What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

A Mai Tai from a recipe in the Smuggler’s Cove book. 2 oz Denizen Merchant’s Reserve rum, 0.5 oz Pierre Ferrand orange curaçao, 0.25 oz Mai Tai syrup (2:1 Demerara syrup made with a little vanilla extract and a pinch of salt), 0.25 oz Small Hands orgeat syrup, 0.75 oz fresh lime juice.

That Mai Tai sounds just about perfect right now! Do you deliver? :heart_eyes:

:foggy::tropical_drink::flight_departure::flight_arrival::tropical_drink::sun_with_face:

I think emojis are broken :frowning:

Many Rojas and finshed off a nice 21 yr old Armgnac in San Sabastian this evening to top off the night

1 Like

Planter’s Punch from a recipe in the Smuggler’s Cove book - lime juice, blended aged Jamaican rum, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Demerara syrup, Angostura bitters.

1 Like

Ti’ punch with Neisson rhum agricole blanc, cane syrup, a few drops of lime. I like it. Simple drink that really lets the flavor of the agricole rum come through.

1 Like

Great morning drink

1 Like

You can’t lay on the beach and drink rum all day unless you start in the morning

1 Like

Puka Punch - orange juice, lime juice, pineapple juice, angostura bitters, falernum, honey syrup, passionfruit syrup, Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 Year rum, Mount Gay Eclipse rum, Gosling’s Black Seal rum, Hamilton Overproof 151 rum.

1 Like

That sounds like a tasty tiki drink. A big blend of juices, and several styles of rum. I’m sure the Hamilton’s 151 demerara rum really rounds it out with its complexity.

1 Like

It was good! Substantial. The 151 rum is floated on top, recipe from the Smugglers Cove book adapted from Beachbum Berry Remixed, originally from the Tiki-Ti in LA. Found a recipe online more or less here: https://themeektiki.wordpress.com/2016/09/21/all-in-puka-punch/

I thought that sounded familiar.

Do you have Beachbum’s original recipe from the Tiki-Ti? So you could compare Martin’s from Smugglers Cove vs. Ray Buhens from the Tiki-Ti?

I don’t, Beachbum Berry Remixed is definitely on my list of cocktail books to get. A bunch of recipes in the SC book list that as a source. I did find a recipe online from Beachbum Berry’s Intoxica: http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/puka-punch/ which looks pretty similar to the one in the SC book.

Aurora cocktail from the Canon book. I’m really enjoying this book!
Absinthe rinse, cognac, rye, splash of St. Germain, dash of simpler and dash bitter, all topped with champagne.

1 Like

Puka Punch – Ray Buhen, Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles, CA, 1961
1 oz. light PR rum
1 oz. gold VI rum
¾ oz. dark Jamaican rum
1 oz. lime juice
¾ oz. orange juice
¾ oz. pineapple juice
¾ oz. passion fruit syrup
¾ oz. honey syrup
¼ oz. Falernum syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters
¾ oz. Lemon Hart Demerara 151, float
1 cup crushed ice

Put all except 151 in blender and blend five seconds. Pour into a tall glass. Float 151 on top. Garnish with cherry, pineapple, orange.

1 Like

A hurricane - 4 oz Gosling’s Black Seal rum, 2 oz fresh lemon juice, 2 oz B. G. Reynolds passion fruit syrup. I liked this more than the one I remember having from Pat O’Brien’s, which tasted like Kool Aid. The lemon balances out the sweetness of the passionfruit syrup nicely. Kind of strong with 4oz of rum.

1 Like

Pat O’Briens switched to using a pre-made liquid or powder mix, instead of passionfruit. I’m not sure when, but by at least the mid-1980’s, because they were selling, and using, the powder form on my visits then.

1 Like

Which is kind of a shame as the original recipe has only three ingredients, is pretty easy to make, and tastes a lot better (IMHO). I guess a pre-made mix may be cheaper.

Picked a recipe from a local SoCal mag called Tidewater. This morning I made a spiced persimmon mix by boiling persimmon, orange juice, ginger, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla bean. Then blend and strain.

The cocktail is scotch, persimmon mix, lime juice, and a drop of maple syrup. I was skeptical, but this was really good.

1 Like