What are your "must order" dishes/ingredients at any restaurants?

This is me 95% of the time.

I am a fairly good cook so I am usually looking to order something I wouldn’t make at home. I almost always go for things with unusual flavor combinations I never would have thought of. The one exception is a steak - for some reason I don’t have a good touch with steak and have lots of trouble with something that shouldn’t be too hard.

3 Likes

How could I forget pork belly? I can’t eat a lot of it bc it’s so rich, but I do love it in most preps.

2 Likes

Portland, Maine Hannaford’s Gal whole milk $4.77. 2% is $4.49. Oakurst ( the premium local brand) whole is $5.37 a gallon. Wife is freaking out…me too for that matter. :scream:

Whoa. Lowell, MA Hannaford prices are:

Hannaford Whole/2%/1%/Skim Milk - $2.59/gallon. Half gallons of same are $2.19.
Hood Whole/2%/1%/Skim Milk - $5.69/gallon or $3.39/half gallon (our local-to-Boston brand)
Stonyfield Organic 2% Milk - $5.29/half gallon

1 Like

An Army buddy and I went to that Japanese teppanyaki chain Benihana’s during a short leave in Acapulco.

Expecting a nice show (my friend was from NYC and had been to Benihana’s there before and really talked it up to me), we were disappointed when the chef came out and was obviously a home-grown local, and proceeded to just cook the food the way you or I would at home.

4 Likes

Oh no! That takes all the fun out of it.

4 Likes

That looks really good.

I like trying new Bennies, too.

2 Likes

Chicken hearts. I can’t pass them up, particularly if they are grilled. These are from from tonight at Rei Do Gado, a Brazilian steakhouse in San Diego:

7 Likes

If I go Mexican, I’m getting chilaquiles. Count on it.

I love the way German restos by me do goulash.

When I grow Greek, anything with lamb.

Polish, I need czarnina.

At times, I just see a sign for pho and I’m ready.

Near a southern ocean, red snapper.

Mussels and fries (or good bread) near any ocean.

If I go to Mexico, pretty much everything.

3 Likes

Thank God they are chicken hearts, Amandarama!
I thought you were eating hog snouts!

3 Likes

They’ve always been a NO for me :wink:

3 Likes

Ahhhrrggg!!!
The horror!!!

Snout sammies!

1 Like

I have a photo of Spanish snouts in northern Spain, somewhere

2 Likes

Hi Amandarama, I’m wondering if you’ve ever checked out any Japanese Yakitori restaurants. They skewer and grill just about every piece of a chicken seperately. The place down the street from me is no longer in business, but the hearts and “base of the heart” were some of the few organ meats I’ve ever enjoyed.

1 Like

They are still served at a few places in KC.
Vestiges of the stockyard days.

Mouseau vinaigrette SINGS! Hog snouts, simmered, sliced and served in a brisk vinaigrette with cornachon pickles. I LOVE IT!
Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 2.37.29 PM

eta. another example of my mantra, “no bad foods, only bad cooks”.

6 Likes

Mostly on point:

pp. 30, 39:

4 Likes

Our son bought me this book. Says something.

4 Likes

Diner: BLT and chicken noodle soup.

Fancy restaurant with dedicated pastry chef: Any seasonal fruit dessert on offer.

Any restaurant in my current area (Southeastern PA): any crab soup on the menu (choices are vegetable crab and cream of crab - I love them both.)

Japanese: cold soba noodles (in season) with dipping sauce.

Sushi place: yellowtail scallion roll.

Ice creamery: strawberry.

Gelateria in Italy: pistachio.

6 Likes

Waste not, want not

Our journey to Smithfield was twice worth it.

1 Like