not too spicy. Went down easy. Could be dangerous :wink:

Boogie…here are the pics.

Front and back of the bar. The bottle storage is ample and so is the drawer space. Off to the side is the wet bar space.

4 Likes

Thank you! This is the kind of bar we have been looking for. We’ll have to get over to Arte de Mexico and take a look!

They usually have a big Memorial Day sale.

1 Like

Barrel aged Boulevardier for DH.

A barrel aged Boulevardier can be a fantastic drink. Not all barrel aged drinks come out well, but the Negroni/Boulevardier is probably the best. I put barrel aged Boulevardier’s on the menu at two different places recently.

1 Like

i’m partial to the one at Wayfare tavern (SF)-- bourbon, dolin rouge, gran classico. Another barrel aged drink which i thought was fantastic was the White hook at Canon (Seattle)-- white whiskey, punt e mes, maraschino https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBmme2Xs1es

1 Like

Jamie Boudreau at Canon makes great cocktails. Never been to Canon but had his cocktails at pop ups and at Tales. Gran Classico is a great amaro. I made a cocktail that used those same ingredients.

I haven’t been to Wayfare, haven’t been to SF in awhile. Last time I did I was with a whole bunch of bartenders and distillers and last thing I remember was Martin Cate at Smugglers Cove just after he first opened, saying he was going to make me something special…

1 Like