What baking pan liner do you use?

I hear you. Do you have a way to get them really clean? Once used they seem to have a coating of grease or oil I can’t get off.

Someone else also mentioned the crumple up method for rolls of parchment. So I just tried it with mine, it seems to work…it takes most of the curl out to the point where at least it doesn’t spring back into a curl. Then you can spread it out and flatten the sheet better.

I haven’t tried baking with it yet. I worry about all the creases caused by crumpling it up. Do the creases leave indentations in the food?

1 Like

You have to clean them straight out of the oven. Bake them on a sheet pan at 400F for say 10 mins, then transfer to your sink, and clean right away. You can fill your sink with soapy water like when cleaning dishes, but work fast because the mat will cool down quickly.

1 Like

You’ve convinced me to stay with parchment paper. grin

2 Likes

I don’t usually bake anything soft enough that the creases are visible when done. Mostly breads, rolls, pastries, etc.

4 Likes

You have no idea how happy it makes me to learn I’m not the only one who hates that roll up thing.

Nevertheless, that’s what I use. I put a bit of Crisco on the pan, or sheet, and it sticks.

Then there’s the problem of cutting it to size, but that’s another thread.

2 Likes

Silpat or parchment pop-ups, occasionally both.

2 Likes

Silpat, parchment paper & teflon sheets. I agree with all the comments posted, will try the crumpling method with the rolled parchment… Thanks!

1 Like

For those who use a silicone baking mat like Silpat, is it difficult to keep clean? If so, why?

I’ve tried parchment paper(too slippery), but I second non stick foil on baking sheets for cookies, biscuits and rolls. Strong enough to fit loosely in corners without splitting and it stays in place.

It can be wiped clean with paper towels and used over again. I don’t consider myself a thrifty cook by any means, but I am a “clean” one and it doesn’t bother me in the least to do this. It just seems a shame to throw a useful product like this out after one use for no reason.

1 Like

Yeah, because water.

“You can fill your sink with soapy water like when cleaning dishes”

:neutral_face:

What? Is that just a California question?

Water conservation on most boats makes California water supplies look like luxury. grin

I greatly appreciate the insight from @bmorecupcake on how to clean silicone products so they are really clean. The upside of silicone is less paper waste, balanced by more water and soap use. The major upside of parchment paper is clean up is literally seconds; the downside is more paper waste.

Horses for courses. In my head, silicone is analogous to food processors. “Look how fast!” “Look how long you take to clean!” Jeepers. Use a knife. As is so often the case I digress.

Now in fairness, some things don’t seem to take well to liners of any sort. Then we’re back to soaking pans. I do try to scrape them first to make cleaning easier but that doesn’t save any water.

For @shrinkrap and other Californians, my previous wife–who turned out to be psychotic–had her good points. Raised in a huge family (eight siblings, thirty-five in the next generation) that went camping she could wash a huge amount of dishes in about two cups of water. It’s hard to beat a full dishwasher for water efficiency but she could by huge amounts.

1 Like

I agree about the waste. And when I sous vide I think about the water AND the plastic.

2 Likes

It all depends on the project and the pan; the only liner I don’t use is non stick foil - have never tried it, even.

If I’m working with familiar pans that I know to be easy release, and known recipes, I’ll frequently just spray or mist with oil. If it’s a new recipe, or a special occasion cake or dessert, I’ll use what’s suggested in the recipe.

Frequently I’ll make things in smaller amounts, and will use mini or regular cupcake liners, that I’ve sprayed with oil first, so the batter doesn’t stick to the paper.

For most cookies, I’ll just use cookie sheets, even if the recipe calls for parchment, unless they’re really delicate, sticky cookies.

I have one Silpat, which I use dead last.

1 Like

Parchment in flat sheets. They are large enough that I can trace and cut out circles up to 13" diameter if needed. I bought a big box of the sheets 20 years ago at a restaurant supply store, and haven’t been through half of them yet!

2 Likes

How often can you re-use nonstick tin foil?

Here you go.

“Basically, as long as you don’t rip your sheet of foil and have clean sides to work with, you can reuse it forever. That being said, if you rip your clean foil , it still has lots of other applications. You can crumple it into a ball to use as a pot scrubber, or cut through the layers to sharpen scissors.”

Apparently there are a few things to do with it after you’re done with it.

If reuse is a primary concern, forget the nonstick foil. Buy heavy duty and use baking spray on it, or swab it with oil.

1 Like

Great idea @greygarious - love the strength of heavy duty foil.

I disagree - at least with non stick foil you don’t have to use cooking spray. That’s the beauty of it.